Question about AFK detect system

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Orion GM BD, May 8, 2017.

1. Orion GM BD

Orion GM BD Well-Known Member

With the fishing event going I'm out fishing tonight and had to take a break. So as usual I stopped my fishing marcos
    and hide my chars and went afk.
    I got side tracked by the wife wanting to [insert any "want" wives may want], after filling the request I sit down and
    one of my chars has the afk gump asking to me verify I'm at the keyboard.
    I have no idea how long it had been up, so I did hit the correct option to verify I was present.

The question is I was not running any macros at the time I received the gump, so I assume if I hadn't got it in time, I would have be jailed?
    Did the detector get turned up for the event? [Understandable]
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    I think I have been jailed once in my time here, so if I did get sent, my record could have been assessed
    to see I'm not a frequent offender.

I'm not bitching or moaning or evening complaining, in fact I support the afk system 100%, just trying to figure out why I was hit when I wasn't running a macro.

Thank you

[Additional point] When I pull a serp, I normally use one to 2 chars to kill. I stop the macros before attempting to kill the serp. Leaving the 3rd char idle. Could that 3rd char be targeted by the system? Depending on the kill, I could be away more the the 2 minutes or whatever the timer.
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

I fished for like 8 hours total, not one gump. I mined for 2 hours with 3 gumps. Random I'd say.

Also BoDs are supposed to have timers on them but I don't think they do. So many afk bod guys it's ridiculous.

Unless you're snap dragon then it's great for you!
    Fullmetal likes this.
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I have no evidence to support this, but I'm pretty sure the AFK system waits to strike, only appearing when you stop to use the bathroom or grab something from the kitchen.

My understanding is that the prompt only comes up when you 'catch' the fish, so you could have casted a line, walked away, then the gump came up. But if you had missed the prompt, you would have been sent to jail for 5~ mins.

I don't think Telamon has ever increased the AFK system frequency.

Only about 11 times.

Yeah Telamon checks how frequently you visit jail, even if you miss the gump by a few seconds and PM a GM, they'll check the logs and see you were active within seconds of missing the gump.

If you aren't fishing, then the gump should not appear.
    Kirby and Orion GM BD like this.
  4. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Could it be you stopped the macro but one of your characters already had cast & when it pulled up a fish about 7-8 seconds later that caused the gump?

So bascially..

Your macros are going...

You stop the macro, but fisher #3 had just cast right before you stopped the macro.

Seeing that you stopped all 3 macros (but still under 8 seconds from when fisher #3 cast) you think you're safe so you get up to go do something.

You come back to the gump because right after you left fisher #3's cast that was made before you stopped the macro was successful and pulled up a fish, generating the gump.
    Orion GM BD and Basoosh like this.
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I remember Telamon saying that certain actions have a higher rate of triggering the GUMP as well. Mining being one of the most, if not THE most, likely activity to trigger it.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  6. Orion GM BD

I took in account that "did I just finished a cast just prior to stopping the macros".

That's what prompted my question, I was gone afk for quite awhile, I'd say 10-15 minutes since I stopped the macros. So that's why
    I couldn't figure out why I was getting the gump. I freaked when I saw it and in a panic to make the right choice in the gump as fast I could,
    not knowing how long it had been there.

Thanks for the detailed responses from @Deacon & @Jean-Pierre, as well as @TreeHugger & @Basoosh

Cheers!!
  7. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

8. Orion GM BD

@snap dragon

Its just....
    double click [fishing pole]
    wait for target
    target relative location
    pause 7.00sec
  9. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Havn't mined yet, but to me it seems farming cotton has the highest chance of triggering the gump. I get one every single time, even if I pick up only a few. On the other side I never got a gump while lumberjacking.
    Basoosh likes this.
  10. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

I fished one week in a row with 3 chars and:
    1. Got 2 gumps
    2. Got 1 gump
    3. Got no gumps at all
    I managed to see them in time and give the right answer. I even stopped the macro when visiting the bathroom after I got the third gump. ;)
  11. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

HAHA I just said this to someone a few days ago!
  12. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

I tried to make a macro collecting cotton, but I failed. Do you have a copy of that macro that I can try?
    Kirby likes this.
  13. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

No, sorry, I don't use a macro. I am actually collecting cotton manually. I only use the Scavenger Agent. I do this 4-5 times per evening (only Occlo and occasionally Moonglow) and get about 50 cotton a run. Enough to fuel my tailors in training.

Due to the fact that there are several cotton/flax fields and cotton/flax seems to spawn randomly in those fields and you also would have to implement recall/drop cotton in bank etc. a macro would have to be pretty sophisticated, I think.