Question about metals

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Soulman, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

So does the metal that armor or weapons are made of have any affect on the item? I would assume that a valorite spear would be Better than an iron one but I Haven't been able to find any info.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

AR ratings of armor is the only impact ore types have in general.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsj01neyskzqcf1/Armor2.xlsx

That sheet was compiled by myself and if I recall correctly, Wulver?

Anyway, you can get magic properties on weapons by crafing with Runic Hammers, using the matching ore type (ie: Shadow Runic Hammer + Shadow Ingots = Shadow Runic Weapon)

Runic weapons can combine GM quality bonus with magic property bonuses. Anything north of Golden Runic is better than Vanquishing, for damage mods.
  3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Thanks for the info. I forgot that they have the runic hammer on this shard, didn't think about that aspect.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Great file. Really underscores why mages are so powerful here, and full dexers are not.

Out of a set of invulnerability leather armor, you can get 48 AR.

If you're willing to move your template away from the magical crafts and neuter your mana regeneration, the best you can do without hurting your stamina is 53 AR.

And if you're willing to sacrifice your mana *and* your swing speed, you can give up 10 DEX and get AR of 68.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've mentioned the concepts of bonuses for ore-types/armor types before, which came along with Age of Shadows. I believe Ezekiel or other were adamantly opposed. I'm still in favor, even if we can only get the bonuses to work in PvM, and not at all in PvP.

However, I feel like a boost to say, Magic Resist, by wearing a full plate suit of valorite would not only put some of these items in the field (ie: no one friggen wears metal armor unless they want to look cool) but would make you feel like much less of a gimp for opting to not be a mana dumping mage.
  6. Dalavar

My .02... and this based largely on numerical analysis and not a ton of field experience...

...but in my .02, the problem is not that metal armor is too weak... it's that leather is too strong. There's basically no downside to it. So you're not forced to make a choice between magic and might, or some kind of hybrid between the two. You can get all the offense of magic and its boosted spells in UOR (ahem, Mind Blast), with none of the weakness of having to just wear clothes or jester armor to ensure you can regenerate your mana.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Not to mention even passive mana regeneration is slowed by metal armors, even with 0 Meditation skill.....
  8. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

You recalled correctly Blaisimus, I art thine squire whom assisted thy arse.

I hope metal armor gets a few tweaks of perfection.
  9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I can definitely agree with leather armor being too good, at 37 ar for about 50~ barbed leather it seems to completely overshadow the 250+ val ingots/50 armor/dex penalty from a full plate set.

Truth be told I would love to see leather armor negatively impact on meditation, not only does it look hideous (cap especially) but it gives mages close to the armor level most dexxers have.

However since it is era accurate I guess it will stay, I can only hope it receives a slight decrease in the amount of physical damage it absorbs.
  10. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

if -dex armor receives a buff, leather armor is fine. I can agree that this needs to happen.
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Well, I am glad this is being brought up... slight balances in the area of armor could further customize pvp. The era of leather has to come to an end... and bone armor should get looked at also. I still think my dex hit reduction should be implemented, with a slight decrease in leather AR.
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I could see AR being higher on the metal armors being a good thing. Maybe also the dex penalities being reduced. Barbed armor gives a ton of AR by comparison to the regular leather we wore during this era. What's making up for it is that GM weapons are garbage here and everyone rolls with power/vanqs almost exclusively.
  13. Dalavar

Buffing metal armor and leaving the leathers intact is not going to change anything for you leetpvpers, except that those few who wear the metal armor are going to become even more unable to kill each other.

High-end metal armor already makes you able to shrug off hits from most things, which is as it should be. The problem is that high-end leather armor nearly gets you there too.
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Force spears can easily do 35 against full barbed. How much damage do you think they need to be doing?
  15. Dalavar

How about we first figure out how much damage they're *actually* doing? "Can easily do" sounds like something a politician would say when they either don't know the answer, or want to mislead with statistics.

According to my math, a +25 Force spear being wielded by someone with personal stats of 100 STR, Tactics, and Anatomy, has the following damage range:

min: 5
    avg: 23
    max: 41

...and that's before factoring in armor absorption.

So you see why I don't immediately take your vague, anecdotal assertion at face value.
  16. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  17. Dalavar

Gideon, I'm happy to do more than my share of the work to figure out what's going on here. What makes me less inclined to do so is people giving out BS statistics with no proof whatsoever that merely serve to support their agenda, when I'm trying to have a fact-based discussion.

If you find my tone objectionable, feel free to add me as "Foe" on the board, and you won't have to read my posts again.

If you have anything to add to the discussion at hand (NB: this does not include trying to publicly admonish me with advice that obviously could have reached me via PM), please feel free to do so at any time. Thanks.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Mes actually fields a LOT and I would take his word for common damage levels. He's not only honest and trustworthy, but attentive and intelligent to boot.

Granted, any and all of this can be tested on test server with the Combat Log book.

I agree some adjustments may be in order but figuring out what, is going to be very touchy. I know that fighting guys with full heavy armor on my dexxers is a bitch, the problem is that it basically makes you cannon fodder for a stun mage. As long as the opponent isn't relying on weapon damage, you're completely screwed. There are more tank mages cropping up lately and the only way they're going to pull off the kill without spamming purps and wands, is to wait for a big damage hit, then mana dump. If you're rocking full invuln, it's practically never going to happen.

I like the concept of just sliding the dex penalties down the line so we can wear chainmail with ring arms/gloves and only get a dex penalty for platemail. In the very least, reduce the dex hit significantly on those armor types considering the amount of AR you get over barbed studded is not worth the dex loss you get from wearing what was formerly referred to as a 'dex suit'.

How about platemail negating Mind Blast so I can rock full plate in 100/100/25 stat set and not get merked by three 5th circle casts in a row.
  19. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Lower dex penalties is a good idea. I don't think there's currently a problem with guys in platemail running around killing everyone. It will make wearing heavier armor viable, and it will help dexers deal with tank mages a bit.
    Lowering AR values on leather is not a good idea. AR values for barbed armor are higher than what people were using on OSI servers during this era, but anyone who is well equipped here runs with power+ spears. Weapon damage is still very threatening here.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

We must also consider the proliferation of Runic Weapons. These will only become MORE common over time, as more people hammer out smith bods for runics. That is literally the only thing I am doing smith bods for. The rest of the stuff is just fluff on my way to gloriously overpowered weapons that I can cry about losing once the faction blessing wears off.