Question on Taming

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Ikibahd, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Ikibahd

Ikibahd Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm starting work on my very first tamer (still in the low 60s right now) and have read a bit into Retames.

I wondered, if I started a second tamer right now (on another account, obviously) could I re-tame multiple times juggling between the two accounts? Or does it not work that way, and once an animal is tamed by a character once, they can't be gained off of anymore?

For instance, can tamer a tame polar bear, tamer b re-tame, increasing the level required again, then tamer a tame the same polar bear again for more gains?

Thanks for the help!
  2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Once tamer A tames an animal, he can never gain on it again, even if he wasn't the last owner. If tamer A is any part of the pretame chain, he cannot get back in line.
    Ikibahd likes this.
  3. Ikibahd

Ikibahd Active Member

Ok that's exactly what I guessed was the case - thank you!!
  4. Don Hoolio

Don Hoolio New Member

Just something that helped me. I had a hard time getting gains off scorpions in compassion in that early phase. It was much easier to grab a boat and pull on ice and have a mob kill your tames. I went from 60 to bulls there very fast.

Bulls were horrible though. A lot of griefers and tamers to contend with at the farms. Gains really slow down later on.
    Ikibahd likes this.
  5. Ikibahd

Ikibahd Active Member

Are hellhounds significantly better than bulls at a certain point? I see many posts talking about using them to GM off of.
  6. Don Hoolio

Don Hoolio New Member

Yeah, but I could never get the hytloth method down without the hell hound walking through my wall.

I got to high 90s on bulls and then GMd on white wyrms and dragons trying to get good stats.
  7. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I dont think hell hound mehthod has been effective for a long time. I still tamed them with my tamers tho. I brought a peace dexxer along with tamer in training. Lured 1 or 2 out of the room, kept peace going on them while other char tamed. Once tamed i would peace-kill the hound. I was getting impatient with the slow gains off of bulls and the griefers that came with them.
  8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Hell hounds are great for taming, albeit a bit tricky and dangerous around event season!
  9. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

The way I deal with the hell hounds walking over the orcs is by having the character that is stacked on my tamer looping bandages also attack nearest grey. That way yes the hell hound will walk over the orc and attack your tamer, but the dexxer will make quick work of him. Also a 50/50 provo/music character is enough to perform the needed provocation if you dont have the perfect provo dexxer needed for the task. When I did this I didn't have a provo dexxer so just gated in the new provoker, once i succeeded in the orc/orc provo I hide him in the corner so the provo doesn't lift.
  10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Yeah it's definitely possible with newbie chars. I started the Hell Hounds method when there was a 2 account limit, my 80/50 tamer/mage and my 50/50 provo/music bard were able to get me the gains needed to tame dragons.
  11. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I solved the "creatures can walk at an angle and get where they shouldnt be able to reach" problem by simply provoking another set of orcs. So there was 2 orcs on each side blocking me.
  12. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

Do not forget about the Greater Toad in Ocllo sewers... ;)

//Pekka