Quick Q about Runebooks

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by merlin8666, May 17, 2017.

1. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Are runebooks not blessed? I just died, got resurrected but can't get home because I dont have my runebook anymore!
  2. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

No, runebooks are not blessed on this shard!

You can bless a runebook with the platinum reward (-> reward vendor at banks). But it's quite expensive, so you may have to save up a while.
  3. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

So what's the practice around here in pvming solo? What do you do if you do die and can't go back to retrieve your corpse anytme soon...
  4. Alco

Alco Active Member

Used to die alot on mobs when i started, keep ur runebooks at bank, use help tele away -> ress and regear and hope best you do better next tume. After a while i made gater, which had oly magery trained 85 and i used gate travel scrolls to gate my provo dexer if he died. :) Good luck and welcome!
  5. Alco

Alco Active Member

And forgot to say that keep in mind you can use that help tele 1 or 2 times in 24 hours, somebody can correct me if im wrong.
  6. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Pretty much what Alco wrote. Keep your runebooks in the bank and carry a rune to your bank with you. After dying try to retrieve the body. If not possible, either run to the next moongate (choose Occlo as the bank is only a screen away) or create a second char on a different account. I use the latter. I simply recall to the dead char (always have duplicate runes of the favorite farm spots), ress the first char and provide him with a bag of regs, bandies etc. Most of the times I already gate/recall in with two chars and hide the other one. This way I don't loose much time and get back to farming after a minute or so.
  7. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I like this suggestion better than abusing the help-stuck system, as Alco suggested. If you stay prepared, you can get back into the game very quickly. The help-stuck system isn't there to save you every time you die in a dungeon. It's there in case you get trapped somewhere and have no way of getting out. You can only use it 2x a day, i believe, and it takes 5-10 min to move you, during which time you're frozen in place. If you cancel the help-stuck request, you stay frozen, afaik. @Kalvasflam suggestion is the best so far. Just spend some extra time making sure you have a prepared character and you can save yourself a LOT of time in the long run.
  8. Alco

Alco Active Member

I think help tele (2-3 min if dead) is way faster thrn running from elder gayzers (shame lvl 4) to moongate, or running from titan vallay to papua, feel free to use common sence.
  9. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

You could also try a different approach (didn't think of this until now), als long as you don't have a second char (and maybe you are just farming money to get a second char going):

Every time you farm, take an additional bag with you. Put a rune to a bank into the bag along with a couple of recall scrolls or regs necessary to recall) and drop it on the ground - of course in safe range of your farming spot. So, whenever you die, simply run to the next healer (shouldn't take you too long) and get back to the bag on the ground. Recall to the next bank and keep going.

As far as I now, things thrown on the ground outside your house will despawn in about a hour. So as long as you pick this bag up from time to time and drop it to the ground, you should be fine.
    Imbol likes this.
  10. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

True, but you're still abusing a system that wasn't made to be your personal taxi or free recall. Help-stuck isn't UOR's answer to Uber. It is a last ditch effort to get your character moved when nothing else works. You're not supposed to build your entire playstyle around using it, so you don't have to be prepared. I think I've only used it 2 or 3 times since I started playing here back in October.

You want to talk about "feel free to use common sense", but where's the common sense in going deep into dungeons where you can't get out if you're not able to prepare for the worst, instead of leaving those areas for when you can? If you know you're going to get stuck somewhere and don't have the ability to make a second character to help you gate out, or recall in to get your stuff back, why would you put yourself in that situation? There are plenty of places to hunt without purposefully backing yourself into a corner.
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  11. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Stuck-option is the best and if it really does equate to abuse of the system then I've been abusing the stuck-option system since forever.
  12. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

So our advice for new players is, don't worry about preparing for the inevitable because there's a free taxi service available for everyone to use? Regs and runes are a waste of money because you can always use help stuck to get free recalls to town from anywhere.

Go ahead and run into dungeons you know you can't handle because there's a built in reset button for when you die. Just help stuck and you never have to worry about properly preparing again!! It's so simple!
  13. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

No, our advice is, use common sense. If you haven't used for daily allotment of stuck-options and are in a situation in which the stuck-option is your best best at corpse recovery, use it.
    It already has built in mechanics to prevent abuse. Limited # of uses per day, and it freezes you and makes you wait 2-5 minutes.
  14. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

The advice given above (not by you El Horno) was that the OP keep his runebooks in the bank and use help stuck to get to them directly from a dungeon. He's telling him to build his playstyle around using help stuck to get around like it's a built in blessed town runebook. That is abusing the system. If you get into a situation where you need to use it, then I agree that you should use it. But running into a dungeon unprepared because you can just use help stuck when you die is NOT good advice.

If you make an effort to be prepared and you still get stuck, that's when you should use the help option. It's not hard to get a second character to recall levels of magery. I believe you can recall with 50 magery, can you not? Keeping a second character available to recall to your dungeon if you die and help your first character loot/restock is probably the best option in most situations.
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Runebook in the bank

1-3 marked runes with you
    1 recall scroll

Opinion:
    Do not venture into dungeons etc until you can 100% recall with scroll
    As far as corpse recovery goes the options that have been described thus far are functional however...

For an up and comer I don't suggest deep dungeon farming. Try open field known to have wandering healers nearby instead.

Why has this become a play style debate?

16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

...or you could play the game as it was designed and, unless you're a noob with no UOAM, then spen more time waiting than actually running. If you actually do the running two or three time you will find the fastest way to get places...and no, maybe titans to papua isn't the fastest, but titans to thera, to star room to...anytown! Know the map, explore!! It will serve you better.