real life craftsmen?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Meliph, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Meliph

Meliph Member
    UO:R Donor

Ok so as the title asks...how many of my fellow shard members are artisans and craftsmen in the real world?
    Im a blacksmith and knife maker by trade for example....and yes ive always found it laughably ironic that to relax from a hard days work i often find myself smithing in-game lol. Just wish i could churn out work as fast as my toon! ;)
    So how about it?
    The Watch, Chadarius, Hawkeye and 5 others like this.
  2. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You can't post that and not include some pics of your work!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Alvien likes this.
  3. Meliph

Meliph Member

okdokey :) but with the understanding that most of these are long gone and that my custom books are about 2 years out....that said as we all get to know each other I think Id like to do a raffle to benefit the shard...maybe mail Chris a piecce and have him auction it off with all proceeds going to UOR :D
    heres a Kryss blade done in feather damascus that went on a custom order and a kitchen knife i did in mosaic damascus, mokume gane bolstrs, and ancient walrus ivory scales .

so how bout it? any crafters out there??

Attached Files:

4. Meliph

Meliph Member

and heres a kitchen set i did recently in patinaed 1095 with maccasar ebony handles :D

Attached Files:

The Watch, Fraggle, eherruh and 3 others like this.
  5. Meliph

Meliph Member

and no, im not taking commissions currently, my books are jammed.
  6. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Awesome pieces @Meliph , that metal detailing works looks like it would take a good bit of time.

I am not a crafter like yourself but I do design work. Sadly making money as a designer requires outsourcing all the crafting work to China.
  7. Meliph

Meliph Member

Keza i think youd be surprised how affordable it could be here. i know a lot of artisans, i work renaissance faires...depending on what your making i could put you in touch with a suitable artisan. many of them do wholesale work
  8. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

That is a nice work!!! I am a big fan of blacksmithing on real world, because inside uo is very boring.
    One likes this.
  9. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

SB on that Kryss! :eek:
    eherruh and Cretoma like this.
  10. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

I guess you can say I’m a carpenter. I do woodworking. Mostly by hand. The workbench was made using hand tools.

09E3D240-5A66-40E4-A435-3C5A331B3BBF.jpeg

edit: I have NO idea why this picture is sideways! Can’t figure out how to fix it, sorry.
  11. Zes

Zes Active Member

Beautiful blades there man!
  12. Juliette

Juliette New Member

I'm a shepherdess and fiber artist. I process my sheep's wool, spin my own yarn, then knit or weave it. It always feels a little funny to use a spinning wheel or loom in the game, knowing the time and effort that it takes IRL.
    Zyler, Hawkeye, Meliph and 2 others like this.
  13. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

That's pretty nice @Meliph

I did some hobby blacksmithing for a couple years some 11 years ago now. Still working on getting a shop set up again since I have moved houses a few times over those years. I've not made a living from it though....don't think I've built up enough skill for that. Maybe a small side income down the road....we shall see.
  14. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

That's pretty nice @Meliph

I did some hobby blacksmithing for a couple years some 11 years ago now. Still working on getting a shop set up again since I have moved houses a few times over those years. I've not made a living from it though....don't think I've built up enough skill for that. Maybe a small side income down the road....we shall see.
  15. Meliph

Meliph Member

careful pulse, it starts out innocently enough as a hobby.... ;)
    Pulse likes this.
  16. Chadarius

Chadarius Active Member

I love making stuff. I wish I had more time. I started making leather sheathes for my knives recently. This is my Mora Fire knife with a handmade leather sheath I designed. It has a fero rod holder. Love your blacksmith work! My 10 year old son is desperate to be a blacksmith. I just don't want him to burn down my garage yet. :)

[​IMG]
    Vincent Blackshadow and Pulse like this.
  17. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Where do you live?
    Cretoma likes this.
  18. The Watch

The Watch Well-Known Member

I've wanted to learn blacksmithing, and specifically bladesmithing since I was about 8. I got in trouble one time because I took the metal pokers we used to roast marshmallows and hotdogs in the fire at Nannys, stuck one of them into the fire until it got orange-hot, pulled it out and started beating on it with a ball peen hammer right there on the brick hearth. lol

Very good work too.

I am an author IRL, so I guess you could say I craft things with words. Or, as Chaucer says in A Knight's Tale, I give the truth scope. :)

This is also why I try to put together fiction stories for the forums when I can. My little way of bringing some flavor.

I also make arrowheads, knife blades, and spearheads....though I make them from stone (flintknapping).
    Pulse likes this.