Recommended to template question

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cretoma, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

Thanks to @Rextacy I was able to GM provoke last night on my first character here on UOR! My plan is to make him a Provo-LJ (50 magic, 50 LJ)—it seems to be a viable build.

Anyway, it got me thinking about character templates. As a player whose account is a mere 5 days old, I wanted to ask the community if there was any really-should-have templates. I recognize that a lot is up to play style, but I haven’t really been around long enough to establish that here. When I began playing on Catskills ages ago, I was mostly a PvM archer who adventured with my guild. Looking through the forums, archery seems to be the red-headed stepchild of the combat skills. Here, I am assuming that seems to be more of an RP build (Bowyer/lumberjack/archer?). Hmmmm.

I have some type of craftsman in the works (currently a tailor), but I was wondering what the community here thinks is a “must have” or “good to have” template.
    Rextacy likes this.
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

For me, a must have is provo/mage. I have 5 variations of it:

Eval/provo/mage/resist/med/music/wrestling
    Tame/provo/mage/vet/disco/animal lore/music
    Carto/Provo/mage/LPing/med/hiding/music
    Swds/provo/mage/anat/healing/tactics/music
    Tracking/provo/mage/med/fishing/eval/music

As you can see, you can pretty much go crazy with it...and each has a specific purpose.
    Valrick, gitchu1000 and Rextacy like this.
  3. Rextacy

Rextacy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

@Cretoma no problem buddy if ya need help don't hesitate to ask.

50LJ is waste of skill points if your not going to GM it for the full bonus to take effect.

That being said when I was new I used the first build @Pirul recommended. Except for wrestling I had hiding for evading pks or for when I was in rough situations.

His second build is awesome for farming but unfortunately its harder and more time consuming to complete that build just starting out. It was the the second build I went with for farming when I acquired gold and got established.
    Cretoma and Pirul like this.
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I agree with @Rextacy. For me, non-GMing skills is pretty much gimping your own template. Even if you go with 71 magery to not fail recalls (which is the absolute minimum I recomend), there is no skill where the other 29 points are going to be useful.

29 hiding, will fail you A TON.
    29 tracking, won't give you more than a screen or two and is completely useless against players
    29 med, may give you a slightly faster regen rate...but then again you don't depend on magery so it is pretty much useless.

Then again, there's a ton of people who like mixed templates. Maybe they can offer better insight.
    Rextacy likes this.
  5. Killian

Killian Member

I'm not an expert on builds and I view it all through the "is it enjoyable" lens. With that in mind, I think the provo/mage (@Pirul first build listed) is a great build. It's fairly versatile and has a lot of utility. For the amount of time and resources invested in making one the ROI is good. It's easily one of my favorite builds.

I have hiding instead of wrestling, but I think you could make a case for either depending on your playstyle.

I have 2 characters with a split magery build. Both are 70s magery and the remainder med. Neither use magery except for travel, spell reflection, and an occasional emergency heal/cure. It's adequate for what I use it for, however, I personally would be leery of splitting lumberjack. That's just me. If you want to try and make it work and you enjoy it i don't want to discourage you.
    Cretoma likes this.
  6. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I wouldnt split Lumberjacking either. Ive tried to make this happen many times. I tried 40, 60, and 80.
    With 40, and/or 50-60 LJ, your better of taking macing and using a warhammer. The damage is about the same. 80 does more than a warhammer, but you might as well GM it at that point anyway. :)

As for my must have templates, like others, I have a couple bards, each with their own use.

Dungeon crawler and group farmer/Treasure map alt:
    *If this was SeigePerilous style and I could only have one template, Id use this, or swap Lockpicking for Wrestling*
    Music
    Provo
    Mage
    Eval
    Med
    Resist
    Lockpicking

Warrior Variant for mid level spawn:

Music
    Provo
    Magery
    Macing
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing

Plus the Keza-axer template rocks. Its much better at killing single spawn than a peace dexxer and is just as cheap to make IMO
    I use this for killing lichlords and dragons to farm slayers.

90 AnimalLore
    90 Vet
    Swords
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    90 Healing
    Lumberjacking
    30 Magery
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Cretoma and gitchu1000 like this.
  7. retrojoke

retrojoke Member

Provo is the must have ,you already have it. It will make you money to feed other templates and crafts. 30 Magery is sufficient for using scrolls. You can even mark at 30 magery with scrolls. Many skills work well at 80. Anything under is not so good. Maybe 70 meditation but not really many more.
  8. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

I went with Keza’s Ossytank Axer build. I have not yet finished training LJ, but it is a lot of fun! On my second account, I made a provoking macer, so I still have a dexxer with provoke. It is good for when I’m not doing single mobs.

I’m currently working on a provoke tamer. It is my first time ever making a tamer character! I’m wrestling with choosing discord or meditation in the final build.
  9. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Stacking two bardables on a tamer has always been a headache for me. The shared timers are what I didn't like the most.

Made a provo tamer first, then made a disco tamer and never looked back :)

Meditation is way too important :/

Everyone has different preferences of course just my two cents :D

Provo tamer = good steady farm, usable almost everywhere
    Disco tamer = more spots to solo farm, also can handle boss monsters way easier solo
    snap dragon and Cretoma like this.
  10. DaTamer

DaTamer Active Member

I run a little different:
    main tamer: mage/med/tame/lore/vet/music/provo (lets me farm at a decent rate. can do 150k per hour at right spot)
    2nd tamer: mage/tame/lore/vet/music/provo/disco (lets me farm at a fast rate, take down bosses easily, can do up to 300k an hour, but cant jump around to different spots for lack of mana regen. so i have to know where i am going before i go)
    3rd tamer: mage/med/tame/lore/vet/music/provo (same as my main tamer, great to have when fighting tough stuff that requires more than 1 tamer. i typically have him running a macro of all kill, targest cloest grey, pause 30 sec.. runs behind either of my other two tamers. he increases gold per hour)
    4th tamer: mage/med/tame/lore/tracking/resist/hiding (tracks down animals for taming quest. has resist for taming aggresives like the dragons and wolf)
    5th tamer: mage/med/eval/tame/lore/vet/fishing (great to have a mare on the boat to kill whatever i fish up... or toss a net)
    6th tamer: mage/med/eval/resist/tame/lore/scribe (to have a little fun with... use your imagination)
    7th tamer: mage/med/tame/lore/vet/mining/tinkering (kill golems in caves, smelt the ore, dig while waiting)
    Cretoma likes this.