Recruitment Issues

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Link-, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Link-

Link- New Member

I started a guild yesterday in hopes of recruiting a lot of the Young players I keep seeing around so we can all grow together. However I'm noticing it's very difficult to recruit Young players. They can't enter the gate to be recruited and they're uneasy about removing their Young player status. Everyone I've met so far loves the idea of the guild until they're told they have to remove the Young player status in order to be recruited. Even if they know they can get it back. I even had to spend 10 minutes convincing a guy I wasn't trying to scam/kill Young players..

Could it be possible to allow recruitment through my paperdoll so I can recruit these guys and give them a lot of fun activities to do?
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  2. Orange

Orange Well-Known Member

The actual guild itself doesnt matter. Befriend them and play with them, get a voice chat and have them get in. After they are no longer young just do the formality of tagging them
    Hadrian and snap dragon like this.
  3. Link-

Link- New Member

we can agree to disagree. I like recruiting as many as possible and then clear up the roster once the guild members establish themselves. I've done it alot in the past and its worked very well every time. Its a way to get a large group of players to be able to globally communicate in game and is especially helpful for guys who are coming back to UO after a decade break and dont use stuff like discord or IRC but have loads of questions they need answered.
  4. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Hybrid guild system supposed to be in the works, but has been on the back burner I guess.
    Link- likes this.
  5. Link-

Link- New Member

thanks !
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

You can always refer them to IRC, and be available to assist with questions asked. Is there a new/Young player specific IRC channel?

One of the best aspects of UO is general lack of in-game mass communication. You are, generally speaking, forced to stand near each other, be (at least semi) present, and interact. The whole chat console thing hasnt helped MMOs, IMO. So using the guild chat features just to have an in-game global chat is sort of like establishing an ingame console so you dont have to play nearby each other to communicate.

I think its healthier for the in game community to need physical presence for most forms of communication. Crystal balls and such tied to a specific tile in the game world are cool tool. Guild chat used specifically for focused guild chat is OK. Anything that leans towards "general chat" should be taken to 3rd party software, i.e., IRC. Forcing physical presence for communication is one of my most loved aspects of UO. Its not a limitation, its a feature :)
    Rextacy and Link- like this.
  7. Link-

Link- New Member

I appreciate your viewpoint and I don't mean to nitpick, I'm just bored and want to play :)
    IMO using 3rd party programs for global communication seems to do the opposite of what you're saying (in a way, again... nitpicking). Guild chat is apart of the game and definitely helps for a guild like the one I am trying to make. The people i'm recruiting are mostly going to be players who haven't played UO in over a decade. These type of players would much rather just test out a guild rather than join an IRC or discord in order to meet people. And in the guild chat, you can get to know the characters in game rather than using only text and gifs in discord/IRC.
  8. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You could start your own guild section in the forums and write up an explanation of having to leave Ocllo and how to return and restore young status and then just give them the link instead of trying to explain it over and over. ;)
    Rextacy, El Horno, One and 1 other person like this.
  9. Link-

Link- New Member

I've lost like 5 recruits already because they don't want to quit Youngship.
  10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Why don't you ask the owners of some of the Ocllo new player houses if you could place your guildstone on one of their doorsteps?
    Rextacy, One, Hadrian and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You can always give new players lots of fun things to do.

Adventure!
    Strap your boots up and take them on an adventure, play chess or checkers, make crotch-fires together, test them to see who's summoned creature can kill and an ettin!

Race them around the isle of Ocllo!

First make bonds, the last thing you want to do is invite a free wheeling lad or lass in to sneak off in the night with your fine goods.

*You begin to tame a Young Player, Good Young Player, It's ok, I won't hurt you, We can travel together*
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

The voice of reason.
    Ghosted likes this.
  13. Sheepdog

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you able to place a guildstone on a boat at one point? Or have I completely made that up?
    Destruction likes this.
  14. Destruction

Destruction Active Member

Sheepdog, I tried to do this when I first got here. I thought I made it up after it wouldnt work. It was a thing though at one point.
  15. Sheepdog

Glad it wasn't just me!
  16. Rextacy

Rextacy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You want a 3rd party communication program to use. Especially for voice chat. Not many players have the time to type a book to get a answer/question out. Especially in heat of battle or stuck in a tricky situation. Using only the guild chat system can also be bad for when trying to get ahold of players. They could be macroing or doing something and not even see what was said. I strongly recommend IRC or discord