Relative Damage per Unit Time (DPS sorta) for all weapons

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Emerald, May 19, 2014.

1. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Ok so I basically took the info from the compendium on weapon damage and calculated a figure which gives a relative idea of DPS for every weapon in the game.
    The Math: I added low and high value, divided by two then multiplied by weapon speed.

Higher numbers in the far right column are better, it is a work in progress, I plan to add data for all damages (ruin, might, force, etc.) and possibly include slayers at some point.

It's just meant to give you a basic idea of what weapons are best for which weapon skills, eventually you will be able to cross reference and see stuff like (is a vanq dagger more DPS than a gm kryss).

Couldn't figure out how to post the raw data in proper formatting here on the forums from the excel spreadsheet. If anyone could help me here or via IRC (Emerald) I'd appreciate it until then screenshots will have to suffice.

Axes:
    http://gyazo.com/e5de9cbc2a2fde22ae66d84446e83041
    Bows, Knives+Daggers:
    http://gyazo.com/f396a85ea15671c307dadedf910c70f3
    Maces+Hammers:
    http://gyazo.com/5dd3d620a114d5acd97416c77acdc4ca
    Pole Arms, Spears & Forks:
    http://gyazo.com/995d5a35f77c4c113a57a33edb99b4f6
    Staves:
    http://gyazo.com/412de408e911e474ac748929f1b15df3
    Swords, Wrestling:
    http://gyazo.com/9156bf886f5de45c33cfad59d506446e

Interesting Observations: Throwing out the bardiche as having bad speed data, the best 2H weapon is a Black Staff and best 1 hander is a Katana. This table doesn't take into consideration for bonus from lumberjacking in which case I'm sure double axe is the best weapon in the game for damage over time, but someone can check me on it as I just did relative math in my head on it for now.
    Also weapons like the short spear give a more reliable DPS because their formula is 2d15+2 vs say a Kryss which is 1d26+2, as there is less of a chance of getting two low rolls on one weapon at once than one low roll on the one die with the Kryss. As such this is not an extremely accurate DPS guide as I can't think of the formulas/math required to factor in the different dice rolls per weapon and don't know the exact amount of seconds per unit speed. It's more of a general idea of which weapons will do the most amount of damage over a long period of time(like at least 1-2 minutes).
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Samej and Basoosh like this.
  2. Emerald

Emerald New Member

3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. Gideon Jura

eherruh likes this.
  5. Emerald

Emerald New Member

So I'm by no means an expert on UO game mechanics but will try to answer the questions you had the best I can:

1. Back when I played on OSI around the time frame this game is set in the bardiche was like a poor mans hally, it had the same swing speed but did less damage which is why I calculated it with 25 speed (same as hally), but I was told by a guildie that it was slightly faster so I also did the calculation with 30 speed, I haven't tried getting ahold of the weapons and doing some relative testing myself here on UOR though.

2. The hatchet 99% sure gets dmg from LJ, I used one to raise LJ/Swords on a character here a couple weeks ago, pretty sure the pick axe doesn't but haven't used one as a weapon, that'll be easy enough to test though I'll just grab a pickaxe and swing on something and see if LJ raises.

3. Also pretty sure the war axe dmg's armor and drains stam as well as it's a mace weapon and an axe in name only, I always thought of it like a golf club on steroids.

Thanks for the detailed info on the DPS calc's I will probably be redoing my table as soon as I get a chance to reflect actual DPS and that's good to know about the damage formula being straight low to high not using dice.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

1) I think 26 is the bardiche speed. (also black staff is not 45 but 35, I think)
    2) No and no on hatchet and pickaxe
    3) no, war axe does not draon stamina. I also cannot prove this yet, but I don't think maces damage armor any more than other weapons.

Theorycrafting with weapons on this shard is unfortunately prone to error since Chris has customized the math behind weapon performance and considers the result a proprietary secret. (Yes, this irks me... greatly). Best bet is to do a sh!t ton of testing on the test center with a combat log book.

You definitely need to take into account armor when looking into the best DPS weapons, since every single thing that won't die in 1 hit on this shard is wearing it. Good baseline is of course Exceptional Barbed Leather armor, which I believe absorbs about 12 damage per hit according to my foggy memory of testing this on Test Center.

Once you factor this in, the katana and kryss for example begin to look pretty terrible.
  7. Gideon Jura

8. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

9. Quixotic Quietus

Quixotic Quietus New Member

I sparred with a friend he was maces I was fencing. When we hit GM I had all my armor albeit beat up, he had lost a tunic. So macing doesn't appear to hurt armor more than other weapon types.
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This has been mentioned by other players and I have it on our research/review list.
  11. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Active Member

Thanks for putting this together. One of the things I really enjoyed back in the day was the wealth of information available through Stratics and was thinking it would be great to have a similar setup of information exclusive to the UOR server and I was thinking about it specifically with weapon speed and damage...
  12. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Yeah I might log into test and do a little more accurate tests, or do a calculation for actual damage using a -12 (for armor) modifier. Then I could figure out more meaningful values, but I got a better general idea of what the great weapons are, what the decent ones are and what is definitely a crap weapon.
  13. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

I noticed that with macing too (the armor thing) it's the weakest after archery (maybe in some cases weaker due to range) from what I've seen/been told. And the black staff thing is unusal. On prodo you couldn't hardly sell those, the preferred macing weps of choice were the war hammer, war axe, and the qstaff. (or one of the heavier ones if you wanted to avoid having it stolen)

Macing back in era would drain stamina/break armor fairly fast, breaking clothes/armor has always been a macers favorite past time.
  14. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

All mace weapons but not the staffs broke armor and clothing really fast.
    I think about 2 min of continious fight and first armor broke - sure - it got less protecting before.
    I dont know how its here. Never Pvp-t up to now.
  15. Quixotic Quietus

Quixotic Quietus New Member

I can't recall which mace weapons my buddy was using for the first time we sparred, however on the next toon we raised up he was using Wands and they most thoroughly thrashed my armor. So perhaps it's working as intended and some maces purposefully don't wreck armor, or some mace weapons are messed up.