Remove Instance IRC messages

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by SteelyDan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The message system is being used to help players stalk other players for potential big grabs. The knowledge of knowing if someone is doing scrolls/tmaps is something that should stay in game.

I'm all for looting homes, force entries, etc... but I disagree with IRC helping players accomplishing negative acts against others.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    eherruh, Supra, Lord Krake and 13 others like this.
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I agree with this. There are people that use the "a player has unearthed a lvl 7 map" message to go find them and take that map. If someone digs up a lvl 6 map and they get a lvl 7 map in that chest it's very vulnerable. There is spawn to contend with and the tmapper may have to kill all the spawn before getting out of there with the lvl 7 alive.

I'm all for bounty messages. Victims can announce in IRC anyway. No one is going to tell the world that they dug up a lvl 6 chest and got a map.

I think the map messages, at the very least, need to go. Otherwise might as well announced when a spawn or harrower is started too.
    eherruh, Descartes, Zyler and 2 others like this.
  3. SteelyDan

A veteran player we have here has a love for amibs, holiday scrolls, and level 7s. He doesn't have a court yard like most people who do these have. Im speculating that he was ambushed because of the messages.

I'm not 100% certain but I know that for a fact these messages can assist someone up to no good.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Until it gets fixed, the message is populated when you leave the instance, so I've been casting incognito on myself when I exit so the IRC message is randomized.
  5. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Or at the very least do a delay... does it immediately announce when you complete a Lvl 7 map?
  6. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

It would have to be a long delay. Say you see a message that someone did a christmas scroll and there was an hour delay. Well, even with an hour delay there is a good chance they are going to do a few in a row. At the very least you know the person is awake and playing so any time spent lurking in the shadows isn't completely wasted like if your mark was sleeping lets say.
    An easy compromise is to just not give the name. Then you still give a little shout out in IRC so new people know that there is exciting content available.
    The Crooked Warden likes this.
  7. SteelyDan

Yeah there is a delay but sometimes people do back to back scrolls. There is no point to the messages other then "Hey look that stupid ass smith is crushing scrolls again let's go wait in front of his house".

The above is fine without the assistance of IRC.
    Jesus Is King and PaddyOBrien like this.
  8. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Xmas scrolls empty you out to the event center I thought. If you leave the event center (which has a bank) with anything of value, then you're not a smart person and deserve what you get.

I still stick by my original opinion, however,
  9. SteelyDan

I agree. I just don't like how someone can use irc messages to target someone with less intelligence.
    One likes this.
  10. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

I completely agree. The level seven messages were only supposed to be and I received for a short time. Like we said before, people do back to back scrolls or maps. We have a guy who just lost a multi million weapon by being ambushed. It's one thing for players to put the time in in game to find out who's doing what, but for IRC to be telling them without any effort is ridiculous.
  11. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

That, or make all instances come out in the event center.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  12. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I've used the dueling messages to scout the arenas to mess with people.
  13. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

who lost what type of wep? deets!
  14. Baler

Baler Well-Known Member

How about an option in the [profile to allow players to enable or disable this 'feature' individually.

Just like the other options,. Public death history, Public kill history, public character profile, etc.
    Allow World Cam Broadcast... lol
    One, Blaise, Cynic and 2 others like this.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Les or Punt or something were some of the first folks to get ambushed on exit and lose a high value slayer. Seems like a bad time.
  16. Jesus Is King

Jesus Is King Well-Known Member

@Cynic, I lost the weapon and I don't like even mentioning the words at this point (I just want to forget I owned it), but it was a supremely accurate massive shorts spear of vanq and respond slayer. I looted it form a liche lord or dark one in September/November.

I'd also venture to guess that the messages were giving away my activity and did lead to this "crew" or person knowing where I was and what I was coming home with.

Time to learn from the experience, forgive and then forget (Though it isn't feeling easy!).. and look to buy a new respond fencing slayer weapon I guess.
  17. Jack of Shadows

18. Jesus Is King

Jesus Is King Well-Known Member

-
  19. Jack of Shadows

That stinks, you would have felt much better if I could have just stolen it from you :p
  20. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

While I agree about removing instance messages in IRC I disagree with having people come out in the tram center. There should be risk in doing these instances. This is a fel server is it not?
    One likes this.