Anti Afk Gather/Sell System

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

AFK 1.jpg
    The Renaissance Anti AFK Gathering/Selling System​

September 2nd 2012​

In order to combat the problem of unattended gathering and selling the Renaissance staff have created a system that will monitor these activities. Since no free shard can have staff online around the clock to respond to player complaints about unattended macro'ers an automated system was needed.

Any player doing one of the activities listed below will have a chance to be presented with this gump ingame.
    • Mining
    • Lumberjacking
    • Fishing
    • Gathering Items (Cotton, etc)
    • Attempting to place a house using automated means.
    • Shearing Sheep
    • Selling Items to NPC vendors.
    • Gathering Rare Items
    • Clicking on House Signs While Dead

AFK_CheckExample.jpg

You will be asked to pick the item that is different from the other items within 120 seconds.

At this point several things will happen.
    • If you answer the question incorrectly you will be sent to jail and your actions that resulted in the gump being triggered will be logged for staff review.
      The gump was designed so that the correct answer is very simple to determine, However we will be understanding should you answer the gump wrong.
    • If you fail to answer the question at all you will be sent to jail and your actions will also be logged for staff review.
    • If you answer the question correctly a verification message will be sent to you, and your correct answer will be logged.
    AFK_FailExample.jpg

Notes
    • The gump is movable, however you cannot close it.
    • If you are holding an item when the gump is sent you will need to drop it before answering. However the gump has been designed to be sent at the exact time the action takes place. So the chances of someone holding an item should be limited.
    • There are preventive mechanisms in place to keep a player from receiving the gump repeatedly. However just because you answered it correctly does not mean you can walk away from the computer.
    • If you do not want to risk a trip to jail, simply stop your macro. There is no delay between an afk check and the triggering activity.
      Note: With the exception of rare item collection
    • Logging out during the verification process will register as a failure.
    • Make sure you do not macro respond to any gumps, such as tracking, while gathering as this can result in answering the verification check incorrectly.

AFK_Information.jpg

Punishment
    Should you find yourself in jail because you were caught by the Anti Afk Gather/Sell System don't worry. Unlike some free shards we have no intention of banning players for anything but the most extreme offenses.
    • All accounts will get one warning. You will be sent to jail for 5 minutes, with a notification of what you were jailed for. This will be noted on your account.
    • After the second warning your account will begin to receive jail time. Your account will be held in jail until your sentence is up.
    • Each additional warning your account receives will result in longer and longer jail time.
    • We have no plans to ban players for these offenses as the system manages itself without staff interaction, other than the review process.
    • However should you continue to get caught trying to profit unattended on Renaissance you can expect to spend alot of time in jail.
    • Once your sentence is up you may leave jail using the gate provided. An information gump will be shown giving you additional details if you can/cannot be released from jail. (see picture
      below)
    • Each failure once logged to your account will reduce the time in which you can respond to future checks by 10 seconds. The lowest time to respond to a check is 30 seconds.

AFK_LeavingJail.jpg

Jail Time
    • 1st Failure: 5 Minute Warning
    • 2nd: 2 Hours
    • 3rd: 4 Hours
    • 4th: 8 Hours
    • 5th: 16 Hours
    • 6th: 1 Day
    • 7th: 2 Days
    • 8th: 4 Days
    • 9th: 7 Days
    • 10th: 14 Days
    • 11th: 21 Days
    • Continued Failures: 21 Days
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Knightmare and Geo like this.
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

UO:R doesn't need a banhammer, no, for they have the all mighty jailhammer - automated edition!
  3. newme

newme Well-Known Member

lol good system, thanks for putting it in place
    Knightmare likes this.
  4. custard

custard New Member

i like the you have been caught and are now teleported to jail animation and how obvious it is to avoid jail with a gump menu like that
  5. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

I like this system and the improvements you state you made to it. I encountered it on another server where they repeatedly sent puzzles to the same player every 2 minutes, which rendered any kind of resource-gathering macro useless. And I admire your view on avoiding account bans if at all possible. Nice work!
  6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. DarkWing

DarkWing Senior Counselor
    Senior Counselor
    UO:R Subscriber

I think you need a Bulletin Board in the Jail Cell, so the inmates can have something to scribble on
  8. Eisensaft

Eisensaft New Member

The system doesn t work as intended. Or maybe i m not getting it.

I have just been jailed for not answering the question guick enough. But i don t seem to have gotten a warning. Nor am i jailed for 5 minutes. Im in here way longer now and no staffmember is online.

Does the system throw me out after a time or does it always have do be done by a staff member?

however, i want my fair warning and not hours oftime in jail! :)
  9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The first warning from the system currently requires a GM to remove you from jail, so they can discuss the system with you, why you were jailed and how to avoid it in the future. So this can take 5 minutes or a few hours depending on our availability

After that the automatic system for jail removal kicks in.

Any player who is jailed by this system is more than welcome to request the circumstances that resulted them to be jailed from the staff. Such as time, location, triggering action, etc.

There is current no way to be jailed on Renaissance other than this system, the staff do not move players to jail for unattended gathering manually. Also each account has a complete log of every time they are jailed with extensive details.
  10. Cordelia Black

Cordelia Black Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have been gathering wood since i began on this server and maybe i was tired but i interpreted the message of "wich of these items is not the same as the other?" to mean that i should cross out all the items that were not relevant. I misunderstood this partly due to being mind numbed from gathering wood and partly because the only item that did not match was a peice of wood so i figured the system wanted to make sure i knew what i was doing,and what do you know i am now in jail.
    For an hour. With all my wood in my pack animals.. im a bit upset since the first time is said to be 5 minutes? Now i am worried i will loose everything i gathered because of an error.

Edit: should clarify that i live in Sweden and that there are currently no staff online,and im unsure how easy i will find a staff member online due to the time difference (GMT+1).
    Kishember likes this.
  11. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

We actually just changed that with patch 33 from 1 hour to 5 minutes for the first offense. I broke you out of jail so you could collect your pack animals. If you ever answer a question wrong, simply page a staff member when it happens and we will review the logs and remove the mark from your account.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Got hosed by this.

Was moving through some sheep-shearing and clicked on one of the checkboxes that popped up right on top of the sheep I was targeting.

One thing I might suggest is to have the window pop up so that the checkboxes are well away from the center of the screen. Since (I think) all resource gathering happens by targeting near the character, as long as the checkboxes for the one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other are 4+ tiles away from the center of one's screen, there shouldn't be any accidental clicking issues.
  13. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

If you simply contact a staff by IRC or page when this happens we will remove the mark and let you out of jail.
  14. atveig

atveig New Member

good afternoon,
    I do not know English, I communicate through Google translator,
    for the first time when triggered Anti Afk I do not understand =)
    the second time I tried to turn the question into Google translator but did not at the time

I want to know, the question that comes up in the Anti Afk window, constantly the same or changing? (I mean the text and not pictures)
  15. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

The question is the same. Choose the picture that doesn't belong with the other two pictures shown.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Other three pictures. You will get a window with four images. You need to select the one that is a different type of item than the other three.
  17. atveig

atveig New Member

thank you
  18. Bev Taylor

Bev Taylor New Member

I am in jail for clicking the wrong thing when asked which item is not the same. As soon as it popped up i clicked and it was wrong and POOF jail. OMG I was like Hello I'm here, no reply nothing. not cool account flagged 1 time. GRReeaatt... just started playing again after years away and POOF. I have never unattend macro in UO and had layed for years on EA.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Kishember likes this.
  19. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Feel free to put in a page in-game, or send a message on IRC. Staff logs these actions and can review them; if you are determined to have been not AFK, the mark can be removed.

But, for the record, your sentence is only 5 minutes long the first time, so by the time you read this you will already be free to leave jail :)
  20. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

This should be brought in place for unattended buying as well.
    Sheepdog and newme like this.