Renaissance Blog - Boat Crafting

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

[​IMG]
    Boat Crafting​

June 28th 2012​

One of our recent projects here at Renaissance was looking into ways to make players who dedicate their time and effort to being a craftsman more rewarding. With the advent of the Renaissance era we were provided with much improved crafting menus but unfortunately limited new crafting options.

As a player I always thought it was strange that boat deeds were bought rather than crafted, and after some discussion we determined that adding boat construction would be a nice addition to the crafting options.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Of course the next step was how to make this possible, skill based, and rewarding for the players. The first step was replacing the boat deeds on the shipwright vendor with ship plans which are the base requirement for crafting a boat.

The next step was to determine what resources would go into the creation of a boat. One of the interesting additions to Ultima that came long after the Renaissance era was a variety of wood types. So with a little work we were able to adjust the lumberjacking skill so that, much like mining, with enough skill and the right tree you would have a chance to produce some oak logs. Which could be turned into boards, the basis for our boat construction.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally now that we had decided on the resource requirements we were able to work the boats into the carpentry menu.

Boats will require a combination of the carpentry, tinkering and tailoring skill to create.

Small boats (normal/dragon) will require 1 Ship Plan, 150 Oak Boards, 100 Ingots, and 500 cloth
    Medium boats (normal/dragon) will require 1 Ship Plan, 200 Oak Boards, 150 Ingots, and 750 cloth
    Large boats (normal/dragon) will require 1 Ship Plan, 250 Oak Boards, 200Ingots, and 1000 cloth

And there you have it, from a boring purchase on a vendor to a craftable resource.

Note: The crafting system is subject to change based on beta testing and economy research
    Urthe Oakeshield likes this.
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Selling the shards first boats. PM me.
  3. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

How much for a boat HC?
  4. DarkWing

DarkWing Senior Counselor
    Senior Counselor
    UO:R Subscriber

I can Also Build Boats,
  5. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

^^ His boats leak
    TheDarkOne and Hydrox like this.
  6. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Fixed :D
    Hydrox likes this.
  7. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Aye mates,

I'm looking for someone to craft me a large boat of any type.
    I have plenty of resources, just lacking the skills to make one.
    Please message me or reply here if you offer boat crafting !

Best regards,
    Wodan
  8. Bankshot

Bankshot Member

Check the vendors around yew gate to the bank. There are a few with pretty good prices for all sizes.
  9. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Already found some vendors ...

But I did like the idea to find a GM Craftsman who could do that for me.
    After all, that's one of the benefits of having such an active community.

It's a pity there's so little trading business going on in the forums and the IRC :(
  10. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Hey, missed the original post. Let me know if you still have needs.
  11. compsays

compsays Active Member

4+ years bump.

If OP is still around, you might want to point out that if you fail in the construction, you lose the deed, which cost you at least 5k :(
    Khari likes this.
  12. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

The OP is @Chris the person who runs the server, but this doesn't appear to be a guide. It seems like this was an explanation of the boat crafting system and how it came to be when the system was first released back in this server's infancy.

I'm not sure if there is a guide for boat crafting. That might be something someone should write.
  13. compsays

compsays Active Member

All fair points.

I know had I known about it I would deffo have waited until my carpentry was much higher before the attempt. My crafter (tailor/tinker/smith) is nearing GM now, soon be time to try again and unleash my tag-team fisherman on the swathes of the deep of Sosaria!