Renaissance into 2019 and Beyond (Shard Update)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chris, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Happy 2019 Everyone! I hope everyone had a relaxing Christmas and a happy new year. I have finally caught up a bit with life/work commitments that have slowed me down for the last month and will be around a bunch more in the coming year.

The wife and I welcomed our first little one to the world in late December (little girl, future UOR gm in training). And of course due to the addition to the family I had to take on some extra IRL work to get better insurance to cover the family. In order to accomplish this I have accepted a software development role for one of my larger clients which included a generous salary and health insurance. (Developing a software solution to interface laboratory service companies with a large billing company in order to facilitate electronic processing of billable information) Exciting stuff right! As of today I have put the first version of the application I have developed into production.

So long story short things should calm down a great deal. There will still be some frantic deadlines, but nothing as drastic as the one I have completed now. (There were millions of $$ worth of transactions waiting on this software to be completed, much stress, little sleep).

So just to be clear, because if there were not 12 posts about the server failing, or other drama at any moment for the last 6 years it would not be UOR.

I am not going anywhere. I started this place with the expectation that caring for all of your work/creations/time investment here was not something to take on lightly. Like all other humans I have bad days, need a break, get frustrated, etc. But UOR will carry on as long as there are people who love classic UO.

I do not work for, help on, or contribute to any other UO projects/servers. I did mentor other shard owners for a while (Its nice to talk tech with other like minded individuals.) However after watching each of these relationships devolve into "How many players is it ok to fake to get donations rolling in" or "I'll just sell a few accounts to get some extra cash" After investing months and years of work mentoring these guys I stepped away from those situations.

I do not play on any other server, or even play here. I do a small amount of steam gaming, but lately I love some casual switch gaming. I do not play any other MMO's or games that cannot be paused. (A happy marriage is supported by only playing games I can pause, UO is great as well because you can recall + logout in 60 seconds to take care of a wife Honeydoo)

Working on UOR for the last 2500 or so days has been a fun ride and has taught me a great deal. I have implemented a great deal of what I have learned here in my day to day job that is providing for my family. And now that I get to develop as a job my skills working on UOR are improving steadily as well. (Most people who work on a free server come in with development skills. I started with only rough database experience)

So in short we are not going anywhere, and the server is doing quite well. Thanks to some hype in the free shard world our new player joins have picked up and we have tasked some additional helpers with making sure everyone gets a hello and their questions answered.

Going forward we have some exciting plans for 2019 which I will touch on briefly here, but by no means is this all we have planned.

Quick / Jimmy's Work on an Updated Razor
    These guys have been doing amazing work on addressing some of the common complaints with razor and really taking it to the next level while avoiding all of the questionable features so common in the programs we do not allow here. We are very excited to roll this new version into our Windows/Mac Clients once it is finished. To help test it out check out the thread below.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/razor-1-5-bug-issue-release-tracking.33405/

Clean UP Britannia
    The CuB system gets closer and closer as we finish up the development on the rewards that the system needs to function. We have an ongoing discussion about the various rewards players would like to see in the system you can take part in below.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/clean-up-britannia-official-reward-store-discussion.37751/

7th,8th,9th, 10th Anniversary Plans
    During our planning for the Christmas rewards some of our volunteers and I spent a day working through all of the available hues that have been used/unused so far. Below is a picture of the tentative hues that are planned for years 7-10. Rather than sticking to the exact release plan we will probably open this to a bit of player debate to see which order they are released in.
    Anniversary PLans.jpg

Valentines Event - Easter Event
    Cupid will return to wreck havok around the 8th of February for our much loved Valentines event. A Renaissance favorite this event creates a high traffic zone that always results in some PvP and PvM excitement. This will be quickly followed by our updated Easter/St Patricks combined event which was a huge hit last year. If you did not have a chance to collect some Rogue Boots last year you will have another chance coming up.

2018Test1.png

And much more! I don't want to ramble on to much as I am finishing up the much delayed 2018 Christmas reward store update. The patch is planned for Friday (1/18) with the extended Christmas event to close up soon after. Players can expect some sort of overworld event (or two) this weekend to close things out.

4938-a07e6d02443a305f3b96f80d2a292a47.jpg

Also on a very happy note: My 24 year old ragdoll black cat has lived long enough to meet the new baby and pose for some adorable pictures with the new little one. She has been my desk/lap companion for many late nights working on the server. She's still healthy as a cat that old can be bitching at me for not paying attention to her as I typed this.
    OldKitty.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    RiffRaff-, AOٌ, Dash and 65 others like this.
  2. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

LONG LIFE UOR
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Hollywood, Chris and Hawkeye like this.
  3. Mexplosivo

Mexplosivo Active Member

@Chris thank you so much for all your hard work. You have created something pretty sweet here, really really appreciate it. 2019 will keep the hype train going and growing.

Long live UOR
    Orion GM BD and Chris like this.
  4. Thelax

Thelax Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

@Chris welcome to the world of Fatherhood and congrats!
    Best wishes on good health.
    Hope sleep isn't something you enjoy much.
    lol
    Just kiddin.... sorta :)
  5. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

The best DM I ever had! :))
    Kiryana, Erza Scarlet and Ouroboros like this.
  6. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member

Congrats on the little one Chris. Changes your life for the better, forever.

And thanks for all you do here. Your creation keeps us all coming back day after day.

God Bless.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  7. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

Thank you, Chris!! Long live UOR!!!
  8. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

*ode to joy by Beethoven playing in background*
    Avery, Hadrian and One like this.
  9. Labeler

Labeler Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

thank you for the update and your sublime dedication @Chris
  10. Air

Air Well-Known Member

11. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand Well-Known Member

*tips his hat to Glorious Leader*
    O'Malley likes this.
  12. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Congrats Chris. Completely understand about the cat. I literally have an amazon box right next to my keyboard that my cat yells at me if it's not in the appropriate spot.

Baby numero uno due in April for me. Gonna need another box... i mean bassinet.
    Ouroboros and Karrelan like this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Kiryana likes this.
  14. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Yeah okay... well in that case I still like potatoes.
    Hoominaga likes this.
  15. Baler

Baler Well-Known Member

Best update ever. (Cat Pic)

Also new leather teaser:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Hadrian likes this.
  16. Mexplosivo

Mexplosivo Active Member

17. StarScream

StarScream Well-Known Member

18. TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne Well-Known Member

Congrats again @Chris , like I said when I first joined your server, job well done. As a long old friend of yours that you used to play with, I mean this when I say that a better server could not exist. The fact that you keep it running and keep adding (never disappointed with the ads) is quite the treat.
    Kiryana likes this.
  19. Sara

Sara Well-Known Member

Love the plans for years to come!! I am ride or die to this server it's something special here. Plus I'm all for slow but patches that are right. Played games that every week screwed up and staff was more f-you and to players. Enjoy family time every chance you can too @Chris
    Kiryana and Jesus Is King like this.
  20. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member