Request for Comment - Vesper Guard Zone Review

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Chris, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

VesperProposal.png

During the last Anniversary event I noticed something odd about the vesper guard limits. Something I had not paid much attention to before. If you look at the current guard zone you can see that the only reason it covers as much of the west coast line, the SW area, and the NE part of the forest was because they decided to use a single region when several would have done a better job.

The current proposal for player comment is the adjustment of the two large vesper guard zones into several smaller zones that correctly cover the town while opening up room for player housing, vendor spots and more common sense guard protection. The proposal would roughly be the changes pictured above (the black lines indicate the new guard region).

Only a few players would be affected by this change. Namely the tower on the NE side would no longer be on the edge of town limits along with 2 small houses in the NE section of town. These players and others affected by the change may be given small concessions to compensate them for the change (world decor, offer to move their house forward a few steps, etc). Any proposal would be posted here for review.

For any new land opening up a large scale event would be scheduled, most likely a classic OSI style vesper troll invasion where the trolls are provided with the detect hidden skill and players are tasked with kill them and cutting up their corpses to make room for house placement. This would take place at a scheduled date and time so players could be available for it if interested.

The staff is currently looking for information on OSI possibly making this change on a shard by shard basis to see if there is any historical data for the change. We have also successfully made changes like this in the past that have gone well (the Ocllo West side Land rush) as an example.

Included below are pictures of the current edge of the guard region.
    VesperGz1.jpg VesperGz2.jpg VesperGz3.jpg VesperGz4.jpg VesperGz5.jpg VesperGz6.jpg VesperGz7.jpg VesperGz8.jpg VesperGz9.jpg VesperGz10.jpg

Please comment on the proposal in a positive manner discussing the issue at hand.
    Wahooka, Fraggle, Hadrian and 10 others like this.
  2. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

I'm cool with the gl changes. The proposed new lines look more logical.
    Ponne likes this.
  3. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Agreed. I think the pros outweigh the cons. There's a lot of wasted space over there
    Hadrian and Ponne like this.
  4. La croix

La croix New Member

please change it plus it makes vesper a better town for thief visits!
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I have always thought there was too much "dead" land around Vesper. I vote Yay.
    Kirby likes this.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I think it looks appropriate on everything but the gap in GZ between the north bridge and the tailor/provisioner shops. From a traditionalist sense, having that gap of space without GZ is going to be a bit confusing to some I'd guess.

Otherwise, good call.
    Dalavar likes this.
  7. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

Love it as long as the nearby property owners don't have an issue.

I was hoping that big patch in the woods, northeast, could be turned into some sort of park or interesting NPC space instead of new housing, but whatever.
    Hadrian and Iago like this.
  8. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

anything that brings about town invasions i'm up for, Please make the invasion last for a few days, not just an hour or two.
  9. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

I think it sounds like a good idea, the guard-line around Vesper has always been a fun mechanic for me because there is gaurdzone where no one expects there to be guardzone. This also makes it a problem as there is gaurdzone where no one expects there to be gaurdzone and also reduces the land available to place houses.

I was wondering if Britain should be changed as well? In Skara Brae, you can place houses all around the farms to the south east of town. Why is there guardzone to the west of Britain which extends to the mountains? It's era accurate, but so is the gaurdline around Vesper. If we're going to change this, I think we should also think about reducing the gaurdzone around Britain as well.

I don't want to stand in the way of that, but as the owner of the small tower on the north east side by itself, this change essentially destroys the value of that property for me. I would propose the east side of the gaurdline moved more to the west so I can place the small tower on the smaller round peninsula. This would mean that before and after the change, I would still have a secluded small tower on gaurd-line.

I went and checked the spot and there is no way a house would fit.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    It'sallALark likes this.
  10. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

land rush events are awesome!
    shad likes this.
  11. OptimisticSam

OptimisticSam Well-Known Member

Agree here. Love the change, and the approach. Good work.
    One likes this.
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Other towns can be checked as well. After looking into this situation it seems this was not done for a reason other than Lazyness of the developers long ago. Rather than a complex multi part region, they just went with 3 large boxes.
  13. Hydrox

Hydrox Well-Known Member

I like this idea.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

Fine with the changes, but don't allow house placement in any area which doesn't already allow placement.
  15. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Lots of new places to put homes down. Its a good thing I think. New lines seem more logical.
  16. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member

No land rush! Half 99% of the shit on this server is catered to a specific time zone.
    Either determine the largest homes that can be placed and raffle the locations.
    Or place smalls everywhere and hold a raffle with indiscriminate results (random location). Let player economy work itself out for large house placements.
    Jakob, Animal Control, Holden and 2 others like this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

Seems like an excellent idea, I'm all for freeing up quality housing spots. There's enough guard zone already.

Sounds like a fun event too.
  18. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I would suggest keeping the path between that northern bridge and the Tailor as guard-zoned as well. That might remove one 7x7 worth of space you're proposing to open up, but I think intuitively one would assume a dirt path/road from one part of a town to other shops in that town would be guarded.

EDIT: so yeah, +1 to what Blaise said.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Blaise and Pill like this.
  19. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

sounds like a great idea. more towns with nearby land = more places players will congregate besides occlo bank.
  20. binlagin

binlagin Active Member

Not to sound like a dick. But do we really need guard zone reviews?

I mean, this change makes sense... and at this point I'd say just go ahead and do it, the code change is trivial.

I know you have other things being developed that have players frothing at the mouths for... I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to be doing, but I think the effort vs return would be greater put in the CUB patch then a full guard zone review.

UOR rules!
    Xegugg and TrojanCow like this.