Required Magery for Mark and Recall

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Daos, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Daos

Daos New Member

Hello guys!

I'm building a dexxer according to Cynyc guide: http://uorforum.com/threads/the-peacemaking-dexxer-and-you-a-guide.2897/

I'm almost done! (this is my first character) but I'm currently doing Magery, I only need it for Mark and Recall, so I really don't want to spend all the resources to get it into GM

What would be the minimum magery required to don't fizzle recall??

And what would be the best balance between fizzle and don't on Mark? Obviously considering that Mark is not as mandatory because recall is for escaping from PK if needed.

I'm currently at 62.0 Magery and would like to add sparing skillpoints to Resisting Spells, I can't think of another usefull skill at 20-40ish depending on how magery ends.
    One likes this.
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I would suggest dropping to around 39 magery and using recall scrolls. You will fail quite a bit with Mark scrolls, but it will free a significant amount of points for you.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

--- without scrolls

casting recall

casting mark

---- with scrolls

casting recall

casting mark

This subject comes up alot and I've seen wildly varying numbers.
    Above is the math.

Suggestion: Just go GM it slowly. Yes, even macroing overnight with no meditation and only 25 int if that's what you're going to have... it will get there eventually. The benefits of a GM cast reflect or reactive armor are pretty sweet.

edit: Yes, temporary stat change to at least 40 int (flamestrike for skill training)

Do runs of evil mages/evil mage lords and let them supply the reagents.

Suggestion 2: Drop healing for GM magery/med --- yep. I've done it before and I didn't miss healing. However this was a toon I used to farm very specific things with. It was not a general purpose "main".
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    One and Pirul like this.
  4. Daos

Daos New Member

Yes I was thinking about that too! But I didn't want to worry all the time about the scrolls haha
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

@wylwrk has some excellent points, including the GM part. Particularly GM GHeals.
    One likes this.
  6. Daos

Daos New Member

Ok now I have a motive to GM Magery, I wasnt taking into consideration reactive armor or protection, still, what I understand is that if you want gains,you need bigger circle spells, so I would need to change my stats at least temporarily, to cast Flame Strike or Resurrection, right?
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Nah, try gate travel instead of recall here and there...those fizzles will get you gains.
    Daos likes this.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Yes at least 40 int

you could have permanent stats of 90/90/45 at the expense of a little DPS

But while GM magery with no meditation does throw people off... I myself after much personal debate dropped healing for meditation as it's counted in reactive armor formula. As well, heals up to 50. I hunted with no clothing/armor on (yes, really) but if you must GM/magic leather is buffed here. Why anyone wears metal on a peace warrior here is beyond me.

I'm rambling... sorry.

magery gets you
    reactive armor (33 mele absorb vs 66 with meditation)
    magic reflection - one free flamestrike reflected
    bless - +8 all stats (meh)
    unlock - chest loot is free loot and adds a little variety to dungeon crawling
    blade spirit
    invisibility - drop aggro / etc
    mark
    reveal
    gate travel

bump int to 50 (wizard hat option as well) for...
    energy vortex
    summon (elementals / daemon)

Overall should you decide to GM magery, your base INT will be left up to you as only you know what you're going to use the character for and what it's overall needs are going to be.

G'luck
    Pekka, One and Daos like this.