Resisting Spells Question

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Shosara, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Shosara

Shosara Active Member

Hey all,

ever since starting to play here, I've had the feeling like Resist spells doesn't quite pack the (defensive) punch as it used to back in the day. The official compendium page doesn't have any numbers or math on how resist works on UO:R and i have not found any info on the matter in the forums as well.

Can anyone clarify how resist works exactly? I am trying to figure out whether i should drop resist or not, and since i am sitting at 90 right now, i would like to make an informed decision before dropping it ;)

Thanks!
    newme likes this.
  2. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

3. Shosara

Shosara Active Member

How come casting Flamestrike on myself increases resisting spells then, if it does not directly impact it according to this?
    Mh so all GM Resist is giving me is 40 fire resistance to lessen the dmg of a flamestrike? I am no longer sure if i really need resist then ... mhh
  4. Kiryana

Resistance will be uniquely useful skill, but it may turn out that for some assembly it is replaced by a more useful skill!

But I stress that each assembly is good and individual to your needs and style of play!

Try to pick up an assembly of skills that will satisfy your needs and already based on this draw conclusions, in which assembly it is more important to you!

It helps to hold out in battle for half a second longer than without it! And in any case it will be useful if you are not just a tailor or a narrowly-targeted crafter.

Regards,
    Kir
  5. Shosara

Shosara Active Member

The Character I am talking about is this: http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/893720

So 3 Skills are locked in for taming
    2 Skills are locked in for Discord
    1 Skill is locked in for Magery (gates, mostly)

and so far i have run resist just to be a bit more safe versus PKs (but i only ever encountered one, i have been lucky in that regard)
    and to be a bit more safe when fighting elder gazers or lich lords. However, if resist spells hardly reduces the dmg i take from a kal vas flam, i don't know if it is worth it and if i should just go for meditation to have a bit more sustain/offensive punch when it comes to my casts. Right now i do not miss meditation i have to say, i only cast an nox, in vas mani and vas rel por and my mana never is a limiting/critical factor. however with meditation i might start casting offensively a bit mroe to speed up my farming process.

So this is the whole picture, what's you take on it? (And thanks for helping me out!)
  6. Kiryana

To solve to you, but for the given assembly it is possible to pick up and other skills, for example fishing or Item Identification, even simply because this character for gathering of gold and profit.

Think about what will be more useful for you, play and experiment;)
    Artex likes this.
  7. Shosara

Shosara Active Member

Item Ident is on another Char GMed already and fishing is dedicated on 2 others as well. All i need to settle really, is the question of meditation v resisting spells for my 7th GM ;)

Mh i am going to stick with it for now since "if it ain't broke don't fix it". i am not missing mana and i am living ok when dungeon crawling. losing resist and gaining meditation might screw up both ^^
    Artex likes this.
  8. Kiryana

since you will be protected by your pets with a competent game, you can do without resistance, and meditation useful skill! In this feature, and there is the beauty of this game, it's smart and clever to use the skills that are so many!
    That's cool.
  9. Kiryana

I have several characters, before all had the ability to resist magic, now only one has left! I revised all the assemblies and, as I played, corrected everything and know what, I really like :)
  10. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

All depends how and what your hunting. If your going to champ and have one tamer then standard provo med tamer is the way to go. Some champ bosses have to be casted on to kill and without meditation your not going to get your damage dealt. If your a solo pvmer then discord makes sense in certain spots where you can single out a monster and not worry about other pet killing aggro. If your making some type of ready to pvp hybrid tamer then yes resist is a must. I gate around a lot and cast g heals at range when needed to support the teams pets or whomever is taking aggro, meaning med is a must in my book but to each their own.

Also if you have more than one tamer disco is okay. I've been down the whole disco road on tamers and dexers to find that provo is much more valuable and contributes more to your teams efforts. If you can run a separate bard toon and your tamer at once then your set (if you only have one tamer). Speaking mostly of champs. Tons of other situations that will require a different approach.

Thanks to the wand charge transfer/combining deal life is much easier and if you hunt much or pop t chests wands are abundant so item ID was taken down a few notches in my book. That applies to hunting mobs, not t hunting.
    Shosara and Kiryana like this.
  11. Shosara

Shosara Active Member

Yeah I feel you on the Provo/Disco thing, i have been thinking about exchanging the two or even dropping music altogether for meditation and eval int turning me into a prober mage/tamer. thanks either way for sharing your thoughts, very much appreciated!
    Kiryana likes this.
  12. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

Against a mage with GM Magery & GM Evaluating Intelligence:
    With 0 RS, getting hit by flamestrike does 32 min, 46 average, 59 max damage
    With GM RS, getting hit by flamestrike does 27 min, 38 average, 49 max damage
    With GM RS you will also have a 49% chance to resist the flamestrike, which reduces its base damage in half.
    With GM RS and *IF* the spell is resisted, flamestrike does 14 min, 20 average, 25 max damage
    This means there's a possible 14-59 damage spread depending on your resist vs a GM magery/eval mage
    Seba and Shosara like this.
  13. Shosara

Shosara Active Member

Oh awesome, this is pretty much exactly what i needed, so much appreciated! By now i have dropped resist and gmed provocation in it's place. haven't gone out with it and done anything though, so i will just check it out, try some lich lords and see how well i fare, worst case is i will have to train resist back up.

Thanks again, mate!