Restore peace in mining caves.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, May 19, 2015.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'd like to start manually mining again and it is just not feasible, in the traditional sense, with perpetual golem spawn in caves.

There are already over 16,000+ gargoyle shovels in circulation on the shard. As such, getting golems to spawn for the sake of hunting them or their rewards (statuettes, of which there are dozens on the shard now), should not be a problem at all.

Recall mining has been curbed well enough by the removal (or reclassification) of the "There is no metal here to mine" system message in addition to Recall being completely blocked to some caves (namely, every cave near my home). I'm fine with this as it makes sense in a manner of curbing excessive strip mining and promoting traditional resource gathering. What I'm not fine with is requisite combat skills or multi-clienting to fight off a constant spawn of monsters. As I recall from the olden days, I could hustle my way around an air elemental, ogre or troll near my homes in the north mines saving my precious pack horse's hide and my own by some fancy footwork. Now, once I get through that gauntlet...I have to handle a golem spawning constantly in an area that was once a safe haven for miners. That simple line of sight break in the caves would also provide a very small window of opportunity for me to escape, should a gang of bandits come to disrupt my work.

In short, can we please turn off perpetual golem spawns in traditional mining caves?
    newme, Bestial, Red_Rover and 5 others like this.
  2. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

I disagree with this sentiment. Cast a blade spirit and be done with it.
    Swizzlesticks likes this.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I can understand that it is really annoying to have to have fighting skills on a miner. You don't have that problem outside of caves though, e.g. at mountain walls. Just use relative location when mining to solve the heigth/targeting issues.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    MikeK likes this.
  5. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Lol red rover liked your post
    Kane likes this.
  6. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

My problem is you kill the darn thing and it just respawns and starts scanning for your packhorse to kill, so u kill the golem again and return to mining, and it respawns and immediately scans for your packhorse if it hasn't killed it by now. Maybe you have a super good weapon and can kill them with ease, doesnt help the fact that by now ur packhorse is at like 2 hp cause this damn golem spawn. By the time you finish mining the entirety of the cave your packhorse is likely dead so you just gate your ore out... oh wait, cant gate here.
    *curses*
    newme and Blaise like this.
  7. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

I usually parked the pack animal outside the cave...
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

They respawn too fast for a blade spirit to be effective. There is no reason why a miner should have to fight spawn in a cave constantly while mining. This is simply NOT UO Mining. This is UOR Mining, and it is quite far from 'perfected'. In fact, it's rejected, because it just doesn't make any sense to even try.

I don't bring a pack horse so I can run to it every time I pull some ore up. I bring a pack horse so it can stand next to me and get loaded up as I mine. lol Entirely defeats the purpose if I just leave it outside to be killed by wandering wilderness spawn. Wilderness spawn is a normal thing that can be avoided or even fought with low Magery and finished. It won't respawn in minutes INSIDE a mining cave that's actually decorated specifically as a mining cave.

BlackEye, I do mine the walls, as I move between the caves. The wilderness spawn is more prevalent and harder to avoid as you do those sections though. I'm just seeking a return to traditional mining and there is literally no reason at all to have these golems spawning constantly in mining caves.

In a typical run, I could mine the three caves and mountains in North Mines and by the time I'm done with the third cave, the first respawns. If I just do the mountains, I'm through the range before the start of the range respawns.

Gideon, please, no GZ caves.
  9. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

I'm thinking this is a vocal minority. Everyone else that is happy with the golems aren't chiming in on this conversation.

The blade spirit takes so long to kill a golem, you can go through a few veins while it is happening. If anything, increase the spawns!

Regarding UO versus UOR, aren't these mining caves unique to UOR... Aha! Gotcha!
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The next patch will allow the ore golems/elementals to ignore pack animals much like what we use for the cave/mountain trolls.

We can continue to discuss which caves should/should not have spawn however.

The spawn on the golems is very very slow, some of the slowest spawn time in the world. Some of them were a 1-20 minute range. Ill adjust this to 10-20 minutes for now.

And as I have mentioned before there are plenty of caves that do not have any spawn, recall restrictions etc. Buc's Den, Minoc, Caves close to town. The only ones that have ore golem spawns are way off the beaten path.
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    newme likes this.
  11. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

I am going to go around with my 1000s of Iron golem shovels and spawn a couple hundred golems in each cave just for you Blaise.
  12. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Seriously? No! Don't touch the spawn time! All aboard! Next train to Trammel!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    MrCandyMan likes this.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Three caves, in the North Mines, is all I'm concerned with. They have been a staple of the mining community for 15+ years with NO spawn inside them. The only people happy with the golems, are the ones farming them to high heaven for golem statuettes. There are 16k shovels to spawn them on demand. I can't imagine any reason why they need to spawn constantly in the caves. Slow or not, every time I set out to go mining, they will be there. The only solution is battle mining or multi-clienting, which basically says "fuck you" to any player who wants to mine as they have been able to for 15 years or more.

It's fine, I'll carry on not mining because it's so 'perfect' and the player sales market is flush with ingots because of so many people loving the golem spawn.

/wrists
  14. a bad name

a bad name Member

Next patch will also fix tinkering explosion chests right?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    Ahirman likes this.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I honestly don't even know what he means by that first line.
  16. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Hm, I dont understand this one - Can you explain this?

Anyways, my vote is to keep them as is. I have met several players that enjoy the spawn. I wouldn't be against revising where the golems spawn, but a complete removal is ridiculous. There are plenty of places to conventional mine in the game and there are still caves without spawn.

Right now your argument sounds like 'I really liked hunting bullfrogs south of Papua on OSI, and I can't do that on UOR because of the taming quest, therefore we should get rid of the taming quest.'
    Kane, Swizzlesticks and Tuco like this.
  17. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you, Basoosh. :rolleyes:
  18. Worm

Worm Member

4 weeks ago when my buddy and I were just starting the server it was the first place we went to go mining. This location has been used by us since 1998 when I was able to get a small house placed up in the north. Its a nostalgic mining area for the both of us. Now we only go up there when we need to knock out a couple golem shovels. Truthfully I dont see why golem shovels dont work anywhere. Golem Lords are rather easy to kill and its not like we see pks stalking golem caves looking for miners that carry an item worth 2k on them.
    Blaise likes this.
  19. Bates

Bates Member

In all honesty, I've spoken to tonnes of craftsman and we all like the system fine. Chris you Rock.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The area up there is named the North Mines, not the North Golem Dungeons. There are a dozen dungeons in this game to find subterranean spawn. There are several other caves that these golems spawn in and you can ALWAYS spawn your own in any cave you like, with gargoyle shovels.

The North Mines are meant to be just that, not a dungeon instance.

Right now, my argument sounds like the inverse of why we can't recall directly to the Lost Lands. Because "That's how it was and let's keep it that way for nostalgia".
    Well, those mines in the North Mines are very very nostalgic and removing the constant spawn will not stop ANYONE from farming golems. Hell, if anyone has a problem, if they get removed, I will personally hand you a large pile of gargoyle shovels. I personally don't care for them much at all, so I'd be happy to support players with the copious amounts I get from BoDs, so they can go hunt golems in whatever cave they want, literally. Enjoying the spawn is fine, considering how many caves they actually spawn in and how easy they are to spawn with the 16,000+ shovels on the shard.

Bates, I don't think you know tons of craftsmen. In fact, I'd be willing to wager you don't know many traditional miners (not just crafters) if any at all.