Retiring from PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Unknown_Hero, Jun 17, 2018.

1. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Someone asked me in irc how this proves anything. This software looks over the exact rgb color of each pixel checking for the use of compression algorithm when an image is saved. Maybe 4 pixels in a grid are colors that are almost identical, so to reduce file size even lossless format like PNG will use algorithm to determine if taking the average color of those 4 pixels and using that for all 4 would make more sense etc. This is a gross simplification of how image compression works. If I then re-saved a compressed image, the next 4 pixels over might be close to color to the new average of the original 4, and further distort the image (but not really be visible to us looking at it).

By just checking for patterns of average colors (again a simplification) you can tell when new objects are added because they are less compressed than the originals. If two things did not exist at the same time when an image is taken, it will be compressed differently. I prepared that original image here, except I did my best to photoshop in 3 new spell tiles below the paperdoll:

[​IMG]

We all know that area is pure black hex #000000 and the tile is square, so this should be a perfectly ideal photoshop, and I even took the three tiles from the same image with the idea that now both the original image and new image would be compressed an equal number of times. For all intent and purpose it should be a perfect photoshop saved out with identical encoding. Here is the result of that new image:

[​IMG]

If the image in question was photohopped, it would certainly show up as it does above. What is inconsistently compressed is clearly shown in the mapping. This is because the white distortion is not consistent with how a double compressed image should appear given the known compression algorithm read from the file header.

Of course maybe the photoshopper is like a complete expert in photographic forensics and adjusted the bits in the file to add the illegal program using something like a hex editor on the file directly, but... what are the chances of that lol.
    Air, Hoominaga, Nusir and 7 others like this.
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Whelp, that settles it!

Grab the booze, pitchfork and torches everyone! @wylwrk
    Hollywood likes this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Nah dude, I've moved way beyond reasonable expectations here.

I've moved on to a 12x marepack and machine gunning bags of fireball wand charges.
    Hollywood and PaddyOBrien like this.
  4. UrinalCake

UrinalCake Well-Known Member

Someone just got bitch-snapped by science.
    Hollywood likes this.
  5. Balgami

Balgami Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

6. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member

@snap dragon take me to encryption land (dark web) and I’ll believe you lol
  7. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    snap dragon likes this.
  8. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

True. But I think you're giving them too much credit.

I did only say "It doesn't look photoshopped" which is true still.
    Air likes this.