Returning after a long absence...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Milky Milkerson, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

Hello. Awhile back I thought I kicked the habit for good, but here I am, back for more. I played the OSI game for a few years around 2000-02. I got super addicted and all I wanted to do was log in and kill some stuff. I was never really good at pvp because my ping was shit but i had fun monster hunting. Anyway, at some point I decided to call it quits and return to regular life. A few years later I checked back in briefly. They had just released some Samurai upgrade. There was way too much new stuff to learn and I gave up pretty quickly. I came back once more and there were gargoyles and I found all the new stuff to be beyond stupid so I quit again. Then around I guess 2012 or so I found the free shard UO Hybrid and that was fun but I forgot to log in for a few weeks and when I came back my house and all my stuff were gone and I was pretty busy anyway so I gave it up. Yesterday I went to see about playing again but UO Hybrid seems to be gone and I lost my password anyway. So I serached for free shards and ended up at one called UO Evolution and it was idiotic - no skill max, you get 700 skills right at the start. What a joke. How is it fun to have 100 taming if you didn't do anything to earn it? So a quick google search and I found UOR and it sounds great so I'm walking around in Occlo killing rats and sheep. It's fun to be a noob. And this seems to be the nice, simple way it used to be when I started playing and I love it. It should be really hard to GM a major fighting skill. Anyway, I thought I would post a quick message to say hi. I have no immediate questions. I read through the forums and researched specifics about the UOR rules and looked for template advice in the guides. I'm starting with a nice simple lumberjack. I also want to do a nox mage. Maybe I do have one question: if I have eval and anatomy I don't need wrestling, right? So I can have healing instead?
    Cordelia Black, ReZon, One and 7 others like this.
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Well, you picked the best shard to pick it back up!! Welcome!!
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

the Welcome wagon welcomes you back to Sosaria!

UOR is my second foray into UO free shards, and barring an apocalyptic end to the world, I doubt I'll ever leave it for good. haha. I definitely love the community and environment here. Shard admins are active and keep a stable economy and interesting events.

They enable players to conduct fun events as well so long as the events are run with a level head.

best of luck to you. if you need help getting up and running seek out PS guild. they dont give hand outs, but that doesn't sound like anything you'd be interested in based on your introduction. what they do have is a great capacity to help you get skills up and plenty of activity to provide you with support while out hunting.

best regards
  4. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR. Eval and Anat give you passive non offensive wrestling. Stun (Anat and Wrestle = special move Stun) mage is the most popular template for PvP with the seventh skill typically being healing or scribe. Nox mages are a bad choice for PvP however they're under utilized at times for PvM. Poison Fencer might be the best choice all around if your a fan of the poisoning skill. Lumberjack dex monkey is the highest DPS output template when equipped with slayer weapons and sometimes higher end runics. Tamers are a must for high end PvM and not that hard to work up if your able to team up with someone (or your second tamer) and go the retame route.
  5. Cordelia Black

Cordelia Black Well-Known Member

Welcome, PM me or find me in the IRC chat (Link on main website) in the #Renaissance channel or type #PS and click the #PS icon to join that chat.

You can also pm me on IRC as CordeliaBlack. Sometimes i change to Cordeliablack_work or whatever but look for CordeliaBlack and PM me if ya need anything. :)

Oh and in IRC. Type !PS in the general chat to find out what the chatroom and the guild that runs it are all about.
    And if ya need a house to stay in let me know. Or any old friends that may yet be around.

If you have noone,ill get you started
    Milky Milkerson likes this.
  6. Cordelia Black

as for your final question,i dont know, but without wrestling you cant use stun punch (if it lands,victim cant do anything for 4 seconds and is frozen) AKA you WANT that if youre gonna pvp on a mage. :)

Cure pots are instant here,nox mages are at the bottom of the mage template alternatives. Also the further yu are from your target the lower level the poison will be. Better on a Nox fencer with a warfork. Prevent them from healing or using any other potion that cure pot. sort of..this shard has a hundred ways and tricks to learn. The stun punch/healing mage seems most popular and scribe/healing mage (inscription doubles reflect and increases damage absorbtion of reactive armor to absorb 75 damage,or for reflect, two lvl 6 spells garaunteed).
    Milky Milkerson likes this.
  7. Mykos

Mykos Well-Known Member

Late to the welcoming committee, but you will find UOR the shard to hang your hat on for years to come. I have been here for about 3 years. I agree with Jupiter and will be here til the end of the world.

Your questions have been answered so I wont foray into that, but if you need any help. Feel free to hit me up on IRC. Welcome to UOR!!!
    Cordelia Black and Jupiter like this.
  8. Cordelia Black

aye, 1371 days here now :)
    Mykos likes this.