Returning Noob Looking for a guild and some friends to play with.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Deebo, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

Hey guys, I found this server a while back and fell in love with it. It's not just the nostalgia, but I don't think there has ever been an MMORPG to match this game. There are only three MMO's that I have ever been obsessed with: UO, DAOC and Shadowbane. I played for a while about a year ago, made some pretty bad ass toons, won a million gold in a fishing tournament, bought some property, but just kind of stopped playing. I didn't get on for a month or two and lost my incredible tower, houses and everything in it, so I just kind of stopped playing. I stored most of my valuables in my houses, so I am kind of starting fresh. I used what gold I had left in my bank to place 2 small towers right next to the cove rune library, and one on the northernmost part of dragon isle for easy ocean access for my fishermen. I also bought a ton of regs to raise magic resist on some previous characters that were lacking and bought a ton of scrolls to work on a cartography. I am in grad school right now, and I part of my studies is cartography and geographic information systems. I thought it would be fitting for me to create a cartographer/ treasure hunter.
    Anyways, I think that one of the main reasons that I stopped playing was that I never found a guild or made any friends. Also, I never got back into PvP, which is what set this game apart from others. That is part of the reason that I enjoyed these types of MMO's so much more than others. As a returning player, PvP seems really complicated. There are so many utilities and macros and things to set people apart. Back when I used to play, it was almost entirely about internet connection. Those on dial up were at a huge disadvantage. I remember one of the saddest moments of my UO experience was when I was using my Black Frenzied Ostard (back when spawn blocking was a thing), and I DC'd because someone was calling and I was on dial up. I had been offered millions of gold for that ostard.
    I want to do things different this time. I would like to make some friends, participate in more events, earn some plat and practice/ participate/ learn how to PvP. I already have a variety of toons, including two GM tamers, some dexxers, some badass fisherman, and one of my personal favorites, which is my stealthy dungeon crawling, lockpicker that I am working on GM'ing cartography on. My old favorite character used to be my nox mage, which from reading up on, seems pretty much useless on this shard. I kind of want to try to make him work. I thought about adding just enough taming/lore to have an army of scorps to constantly add poison, which must be cured before heals.That is just me though, I will probably try out a million different specs, compile data and see what works.
    A little bit about me. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta, Ga. I have a B.S in biology with a minor in applied statistics and data analysis. I am in grad school for an integrative biology program, where I have designed my own curriculum based on biology, statistical data analysis, geographic information science and cartography. I am single ( no surprise), My only child is my Siberian Hsky, which is my real life tamable pet. I'd give him about an 100/90 on taming and lore. He disobeys quite a bit, but is manageable when I feed him meat.
    Seriously though, I am looking for a legitimate guild that can be friendly, show me the ropes in PvP, that actively participates in quests and events. I have always loved this game and I guarantee that if you teach me how to play, I can be a valuable contribution to your guild.
    Leopold likes this.
  2. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

Edit: I am a surprisingly quick learner and am willing to analyze data/ try to find the most efficient method of obtaining objectives, I am a scientist end have/ always used the scientific method and experiential design. I am willing to run statistical analysis of just about anything. If you ever want to get weird with things, I'd be happy to run the numbers, I am a biologist and data scientist. Biology doesn't really translate to pixels, but given enough data, I can give you what ever answers you are seeking. I would enjoy it.
  3. Vincent Blackshadow

Vincent Blackshadow Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am looking for people to hunt bigger game with as some of my chars still need some work.

Your mention of stealth dungeon crawler intrigues me.

I am curious as to the template you use.

I am thinking of trying something like this:

Cartography
    Lockpicking
    Hiding
    Stealth
    Snooping
    Stealing
    Magery
    One likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  5. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

@Vincent Blackshadow
    Dungeon crawler probably wasn't the best way to phrase it. He isn't really a thief, and I never kill any mobs. Although he does have stealing for rare hunting. The playstyle I use with him is having a runebook with all L4 dungeon chests. I Gate to the location, Hide, enter the gate hidden, use stealth to get to the chest, pick it, take a step back and open to pop the trap, use a restock agent to quickly empty the chest (as a courtesy to other pickers, I loot everything including junk items, so that it can respawn sooner) and recall out You can do pretty much all of this without ever having to leave stealth. I then hit the jewelers and and mages to sell scrolls and jewels (sell agent), and deposit money/ heavy items in my bank and quickly hit the next slot in the runebook , and repeat until I am barely able to carry any more weight. I take my bag of all of my weapons/armor and drop it my house for my GM Item ID to do the entire back at once, keep anything worthy and just sell the junk items to vendors. When I am feeling nostalgic, I will stealth around a dungeon and pick/ loot every chest in the dungeon. It can be very thrilling with the possibility of getting popped from stealth, I just kind of like seeing some of these places that I haven't visited in a long time. It is not exactly the most exciting character, but I sometimes get a rush when I am stealthed and have a shadow wyrm walking on top of me. Also, it is not nearly as profitable as farming with a GM tamer, but it is safe and efficient, I never run into problems with PK's and after you get the hang of it you can hit every chest very quickly. As far as treasure hunting goes, he is pretty much just there to decode that maps and dig up the treasure. I hide him after that and let my tamer do the work in clearing mobs.
    My template as of right now is:

GM Magery
    GM Mediation
    GM Hiding
    GM Stealth
    GM Lockpicking
    GM Stealing
    Cartography- not GM yet

I was using magic resist for a while. It was useful for escaping if I accidentally got popped out of stealth in the lich lord room or something similar, but I rarely run in to that problem anymore. Just learn to watch out for mice, traps, and mushrooms when you are walking around stealthed.

I use meditation, because after you get the hang of it, you can can start hitting these chests very quickly, and gating is very mana costly, and it is a must. You don't want to recall right next to a white wyrm or Balron. After you get the hang of it, you can hit every chest in just a short amount of time, and make a decent profit without ever having to farm mobs or worry about getting Pk'd.

I just wish that the opportunity to obttain plat from the chests was implemented and maybe some higher quality magic items. Most of it is junk. You will, however, get abundance of wands, which can be very profitable. Before I lost my houses, I had a vendor near yew moongate that pretty much only sold wands and they would sell like crazy.

It depends on your playstye, but I find this to be very fun. It may not be nearly as profitable as a bard/tamer, but I can hit almost every chest within 30 minutes or so. I never get PK'd, and I very rarely die unless I make a stupid mistake. These chests are located in very dangerous areas and if you screw up, you are probably going to die.

You can find runebooks for sale with the chest locations, or you can hit up a rune library,

Hope this helps.
    Cretoma likes this.
  6. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

This is the template I have planned for my t-hunter. I want to stealth dungeons just as you are describing! I look forward to the challenge of exploring amidst the stronger mobs that would put me in a grey robe before I would even realize I was discovered!

Playing with a guild is one of the biggest things I enjoyed about UO--going on group hunts, rescue missions, player quests, etc.
  7. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

Exactly, this template has been great for maintaining just enough cash to develop my toons, and it is has served me well, especially after creating my own L4 lockipick rune books, but man what I wouldn't give for a blessed runebbok or an etheral mount. I just don't really know how to obtain the plat. I am just sick of going and trying to to do everything solo. I killed a beholder in the Elder Gazer room the other day, but for the amount of resources I contributed, I got 1 plat and a vanq weapon from it. I want in on the real deal quests and objectives. I could always try to use my tamers to farm gold, but I can't seem to make any progress unless I am farming at 3am. Otherwise a team of Pk's swarms in, instakills me and loots all of my progress. I have escape macros set in to play, but sometimes they are just too good and well organized. For the most part, the PK's have been kind and at least left me regs to recall back to town. I just desperately want to be on the other side of that. I don't want to be a victim. I want to join a well organized guild that is either doing the Pk'ing or are participating in events that result in plat.
    I also wouldn't mind joining a guild designed to hunting doewn PK's. I just want to fight and not lose 100% of the time.
    Cretoma likes this.
  8. Tuneful

Tuneful Well-Known Member

Hello Deebo

Yeah I recommend anyone to join a guild really....Do you use IRC(REally handy)
    Check out PS(Project sanctuary)
    Very good guild for helping new players,and very friendly players..Tho I am biased as I am a member of PS myself*SMiles*
  9. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

I have IRC but have mostly used it just to conduct transactions,. I am really looking for a guild right now.I think that would make this an entirely different game if I am not soloing and trying to do everything on my own, I also really want to start training in PvP. Right now I am pretty much PK prey, butt I am starting to read guides, set up macros and trying to learn. It id difficult without anyone to spar with though.
  10. Tuneful

well yeah I would suggest joining PS then
    We do help new players,then when your set you in turn end up helping new players yourself...check our frum page out in the guild section
  11. Lnomer

Lnomer Well-Known Member

Hey Man, this good fellow wants to train PvP and start learning that aspect too anc you are offering him PS? I thought PS don't PvP or PK. Also that was my experience during last 2 years...

For sure you guys would help him with housing, stocks and general knowledge of the game but how come you guys help him with something which is forbidden for you guys... Well some of you might have if not all of you other toons in other guilds which PvP's and PK's than literally invite him to one of those guilds, not to the PS.
  12. Tuneful

Ahh sorry my understand was he feels he is cannon fodder to PvPers..And he wanted to be able to defend himself better against PvPers
  13. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

Is there a fine line between guilds that PK/ PvP/ PvE? I really want to go out and fight. Large group and team fights are of particular interest to me, but I'd also like to participate in some PvE, Boss Fights and events that can earn me some plat. I already have two GM tamers on Separate accounts. Would it be best for me to have them in a separate guild that just does PvE? I don't like the idea of being in two separate guilds. I'd much rather join one guild that does it all. In my experience that has always been the way to really establish friendships in the game.
  14. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

@Cretoma
    Hey man, I have been going out on my tamers trying to farm tonight. It is good for the most part, but I get set back a lot by PK's. I honestly think making money is more efficient on my picker. You should give it a shot. There are a lot of lockpicking house to train at, and if you get your skill high enough, I have a GM tinker. I've been Pk'd twice in the last hour by a gank guild. I think I am giving up on trying to farm and am just going to go picking tonight. It is not a lot of cash, but it is safe and it adds up quickly.