Server Maintenance - Host Transfer - 6pm CST 2/23/14

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chris, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

~ Server Migration Instructions ~

While Login.Uorenaissance.com and play.uorenaissance.com will be redirected to the new server at 6pm cst it can take some time for the change to take effect worldwide. In the meantime simply enter in 76.74.249.219 into razor in place of the server name. During the transition we will only be down for 5 minutes. Within 2-24 hours the DNS changes will propagate resulting in players not noticing any difference in connecting.

For any assistance in connecting feel free to contact a staff member on IRC.

Here is an audit we did earlier of global access times to the new server.
    PIngs.jpg

Update 2-23-14 8pm CST - We have successfully migrated to the new server and the DNS changes are slowly spreading around the world. If you have any trouble connecting to the server make sure to use the direct IP address in the interim. Feel free to hop in the chatroom for assistance.

Update 2-23-14 4pm Cst - The new server has been setup, configured and tested and is ready for the migration.

Update 2-23-14 9am CST - We have started work on the new server and will announce a scheduled migration soon once our stress testing and configuration is complete.

Update: 2-23-14 1am CST - Tech Support was able to resolve the issue and get us back up and running.

On 2-22-14 our hosting site in Dallas began to experience a hardware outage. Our server is currently hosting on a large virtual cluster and while this outage has no effect on our data it is affecting our virtual servers assets. Given that our host is a business grade host, they are a bit lacking on weekend support so they are working to address the problem as quickly as possible.

We currently do not have an ETA but will post one as soon as it becomes available.

Due to these recent problems we have begun the process to migrate to our new dedicated server. Hopefully our existing site comes up quickly and they resolve the problem. I have faith in their ability as well, as we have had 99.95% uptime to this point.

If the site problems persist tomorrow we will fast track our move to the new server which is currently undergoing provisioning.

Should you want to test your connection to the new server you may traceroute our new ip.

Open a command window and type "tracert 76.74.249.219"

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience in address this technical issue.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    ReZon, Wodan and Huzke like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Updated with information on the switch to the new server.
  3. Treasureman_Retired

Treasureman_Retired Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I had to smoke 3 cigarettes to compensate for the 5 minutes of lost time playing on UOR. UOR is so uncomfortably addictive. sigh
  4. Bankshot

Bankshot Member

Where is the new server located? I assume somewhere in Florida?
  5. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

i think Tel said it was in San Antonio
  6. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Correct; San Antonio, TX. Physically, theres a few hundred miles of difference between the old and new server, but in terms of large scale networking, it should be pretty much invisible.
  7. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Loving the 1 second world saves! (I assume this is related to this?)
    ReZon likes this.
  8. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

I'm sure they are -- spec-wise, we're not on that different of hardware than we were before -- only now its dedicated and we're the only host living on it.

Chris was thinking last night that this wouldn't have affected save times, due to the processing method of a world save, but it sure seems to have to me! I won't complain! :)
  9. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Kal Des Tym, right fellas?!
  10. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

11. Reefer_Man

Reefer_Man New Member

I applaud the effort !!! must be really hard to maintain it all alone, however my latency went from 150 to 200avg i know a few more people that had theirs increase by 20ms. hope it will improve with time. but it might have improved for some others..
  12. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

Bumped my average ping from 54ms to 60ms. Sad day :).

Good job with everything you guys are doing great, new server seems to be running just fine.