SHIP Issues

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by SirLanceAlittle, Jan 3, 2013.

1. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member
    UO:R Subscriber

When a ship is placed on the water, either from the original Deed or from a drydocked Model, you instantly receive one golden "Master" key in your backpack as well as one golden "Master" key in your Bank Box. The following options (I - III) are currently working here on UO Renaissance as were verified by me on 01-02-2013..

I. Options allowed to anyone holding one of the ship's two "Master" keys in his/her backpack are as follows:
    • Refresh the ship by opening and/or closing either of the ship's planks (can be done while on the ship's deck or on shore).
      Board, or make entry onto, the ship by using the Recall skill and using the Key as one would use a Recall Rrune.
      Board, or make entry onto, the ship by using the Gate skill and using the Key as one would use a Recall Rune.
      Board, or make entry onto, the ship by accessing either of the ship's port (left) or starboard (right) planks.
      Lock or unlock either of the ship's planks (can be done while on the ship's deck or on shore).
      Name the ship by double-clicking the ship's tillerman (must be standing on the deck of the ship).
      Rename the ship by double-clicking the ship's tillerman (must be standing on the deck of the ship).
      Operate the ship while on the ship's deck.
      Open either of the ship's port (left) or starboard (right) planks so as to exit the ship (this does NOT unlock the ship and ship must be stopped and close to the shore).
      Access the ship's Hold (storage box) at the Bow (frtont) of the ship.
      Drydock the ship, turning it into a small Model that drops in your backpack (must be standing on the shore).

II. Options allowed to anyone holding NO key at all are as follows:
    • Board, or make entry onto, the ship by accessing either of the ship's port (left) or starboard (right) planks (when left unlocked).
      Name the ship by double-clicking the ship's tillerman (must be standing on the deck of the ship).
      Rename the ship by double-clicking the ship's tillerman (must be standing on the deck of the ship).
      Operate the ship while on the ship's deck.
      Open either of the ship's port (left) or starboard (right) planks so as to exit the ship (this does NOT unlock the ship and ship must be stopped and close to the shore).
      Access the ship's Hold (storage box) at the Bow (frtont) of the ship.

III.. Options one can perform while a ghost (dead):
    • Operate the ship while on the ship's deck.

Using the Tinkering skill and a blank key, a "Copy" of a ship's "Master" key can be made. This "Copy" should allow the holder only limited access, but as it stands here on UO Renaissance, there are a few problems (in my opinion), and they are as follows:
    • Ship can be named or renamed by anyone standing on the ship's deck, while holding either a "Copy" of the ship's Key or NO Key at all.
      Ship can be Drydocked while holding merely a "Copy" of the ship's Key. Note: This is how it is being done now on another UO server, though I do not approve.
      A "Copy" of the ship's Key can be used to Recall and/or Gate to the ship.
      A ship can be unlocked or locked from aprox. 8 tiles away, providing the person is holding either a "Master" key or a key "Copy," in his or her backpack. This distance is reduced to 2 tiles if the key is on a keyring. Note: This makes absolutely no sense to me.

A ship can be absconded, and sailed away, by anyone if either of the ship's planks are left unlocked. Furthermore, if an unlocked ship is taken, and the perpetrator places a small chest, table, or any item that cannot be walked though, on the recall location of the ship's deck, he/she can prevent the ship's owner from recalling to the ship. This is done to keep someone from getting their ship back before it decays. I lost a ship that way on Dec. 23, 2011 on another UO server. I was able to retrieve it with the help of fellow sailors. Although I hate loosing a ship, I do feel there should be some penalty for one's carelessness.

While on another UO server for nearly three years, I kept three to five ships on the high seas at all times, each in strategic locations. I kept one of the "Master" keys from each ship, in a pouch, and carefully labeled, in a secured armoir in my main house where any of my characters could recall to any ship in my armada in an instant. Furthermore, I kept three or four keyrings, each with a "Copy" of each ship's key on the ring in that same pouch so that any of my characters could access any of my ships. Of course, for about two-and-a-half years, I was happily ignorant of the fact that those "Copies" could have been used to Drydock my ship, had I have been killed and looted. I did, however, carry dummy keys on each ring and mis-labelled each of the real "Copies" so that I would usually be able to get to my ship with another toon before anyone could pick out the right key and drydock my ship.

But here on Renaissance, it is not only dangeous to keep multiple ship keys, it is impossible to keep those same keys because you loose access to your ship when the key is on a keyring. This greatly hinders those who do more than fish from their ships. Although I have never participated in piracy, I did often go hunting in Cyclopse Valley as well as Wyvern Isle, and hope to do so here soon. Also, though I don't really want to be killed by pirates, it is very exciting to be chased by four or five pirate ships like those of the Pirates of Despise (PoD) guild, led by Kander, from another UO server.

I really hope that these issues will be carefully reviewed. I do respect the decisions of the programming team in whatever they decide. That's all for now. I welcome all other ideas and opinions. Finally, I thank the Renaissance team for all their hard work.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Well written and I commend you for your thorough reporting.

For the record, it's Pirates of Darkwater, yarrrr. ;)

I hope they set sail here someday. :)
  3. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

Thank you for the kind words Blaise.

And although I'll deny ever saying this, ;)
    I too hope the PoD set sail here one of these days. :eek:

They were a band of PK cutthroats that were amazingly organized.
    I had the honor of being attacked by them, on numerous occasions,
    out on the seas of The Lost Lands. I pat myself on the back when I
    say that my sailing skills were such that they only caught, and killed,
    me once. They had 4 ships chasing me that day and they managed
    to run me into the shore. Although they must have spent a small
    fortune in resources, considering all the grenades (purple potions) and
    blade spirits they tossed at me, I managed to keep the bow of my ship
    far enough from the shore that they were unable to board. Both of my
    toons died, along with a friend that was with me, and also our mounts.
    One of their ships made a critical error, giving me a hole to escape.
    I (my ghost) was able to navigate to the nearest portal and sail to Skara
    Brae. All three of our bone piles had decayed by that point, but nothing
    of major value was lost and the PoD were unable to plunder even one
    piece of gold.
    :p

What a fun memory.
  4. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I like being able to recall to boats and drydock with copies of ship keys. They'd be well-nigh useless if they didn't have all the functionalities of the master key. And I feel it's sensible since we're all good with key copies for housing function exactly the same as house master keys.
  5. DarkWing

DarkWing Senior Counselor
    Senior Counselor

The Issues of the Copied Key and Key on Key Ring have been reported, and are on the Fix-it List, just have Patents my Sea Faring Friend!