Should GHeal wands have a cool down between uses *POLL*

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Pill, Sep 16, 2017.

Should Greater Heal wands have a cool down between uses?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2017.
  1. Yes

76.9%
  2. No

23.1%
  1. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Interested to see what you guys think on this topic. Obviously heal potions have this cool down so they can't be spammed, why should GHeal wands, which allow a more significant heal, be spammable? While critical in surviving a gank while stunned, they are kind of overused in 1v1 scenarios. This cool down would force the player to decide more carefully when to use them in critical situations, rather than use them as a panic button to heal to full health while running away. Maybe match the cool down to what heal potions currently use, or implement a hard 5-10 second delay between uses.

Please vote and keep comments to constructive ideals and/or criticisms!

UOR!
  2. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Most know I don't PvP however I've spectated many fights, both organized like Fight Nights and in the field.
    Pill's argument is valid regarding the GH wand spamming since it does seem "unfair", "not balanced", ...

But another point he raises is using a GH wand to survive a stun is the only practical means to survive. My intention is not to derail this thread into another topic but his comment reveals that stun is OP imo.

As a non-PvPer, please take my comments (and vote) with a grain of salt given they are observations. I have no horse in this race.
    Would a 3sec cool down instead of 5-10 be viable?
    Pill and One like this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

People that have waited a long time for a fight, get one, and the opponent ends up being an offscreening, pot chugging, wand spamming fish
    Vote = yes

Merchants
    Vote = no... but if you ever wish to reduce the cool down on them, let us know... k?

Rationale of reducing cooldown to the same table as heal potions AND stealth add cure potions to the same table in one patch
    Vote = why hasn't this already been done by now?
    One, Erza Scarlet and Pill like this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Black Tortoise, Cheapsuit and Pill like this.
  5. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

I don't personally feel like stun is OP, as you hit a equal number of fails before landing a successful stun. Albeit, the loss of dex is easily supplemented by red pots. By the time 2+ people land another stun for a sync drop, with a GHeal wand cool down, your wand would likely be cyclicable by this time. I think a minimum 7-8 second usage delay here would be plenty sufficient to balance things out.
    Animal Control likes this.
  6. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

Add a cooldown!
    Animal Control likes this.
  7. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Up! Cast those votes!
  8. TheUORnerd

TheUORnerd Active Member

If retarded valorite weapons are allowed to exist then why shouldn't gheal wands be spammable they are going for 2k-3k a charge homie sometimes just running by a tamer costs me 10k
    snap dragon likes this.
  9. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I would vote no.

The time to change the way these items work is over. If you nerf them you're taking a lot of value out of stashes that a lot of people have likely built up. Instead just reduce their spawn so they cost a lot more, then everyone is happy. The problem I think is a disproportionate amount of people doing things that yield t-chests and g-heal wand drops. If Iago wants to live through your 5 person sync dump after that and waste 30k in charges let him.
    Isabel and Vishakt like this.
  10. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member

Isssa no for me. Just changing greater heal wands to cooldowns alone isn't healthy..

You would have to change a few things for this to "balance" out.

& even with greater heal wands a properly executed EQ combo still kills you instantly, with no outplay. Soooo.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

12. snap dragon

I don't even understand what it means.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

14. snap dragon

Not sure what this has to do with hoarding. Unless you mean I shouldn't care if some people who have wands get theirs nerfed? No I don't really care, but this seems to be the most community-aggreeable way to deal with it.
  15. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

I essentially have an infinite number of charges, as I stocked up on a ton of these over time. IMO the value is a moot point to me. They've gone up in price over time, yes, but due to inflation, not due to the lack of them being circulated or being unobtainable. I would rather balance pvp then care about any sort of monetary value on an optional resource used for pvp. I don't think that reducing their spawn rate at this point, while people have stocked up on massive amounts is the right answer either, because it would leave those people sitting on a lot of wands currently, with a high value as well. At any rate, these are good discussions.
    binlagin and One like this.
  16. One

One Well-Known Member

17. Althorn

That's not the issue here. I have stockpiled tons of wands as well. Could care less what the value of them is or becomes.

If anything some changes to make other templates more viable for pvp should be considered. Currently there are tons of situational templates. Stun/heal mage being the strongest & most dominant by far.

If you nerf healing wands alone without changing other aspects of this game that's not balancing correctly. & it could lead to problems imo... like making other templates even more useless. On the plus side It would offer different play styles for pvp and people would not only be timing bandage timers but wand cooldowns ect. But research/ tests would have to be done & other changes applied to keep it all "balanced".
    One likes this.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

19. Althorn

It's tricky I feel the pvp is at a good spot ATM aside from template diversity. I don't know enough of UO history in general to say what would work, or worked before and what wouldn't.

I'm sure there are people on here that have played multiple servers and different instances of pvp that could offer insight on some steps to take if any changes were to be considered being made.

The thing with pvp in games is sometimes the slightest changes that seem healthly for one thing, could be the opposite for other aspects & can cause a lot of issues. But I'm all for changes in any way as long as it makes sense 100%.
    One likes this.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member