Should the anti macro check be excluded from fishing?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cheapsuit, Oct 17, 2017.

Should the anti macro check be excluded from fishing?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2017.
  1. Yes, there is no benefit from afk fishing.

20.4%
  2. No, I like innocent people being jailed.

81.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

There isn't a single vendor on this server who sells fish steaks, also no such macro that can kills the serpents/krakens, guide the ship over to the corpses, and loot them. Therefore, afk fishing is no threat to the economy whatsoever. So why is it necessary for fishing afk to be illegal? Afk farming is already illegal so there's no benefit in just fishing afk. I encourage everyone to read the thread before casting their vote. @Chris ?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Cade

Cade Member

UO has been around for 20 years. I would bet GOOD money there are macro writers good enough to print money getting maps, mibs, and AMIBs if they are allowed to fish AFK.

Its fine the way it is. It rarely pops up anyway.
    Orion GM BD, Zyler and One like this.
  3. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

I agree, its fine the way it is.
  4. Cheapsuit

How is saying something is good the way it is, without any reason other than you're used to it, good? I thought this was the server that "perfects history"? And just because something is "good the way it is", doesn't mean it cant be better.
    Dalavar and Orion GM BD like this.
  5. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Good the way it is.
    Spankrox likes this.
  6. Cheapsuit

Well if they're good enough to write a script that will move a ship toward a location of a mob of an unknown location, wouldn't they also be able to write a script to check the correct answer on the anti macro gump? One can't be possible without the other also being possible.
  7. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

But @Cheapsuit's point is that there are already mechanisms in place (aside from the AFK gump) that prevent this from occurring AFK. Specifically, the maps, MIBS, and AMIBs must be looted out of a bag inside of a corpse. There is no way to automate this step using Razor.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  8. Cheapsuit

I'm just asking people to think out their answers and not just say one way or the other simply for convenience purposes. Why is it good the way it is? Explain.
  9. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

I would be in favor of removing the AFK gump for one specific reason: it prevents you from building tracking into your fishing macros (because the automated responses that you have to build in for the tracking gumps will trigger responses to the AFK gump, landing you in jail).

I think that the other safeguards against AFK fishing (i.e., loot being in a bag on the corpse) are sufficient to prevent AFK gathering.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  10. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member

Trammel.
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  11. Cheapsuit

So clicking gumps make you feel feluccaish? I'm just asking for serious, non trolling answers is all.
  12. Cade

Cade Member

While there may be no way to automate this for me or you.. I've come to learn that some people are much much better than me at scripts and I wouldn't be surprised if someone knew how to do it.

And sure... maybe someone is good enough at writing something to do the AFK check. But I'd imagine Chris could tell quite easy if a group of 3 accounts was afk fishing 24 hours a day.

The AFK check how it is now at least keeps 99% of us honestly fishing away at our computer. :)

Just my opinion and why I say keep it how it is.
    Orion GM BD and One like this.
  13. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I will describe the problem with removing afk gumps with a personal anecdote. At one point in my UO life, I got into recall mining. I would put on netflix and mine away and keep an eye on gumps. Problem was I kept falling asleep and waking up in jail. Very shortly my timeouts got to a length where it just wasn't worth the timeouts to even try.

Lets say on UOR the ore fell to my feet and couldn't be scavenged (In an attempt to make mining more like fishing is) and I tried making the case that because I had to manually pick up the ore, mining shouldn't get AFK gumps. That would in effect, allow me to mine/netflix to my hearts content, and if I fell asleep, or went to make dinner etc, there would be no consequence. Sure I couldn't get the resources while I slept, but it would ultimately mean a much easier mining experience. I would never have had to stop mining and play UO. You could just run it non-stop 24/7 and just loot whenever you were around. Na, I would rather people get timeouts, and eventually move on to PLAYING uo.
  14. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  15. Cheapsuit

I respect everyone's opinion on the topic, but imho, I still have yet to hear one reason why the anti macro for fishing makes any real sense at all. To me it sounds like someone saying, lets put guards on the sun to make sure no one ever discovers how to destroy it. :rolleyes:
  16. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

I can make a macro smart enough to kill, loot corpse, move boat, & start fishing again. You might not be able to, but that doesn't mean it cannot be done. So I could run my macro all day and fish and gather amibs, nets, mibs, and tmaps unattended. Do you want that? I find it funny that these kinds of threads are created. We have been waiting years and yes I mean YEARS @Chris for Cub and Moats. You're trying to get already established rules changed, just because you don't like them....let's wrap this thread up people. Q the cig smoking man, and lock this shit up.
    Black Tortoise and Ahirman like this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  18. Cheapsuit

He has spoken! So let it be done.
  19. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

If your macro is smart enough to loot the bag inside the corpse that contains the item, I'm sure @Chris would like to hear from you.

The AFK gump makes it very risky to use tracking while fishing. That's a bug, not a feature.
  20. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member