Skill Cooldowns?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Baine, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I have a question about the differences in skill cooldown periods. Specifically, why some skills, like animal taming, allow you to instantly re-use the skill if you happen to select a "bad target" (ie: untamable monster, already tame animal, target out of range/sight, etc.) but other skills, like provocation, require you to wait out the cooldown period after selecting a "bad target" before you can use the skill again.

On a side note, I can't stand it when a stalagmite or pillar that is only 1/5 the size of a dragon or balron, that I'm trying to provoke, tells me it blocks my view and nearly gets me killed... (just sayin') :/
  2. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I hate that too !
    If a provocation attempt fails due to visibility, range or mishap (provoke something onto itself by accident) there should be no cooldown.

Only make valid provocation attempts trigger the cooldown.
  3. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

Can't bring myself to support making barding easier but that sure would reduce a lot of my frustration when hunting alongside them. . .

*returns to cleaning Giorgio and Robin Redding bits out his of dragon's teeth*
  4. Aegis

Aegis Member

it's on my list of pet peeves too...
    any skill that is not actually used (ie targeting wrong thing) should not trigger a cooldown.... as long as this cannot be abused somehow :)
  5. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I logged the results of testing the various barding skills in a text document at home. I'll add it later if I remember.
    Discordance has a 10s cooldown in all instances.
    Provocation has a 5s Cooldown on failure, 10s Cooldown on Success or Mistarget
    I can't recall the Peacemaking off hand, but it's got some variance too.
  7. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

Can any staff member weigh in on this? I'm curious if it's a bug or just the way it is. If it's the latter then I would like to ask for a poll to make it uniform across all skills.
  8. Bankshot

Bankshot Member

Yeah, I created a post in the bugs forum a while back for this issue. I'd create a razor macro on a 10s pause and every time it would fail. It wasn't until I made it 12s that the macro succeeded. I haven't tested it much since.
  9. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

^ Awaiting staff input please.