Small House Security?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by wylwrk, Jul 3, 2015.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Hello -

I just reviewed the guide posted buy Chris on home security and I've a question.

If I'm keeping the small house private (aka door locked)... why would I need to set up the "table wall" as illustrated in the guide?
  2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It's a backup in case you ever forget to lock your doors.
    wylwrk likes this.
  3. Bixby Legbone

Bixby Legbone Well-Known Member

Some people are really good at following you into your house via stealth skill, then they may wait for you to log out or go afk and then nothing would stop them from looting your house. Like Heretic said, it's an extra level of precaution against thieves and mistakes. What if you forget to lock your door one day and someone checks to see if it's unlocked? Or some people can forget their house keys on them and lose it in any number of ways.
    wylwrk likes this.
  4. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

It is just an extra security measure.

Also, always detect hidden after you've closed the door. Even with 0 skill, you'll still reveal anyone (as well as any unlocked doors) in the home. Better safe than sorry!
    Black Tortoise and wylwrk like this.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Oh so "secure" container isn't secure!

Got it.

*EDIT*

Actually, I don't think I got it.

The container in this illustration is on top of a table. How is this set up securing this container from looting if someone should happen to sneak in behind you undetected? I'm confused as to why it's there instead of... along the back wall. Is that the "one" secure container you get and the wall is for subsequent other containers that you can place in the safety zone?

Also, I haven't used this set up yet but this looks like a royal pain in the arse. I enter my home and have to unlock a table, move it, then lock it down again to get to the back. Is this correct?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  6. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Your secure container is secure (to whatever access level you set), but locked down containers' contents can be freely taken if you someone sneaks in your house.
    wylwrk likes this.
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification.

If there is truly is not a maximum weight/amount per house methinks I'm going to skip all this and micro manage/organize the one secure container.
  8. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

The question is, why is there a container in this picture? However, I think the idea is, if you take this container and put it on a green tile, it is safe from access outside the wall.
  9. BlackEye

And, your secure container has a limit: 125 items and something like 300-400 stones (325 or 240 perhaps?). Forgot the exact value.
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This system might seem a bit foreign as it is from an earlier time in Ultima Online where players had no storage limits on their house.

So secure containers were secure, to whatever access level you set. Ergo the container on the table which is secure and could have up to 400 stones of items in it.

Behind the table wall you might have 10 locked down containers which have no weight limit, but still have the 125 item limit. Thus allowing players to store bulk heavy resources for training, loot hauls, and such far exceeding the normal storage exceptions of a small house. The caveat of course is that if someone made it to those containers they could take whatever they like.

So you can primarily use your secure container and avoid a table wall, or you can store a larger amount of items that a small house might contain but you would want a table wall between someone who might sneak into your house and your valuables.

The best logic to follow is the more valuable items that are not secured/locked down, the more security you want between those items and the front door.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Bixby Legbone likes this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Damn...

Anyone want a small house?
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Players can always return their house deeds for full value to the Carpentry shop anytime. Just look for the vendor that responds to the "Appraise" command and drop the deed on him.

Just use the small house until you can afford something larger then cash in the deed to upgrade.
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes, I got it sorted.

I just can't bring myself to decorate my house that way and do that table lockdown/move song and dance every time I want to access it.
    The immersion it lost on it.
    One likes this.
  14. Heretic

I'm lost here. So secure containers have weight limit and locked down ones don't?
  15. BlackEye

Exactly. But both have a 125 item limit.
  16. Heretic

Great to know, thanks!
  17. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

There's no scenario where you get around the table wall bit until you get a property with a courtyard, and even then its a measure you'll want in place in case someone has a rune to your CY. The best way I can think for you to not feel so encumbered by it is to spend the time making a macro to do it all, then set it to a hot key and you'll never have to do the whole process again
    Bastian and BlackEye like this.
  18. BlackEye

Or, just give me all your stuff.
    Jupiter and Bastian like this.
  19. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Sorry, it has already been given to another player.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  20. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I hope you don't mean that you are not giving this a shot. If needing a table wall is a deal breaker, don't use a tablewall. TONS of people do not use table walls and are not house looted. It does not matter how skilled a stealther is, if you use keys and the locked door properly, they can NEVER get in unnoticed. You don't even need to use detect hidden if you just execute perfect entries every time.
    I know this is probably common knowledge but I will go over what a perfect house entry looks like and the mechanics behind how it works.

1. Stand directly adjacent to the door in which you want to open. You glance at your system messages and confirm you pushed past nothing invisible.
    2. Unlock the door.
    3. Open the door.
    4. Walk 2 tiles North.
    5. Close the door. If the door will not close, there is somebody hidden on that door tile trying to get in. Detect hidden and ban them.
    6. Lock the door.

A stealthed character cannot push past you without revealing himself. A door cannot close over a stealthed character. That means in order for a stealther to gain access to your house via the front door, there literally has to be an opening for him. All it takes is 1 tile for 1 second and they can get in, but if you come and go as described above, they can never stealth in because you never give them a single tile to work with.

[​IMG]

Note: This method should not be used on fortresses/castles front door. I just showed it here because it is what I have access to with a door. Sure a player cannot "stealth" in when you execute a perfect entry, but they can certainly just run the hell in and get in the cy and mark it up proper. I have a table wall up here in game because I honestly have too much to risk on single layer security, I just removed it for the purposes of demonstration.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015