So i am here..

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Pharoah, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

I have always been a Tamer, A Xtreme PvM'r. I know taming is one of the hardest skills and slowest to get to where you can actually go out and make some good $$.
    i would like to ask how the skill gain is here. Should i lock anything and just tame tame tame then lore by setting a hotkey to lore everything around me thats a animal? I just came from a place where i was a avid faithful player for 12 years with maybe 2 years break in between. i didn't like the way it was going so i decided out of many to join UOR mainly because it just feels and seems when running around like the old UO of the 98-2000 era. i have hardly any patience anymore i am a old dude, won't lie about that, was wealthy beyond means at the other place i was to the point it was no fun anymore aside from helping players get started in which most were one same person that ended up scamming me out of 100s of millions *haha*..Also some no no's that in my opinion private servers shouldn't do(won't get into that). It was at as point where everything was nostalgia and drama zero fun anymore people were dropping like flies leaving for other places. All i want to do is play UO and actually have a good time. If someone could please give me some insight on the skill gains here it would be MUCH appreciated :) thanks in advance!
    Kiryana likes this.
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

No special tricks to skill gains here. Unlike OSI skills are not tied to grids so you just have to tame away. There are better gains based on your current skill vs. what your trying to tame. That is all listed within the guides section of Taming from the website.

Also, welcome to UOR! I hope you enjoy it here :)
    Pharoah and Kash like this.
  3. Kash

Kash Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hey welcome to UOR!

Taming is one of the more laborious and lengthy skills on this server, but it's worth the grind to have the flexibility of a tamer (or three). If you have the time to spend with the skill, it should only take just over a week, but that can be longer depending on how much you can watch the macros. Much of the skill gain is spent at Jhelom bull pens which comes with a good amount of griefing to afk tamers, and therefore some upkeep on your part. My advice is to search the skill on the uor website and read through the forum guides linked to that page (Keza linked this). Many people use their own variations on the content in those guides, but that's a great place to get started with Taming here.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    NCCML and Pharoah like this.
  4. O'Malley

O'Malley Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

well surely this post already has invoked the Jhelom Ripper
    Gwenno likes this.
  5. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member

The pens are literally always occupied. The Jhelom Ripper need only step outside his door.
    O'Malley likes this.
  6. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member

Trust me, this is the way to go: http://uorforum.com/threads/the-mostly-afk-guide-to-training-animal-taming.38138/

I almost didn't want to join UOR about a year and a half ago because I was under the mistaken impression that I would be grinding away for a year just to get GM magery on one character. I'm glad I learned otherwise. Sounds like you are a bit like me...I am not a gamer and I don't have time for nonsense. I just want to hop on, play the game (alone or with people I like) and then go about my business.

Almost all skills can be done AFK here because there is none of that 8x8 nonsense we saw on OSI, and you can gain skill standing still, totally AFK and macroing (which is totally legal).

It's worth mentioning that it is not legal to gather resources (fishing, mining, lumberjacking, picking cotton, etc.) AFK, and it is not legal to kill monsters AFK (bulls and animals are OK).
  7. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

i played Chesapeake 99-2006 myself Leopold, names were HERC Dacek William Riker MeTeD couple others. i just came from Hybrid of almost 12 years (sigh) good to be here i hope i enjoy my stay
    Leopold likes this.
  8. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Welcome!

A simple way to start taming after intial 50.0 is Dagger Island with a boat, there is a macro in forums that attack near animals and tame them from the boat, you may need a second character to lure them near the boat. Another tip is to make 2 tamers at the same time, re-tames are great to speed up. There is also a spreadsheet with the requiered taming for each re-tame. :)

Enjoy UOR!
  9. Pedigar

Pedigar Well-Known Member

The Ripper is always running around on an angry polar bear, looking for tamers to extract his revenge upon.