So you want to fight without Magery....

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Blaise, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

My goal here is to outline what I have learned in my time playing as a Pure Warrior.
    Purity of a Warrior, is one without Magery, in my opinion, but early on Magery will help keep you alive.

Example Template:
    Anatomy/Archery/Healing/Parrying/Swordsmanship/Tactics/Resisting Spells
    Required Hotkeys (no assignments, just what I feel is necessary):
    Item Use:
    Bandage Self
    Use Bandage (no timer) – for bandaging others
    Heal Potion
    Refresh Potion
    Cure Potion
    Strength Potion
    Dress Items (as defined on the Arm/Dress tab in Razor, which can then be assigned Hotkeys via Hotkey tab):
    Using toggle is nicer than Disarm/Arm because one key will cycle that item on or off.
    Always leave the check in “Automatically remove conflicting items” so you can go from one weapon to the next with one key.
    Toggle: Bow (named Bow, but has bow by type set, so if I change bows, it still works)
    Toggle: Polearm (has halberd and bardiche, by type listed)
    Toggle: Sword (has sword and shield, by type listed)
    Actions/Agents:
    UseOnce: Once the hotkey is set for this, and you have your trapped pouches (see below) use the Add Container button within UseOnce on the Agents tab in Razor, to target your bag of pouches. This will add all pouches within, to the UseOnce queue. UseOnce will open each one in series, but never the same one twice (you have to re-trap and re-add them to the UseOnce queue).
    Scavenger: Great option for recovering your arrows if you’re an archer or other such things.

General play and good practice:
    Early on, this is how I started and worked along:
    Get trained in Magery to 30, for using Recall scrolls with 99.9% non-fizzle rate.
    Pack a rune home or to a safe location on you, at all times.
    I generally roll with 50-100 bandages at any given time and about 10+ heal potions, 5+ cure/refresh/strength potions
    This will keep you basically hunting well for a while, but once the PKs roll in casting Paralyze, you’ll want the following:
    A bag with at LEAST 5 pouches inside, but I tend to pack 10-15, all trapped with Magic Trap (I use an alt to do this, or ask a friend)

Macro: (I have only used one with such a build, aside from the Archer Bot macro I made for sitting on my keep wall)
    Escape – Set a hotkey (even if temporarily) for Disarm: Both Hands and record a macro using that hotkey, double-clicking a recall scroll, and clicking your safe rune.
    Edit the macro to insert a one second pause after disarm, so it doesn’t choke when it hits the Recall scroll. Set the dclick scroll to By Type and make sure to Re-Target the Absolute Target step, whenever you replace your rune.
    For the sake of security, drop the items into one of your trapped pouches without opening it, this will not impact function.
    Now set a hotkey for the Escape macro, and ALWAYS test it before going into the field. It’s only one scroll used to test, so do it.
    Now that I don’t Recall anymore, I no longer use that macro, but I still have it.

At this point, you’ve got everything above set and ready to go. When you’re out fielding, and the reds come in for the gank, you’re all ready to go. They will generally Paralyze a lot and right away so option one, hit your UseOnce hotkey until you can move, then hit your Escape hotkey. ALWAYS WATCH YOUR WEIGHT. If they hit you with curse, and you were 389/390 stones, you’re now dead.
    I generally seek to offload loot when I get around 350-360 stones, so I can handle the curse if it happens.
    Poof, you’re safe at home and the reds have to find another target. This can fail if the PKs are smart enough. They will have Harm ready to go in attempt to disrupt your Recall, so having heal potions and plenty of trapped pouches will help a lot.

So you’ve lived long with that method and now you have low Magery, making attempts to Recall in an emergency a bad idea. It’s time to get serious and bring the hurt, or get good at running. If you’re this far along, you’ve likely got 6xGM and are probably still finishing your Resisting Spells training.

Now when the reds show, there are a couple of options. Obviously trapped pouches are still essential if you want to escape or fight back well. If you run, just keep that Use Once key handy and start running. If you want to fight back, immediately slam a Strength pot, followed by the bandage self hotkey. The potion will put you 20hp under max (now 120), allowing for immediate bandaging. If you can get this cycle going AS they come on screen, you’ll be better off so it will likely wrap up right when the damage hits, keeping you in the upper range of HP. Parry is awesome, despite what people may say about it. Nothing makes me laugh like nil damage from a 7xtank halberd hit.

Pay attention to your Stamina and hit those Refresh pots if it has dropped by more than 10-20 points as this will affect your swings.
    Don’t bother Curing with bandages in a fight, you’ll just end up dying, so hit that Cure pot possibly right before the bandage finishes.
    I have no reagents on my Razor item counters (title bar) only Arrows, Bandages, Bandage Timer, MedStat Bar, Heal, Cure and Refresh potions. Obviously add whatever you feel most important, but that’s how I’m rolling.

After all this, I’m going to assume I’ve neglected to mention something or forgotten some detail. If there’s anything you feel could improve, post it up and I will update as I see fit.

The easier way around this is to just be a Mage like everyone else (yes, I consider the vast majority of ‘dexxers’ as mages).
    In my opinion, if you have GM Magery, you are a mage. If you only use weapons and items to fight, you are a Pure Warrior!

Also worth noting, you will be called a gimp and other such insults if you talk to the general population about this kind of template and play. That’s just something you’ll have to deal with if you want to make a character this way.

Sincerely,
    Grandmaster Gimp.

P.S. I hope this helps some people and generates a lot of cliché PK trolling, because that’s what they do best. [​IMG]
    This guide has been modified from its original version written for prior-era mechanics. It may seem weird or having things missing but feel free to let me know and I'll update it.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Bonham and Philthie like this.
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Where can I find these items? Thanks
  3. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

HC beat me to it.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Right here :p

Edit: No need to attack other posters.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Jesus Fucking Christ! The rage!!!

Look at your quote, it said:
    I was just letting you know.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Oh, I was just saying Thank You in the same special way in which you let me know.
  7. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

Overall the guide is good but the plethora of F bombs you guys are dropping might deter some people from getting valuable information. :\
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Edit: Blaise Rage Mode Engaged.
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  9. Daffy Duck

Daffy Duck Guest

I found this very fucking helpful. o_O
    Basoosh and [Mobolin] like this.
  10. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

RAWR!
    Toxic Narcotic and [Mobolin] like this.
  11. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

12. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

^^^

It always does.
    Toxic Narcotic and Wise like this.
  13. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

I run this, and thankfully have not seen a PK yet. This is probably because I play this character rarely/odd hours.

mace, anat, heal, tac, music, peace, resist

I typically just have a mage sitting in my CY with a runebook designed for my bard warrior and just remember my exit points.

That being said, unfortunately recall is just too important a part of this game. I wouldn't suggest anyone make a 0 magery character.
  14. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

mojo es fer panzee umies ........fyt lyke uruk!!!!!!
  15. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

On my Dexer I run GM Anat, Tact, Swords, LJ, Heal, Resist, Hiding and it works just fine with no Magery. I use magic trap scrolls, and Reactive Armor scrolls (if fighting melee). Fizzling recall sucks but doesn't seem to hinder me at all.

I have always had a character like this with no Magery since 97. I guess I got used to always having one from back in the Order/Chaos days where spells did no damage in town. I usually have a Parry/Fencer too but I didn't make one on this server. I still prefer to have magery just for emergency heals, bless etc... But you can always make builds work.
    Toxic Narcotic likes this.
  16. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

I always had and always will have a GM Mace,Fence, Anat, Tact, Heal, Resist, Hide :) kinda like Azaazel there :) always worked fine for me. Just gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em..

BTW Blaise....love the FUCKING guide.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

America.....
  18. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Fuck yeah...
  19. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

What a fucking turd.