(SOLD): Nets Nets Nets VERY Special Fishing Nets

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Cynic, May 11, 2015.

1. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

upload_2015-5-11_9-18-27.png

3 Bags of 125 each:

375k each bag OR 62 plat each bag.

OR

1.09M for all bags OR 167 plat for all bags.

This "auction" will last until tomorrow. You can bid on individual bags now, however, if between your "bid" and the end of this auction someone comes along and wants to do a total bag B/O then you're SOL.

If you don't like my auction format then I have a bag of 125 straws I'll sell to you.
    (The only thing for sale in this picture are the nets in the bags)
    Basoosh and ReZon like this.
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

I'll take them all
  3. JimmyJr

JimmyJr Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm curious.. Why do these things seem to be only used by a few? Are they a lot more dangerous than I remember? The possibly rewards just not worth the hassle? Inquiring minds want to know!
  4. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Good question. I have my guess, but wait for an answer from the involved net users...
  5. CaptainMorgan

IMO, it's mostly because they're a gamble. You can throw 50 and not get a single AMIB or you can throw 50 and get 3.
    Savage and Faber like this.
  6. JimmyJr

JimmyJr Member

Is there anything special about the pirate shipwreck that can spawn? That's a UOR specific thing, correct?
  7. CaptainMorgan

Just that it nets you an AMIB. Yes, UOR specific
  8. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

The appeal for me is they get you AMIBs. AMIBs are Trammel PvM. And I'm a huge trammie.
    Savage, Faber and Cynic like this.
  9. Aris

Aris Active Member

When given the chance, it is worth gobbling these up for any reasonable buyout.

Just a few amibs pretty much will cover the original cost you paid for the nets. We tossed about 15 last night and scored 2 amibs, but we usually don't get that lucky off so few nets.
  10. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Assuming an average value of 75k for AMIBs, you would need 5 AMIBs per 125 nets for your expenses in this trade. I don't know about opportunity costs though (how is the time consumption for 50 nets?).

Do you people gain something else from nets? Like rare nets from Loch Lakes?
  11. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

lol @ the big stacks of AMIBs.
    Teut likes this.
  12. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

It's a 2% chance to get an AMIB, so @ 3k a net, you're basically paying 150k for a random colored AMIB. Loch Ness Monsters spawn on 4% of nets, and have a chance to give a plat and rarely a random fishing net carpet piece (worth about 20k-30k, depending on which piece you get). Nothing to really write home about.

So you're not making any bank with nets. You're losing money (especially @ 3k/net), not to mention the opportunity cost of your time spent tossing the nets and then running the AMIBs. The opportunity cost is probably the bigger killer here. It's just PvM content without the threat of a gang of reds hunting you down.
    Savage likes this.
  13. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I threw an uneven bag of 87 nets last night. Out of those 87 I scored 5 AMiBs and about 10 plat and a couple carpet nets from lock lakes. It took me about an hour to do 87 nets. The ONLY reason I threw those 87 was because of the uneven bag, if it were a full bag I would have sold it here along with the other full bags.

I rarely gamble and that's why I sell these.

Out of those big stacks of AMiBs in the picture, only 5 of them are from nets, the rest are from regular fishing.
    Savage, Bixby Legbone and JimmyJr like this.
  14. JimmyJr

JimmyJr Member

You answered my next couple of questions, thank you Cynic
  15. CaptainMorgan

For those wondering, I pulled 20 AMIBs from these nets
    Savage, ReZon, Faber and 1 other person like this.
  16. The Hammer

The Hammer Active Member

How many of those nets were you actually just staring at your fishing characters? I try to just stare at my fisherman but I catch my eyes wondering elsewhere.. and get popped with the afk menu! Nice collection. Bump awesome prices and not trying to derail :)
  17. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

They were already sold, no derail. I can manage to watch something on TV and fish at the same time. I haven't seen jail since I was recall mining. With 3 fishers I actually pull serpents pretty often and I have to be there to skin/loot/skin and keep the boat moving.
    Savage likes this.
  18. Faber

Faber Well-Known Member

I've asked Cynic about this myself, and his setup is perfect for attended fishing. Personally, I fish for hours while reading/grading essays, and I don't miss afk gumps. Honestly, I'm really good at noticing changes on the screen in my upper peripheral (is this a thing?) vision. Try it out Hammer. Yes, fishing can be very boring and go through a lot of dry spells, but if you have something else to do. It's a great way to play the game and log a lot of hours it, but not actually put very much effort into the act. The effort comes from continuing to fish when it can be such a boring task, very similar to fishing in real life when you're using bait. There is no active "lure" or plastic fishing on UO:R, but I wish there was! HEROIC FISHING! CHAMP SPAWNS FOR FISHERMAN. heh. /enddreaming
    Savage likes this.