Some Love for PvP

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by swiftfeet, Mar 16, 2014.

1. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

Archery

Love it but its terrible. Seemed like we were on the right track when the running shot was implemented. There was just one problem and it was the misses at long range while on the move. As I understand this is the formula. (distance * rangemod ) + (defWeapon.GetDefendSkillValue(attacker, defender) / 4). As archery has a high timer missing over and over will result in death. So 10 tiles while moving is like hitting someone with 105 wrestle. If anyone plays an archery they know the miss rate is to high. And unless you have archer bots you will never be standing still. I believe this could be fixed by giving archery a 50% chance to hit from all range and while moving. But the further your away the less damage you do. So say you have a bow max damage 45. 10 tiles away moving. Standard 50% hits. While damage reduced by 1 per tile. This way you can actually do some sort of damage with a 4 second bow cooldown. I also did a test 10 tiles away standing still with 1000 arrows, the target had 0 wrestle. 42% hits. I am willing to test this over and over until we get the damage right. But it should always hit for 50% regardless of movement. The test between the Axe and the War Hammer which both can hit upper of 50 damage, the % to hit was 75% and 80% against a target with 0 wrestle.I have linked the photos in IRC many times. Both of these weapons are the same speed or close to the regular bow. Although the Bow is ranged I don't think the damage per tile range should be to drastic. As you can see the bow is the least effective at pvp.

CTFs

Would like to see CTFs free use (exceptions to purps and poision) (Already done I believe). On horseback so people can practice pvp skills. RANDOM teams. And would be great to get them every other day. With all the holiday events, having an automated CTF prob could be implemented. Also 1v1 because I am sure we have those people out there.

Line of Sight needs to be fixed

Guards can kill you without being in town (red). Not to sure about this but I have heard from many people about this.

Recall timer is silly and not necessary. Im sure all of UOR will agree with this.

Stun should disrupt
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    [Mobolin] and Huzke like this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Topic sandwich. Only all of them have existing threads.

Nice test work on the archer thing. I would like to see Archery adjusted how you say but also a true moving shot. No need for a special move but 0 pause to shoot. The varied damage on range would make total sense with this as well.
    [Mobolin] and swiftfeet like this.
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell archery can actually be pretty effective. As shown in this video by Wulver. He fights a lot of the shard's more prominent pvpers and often outnumbered and sends most of them running. I think one of the draws to archery is the +archery on magic bows makes you hit quite often.

I can't comment on the maths however, sorry! I don't know much besides there is a formula for hitting based on distance, but I was under the impression you wouldn't ever go below the 50% expected hit/miss rate that 2 GM weapon skills face vs each other.

I agree, mounted CTF would be cool. I think there was plans for one in the past. I imagine Chris could use existing CTF arenas and add mounts to them as well.

I had a problem with this once, I was definitely killed by guards outside of the GZ without even performing aggressive acts, but I was close to the GZ at the time and I think something has been fixed by it. I have however never seen guards whack someone far from a GZ. I'm pretty careful though, not interested in dying in stat. I understand that guard zones are a way to die as a red. But killing folks Saturday right outside the Vesper GZ in front of Mutombo's keep I had no problems.

Did you mean you aren't sure all of UOR will agree with this? There's good reasons for heat of battle. Just be glad you can hop gates as an alternative (You could not on osi.) If you think that pking is too hard to do on the server then you aren't being realistic about your methods and ability. This is an area where you should stop blaming the system and spend less time with whiners on IRC and more time in game. There are many successful pks on the server. There's a whole leaderboard of them for you to reference.

It does, actually! You just are unlikely to see wrestling disrupt vs armored targets. Try it out instead of listening to your detractor friends!
    Huzke likes this.
  4. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

Im farming, see a red coming already have a spell up. I don't run fight the pk I attack first. I can not recall out. Seems unfair to the pkee. Never said anything about pvping being hard.

As for archery Wulver told me he runs high dex and you can prob tell by the video. Not sure how balanced his stats are but MB would prob do great damage. Risk vs Reward while playing a archer. The % are accurate according to the tracking book on test. I was going to do 1k moving which you take a greater hit to accuracy but after seeing 42% I felt that was enough.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If you already have a spell up, in lieu of targeting, you hit the escape key, then your Recall macro, if you want to get away.
    Huzke likes this.
  6. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

Lol I know. Just say it was a mistake. You are now stuck running or fighting this pk. I am not to upset about how it is now but I don't think someone should be penalized for attacking a red or grey.
    boothby likes this.
  7. napo

napo Well-Known Member

If you start a fight, you should be ready to finish it.
    I think heat of battle should be longer, I've had people start fights with me and recall out mid-fight when they realize it's something they aren't going to win.
    In the situations you're describing there are lots of ways that the blue can avoid getting heat of battle. Like, for example, waiting for the red to attack.
    Understanding picky notoriety rules is an essential skillset to a UO player that spans multiple facets of the game. It's not unreasonable to expect people to understand them.

If we are going to talk about the heat of battle timer, I'd like the shard management to consider extending it rather than eliminating it. I've had people spend a few seconds running once they've realized they're going to die only to be able to recall.
    I think a good revision to the heat of battle timer would be to extend it to at least two or three minutes and also prevent players from using gates while the heat of battle timer is running. Perhaps some kind of range check could be implemented to lift the timer if the person you're in battle with is a certain number of tiles away or dead so that longer timers and the inability to use gates isn't an annoying inconvenience once the fight is over, while still preventing people from bailing in the middle of a fight they started.
  8. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I don't think we need shoot while running.

I will pvp you sometime Swiftfeet, I was hoping tonight but my father called right after I got done eating.
  9. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

Yeh man no problem. Im fine with the way it is now just the miss rate is to high. As you can tell by the test. 50% rate always and damage reduction tiles away from target. Seems like a perfect way to fix archery for pvp.
  10. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Here is my list of suggested updates to the shard mechanics that should benefit PvP (and other areas):

1) Fix the War Axe to make it work like a mace (era-accurate)
    2) Test and ensure that maces are properly damaging armor (era-accurate)
    3) Change the swing timer to make weapons swing intervals round down to the nearest 1/4 second (era-accurate)
    4) Change the base AR of shields - they are currently too low (era-accurate)
    5) Change the way shield block percentages are calculated so that it is off of the shield type, not its AR (era-accurate)
    6) Change the way durability impacts effectiveness of weapons and armor so that the range of effectiveness is 50-100%, rather than 0-100% (era-accurate)
    7) Nerf barbed leather (not era-accurate)

For #7, it may not be necessary if the other changes are made, as 1 through 6 should benefit various dexers and help balance the overpowered (IMO) nature of 35 AR for 2,500gp and no dex or meditation penalties.
    Anarchy likes this.
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I wonder if we can test if I can strip someone naked in a pvp fight from Papua to Delucia, because I did just that and was one of my most memorable fights on OSI. He was a dp fencing Minax and I was built just like Ormulfr using a war axe (that drained stamina). I stripped him naked and I was getting poisoned, one long back and forth fight... both mounts lost stamina and got killed so half the fight was on foot.
    Jupiter likes this.
  12. Urza

Urza Active Member

Wulver- That sounds like an epic bout.
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I mostly support these. The last one is a big one and there's some problems with it imo. I've considered this forever and my problem with it is that high end weapons are too common here (ie, not era accurate). I was on the server for a week and had banks full of 15-25 vanq and silver vanq weapons. I thought I was about to be the wealthiest person on the server until I put up a vendor and realized people wouldn't pay 10k for 25 vanqs here because they were so common.

The 36 barbed AR is definitely not era accurate, I agree, but I'm not sure if the right answer is to lower armor now that high end weapons are so common. If you could re roll every weapon in the game and have them come out with a more era accurate intensity then I might agree with that. I do think there are problems with dexers being competitive and armor seems to have a lot to do with it.
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant that a barbed leather *nerf* might not be era-accurate. I actually have no idea.

Drop rate of vanqs seems pretty low to me. I've got some auctions up which include about 75% of the vanq weapons I've received, from killing approximately 20,000 high-end monsters, GMing Lockpicking and Remove Traps SEPARATELY (ugh), and who knows what else.

I think there is still a backlog of vanqs from the days of their higher spawn rates, but that's just based on my experiences.

In any case, the items #1 through #6 are pretty well supported by history and should help improve the pvp on the shard. #7 definitely needs a longer look and a lot more insight.
    Mes likes this.
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I think all weapons should get some type of "perfection" done to the dmg spread. I had way too many single dmg hits (3 in a row) or misses with my +25 vanq bow in my video I just posted. Going below double digits with a slow swinging 2 hander should be a rare occurrence, but is more the norm. Fencing has the problem of 1-3dmg which I think should cap at minimum 5dmg unless it is against plate armor. It would require the most testing to balance but it would bring life to some obsolete weapons that just sit there BEGGING to be let out of the chest and lodged into a more fleshy chest.
    Jupiter likes this.