Some newplayer questions (fishing, economy, pvp-pve templates)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Telegatto, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Telegatto

Telegatto New Member

Hi there,
    i come from a very different shard, and i'm a little confused by some settings of Uo:R. Perhaps you guys could help me figure all out.
    First of all, i'd like to make money using a fisher (making SoS bottles and selling stuff) and, later on, treasure maps. That's all i wanna do for what concerns economy and PvM.
    Currently i have only one character with 95 fishing and 50 magery. I'd like to make some money to buy a boat and to macro the skills needed to kills sea serpents and stuff; i was thinking to sell the fish steaks and the magic fishes, and to get the few money i need from that.
    However i've realized that, apparently
    1) you can't sell to an npc more than 5 items at a time, so i would only be able to make 5 gp at time selling raw fish steaks
    2) npcs don't buy cooked fish steaks.

Any way to turn around that problem?
    If i wanted to sell them to players instead, what should i use to commerce? The forum doesnt seem used a lot, and the IRC chat is strangely silent (maybe i just have no idea how to use it).
    Are cooked fish steaks valuable anyway? I'd even settle for 1 gp at a piece, since i just need the money to start.

And about magic fishes? How to identify/stack them, and how to sell them to players? Any info about their value?
    If none of the above is viable to make money, how can i get some (i think 20-30k would be enough for my current purposes)?

Now, talking about templates.
    I've read that i should skill magery if i want to go for SoS bottles/map treasures. Which template would be optimal? Should i make more than one fisher?

Last, about pvp templates. I was thinking about making an archer; my second choice would be a macer/swordsman. Preferably with no magery. I hate using mages for pvp. Any viable template for an archer or a dexxer? Thank you all. See ya
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    One likes this.
  2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hail Telegatto
    *bows*
    O^S is holding a resist session for the shard and could use some cooked fishsteaks. I offer 3 gold pieces per fish steak, provided they are well cooked. I will not be needing more then 60,000 fish steaks.
    The event begins the 12th so I will keep my order open until then, so fish your heart out and welcome to UOR.
    On a side note, the forums and irc are extremely active, your doing something wrong.
    Jill Stihl, PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  3. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

Hi Telegatto, welcome to UOR!

You can make gold from the loot you get from killing serpents.

Special Fishing Nets: 2.5-3k/per
    Mibs/SOS: 900-1k/per
    lvl 1 T-Maps: 900-1k/per

Once you gm fishing you have a small chance to fish up a Shipwreck Kraken which have Ancient MIBs.

You can also throw your nets for a greater chance of getting a Shipwreck Kraken.

The Ancient MIBs sale for 60-130k depending on color and market value of plat at any given time.
    One likes this.
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

fishing, evaluate intelligence, magery, meditation ... is a good base for 1 of your 3 fishers.

That said, a fair amount of gold can be made with this character once it can reliably cast blade spirits. Farm non-magical creatures such as brigands, pirates, ogre lords, etc to fund your ventures. Once you feel you could handle say, a regular dragon fairly easily... you can xfer yourself back to sea (locklake monster is like a dragon in many ways).

Players have little to no interest in fish, horned leather, magical fish, etc.
    Barbed leather, MIBs, special nets (normal green), rare colored nets, AMIBs, are among the things fishers may sell to players with reliable interest however, it will take a crew of fully trained fishers to bring these items on deck in reasonable fashion.

PC disclaimer. Someday, somewhere a player will come along and make a pvp character their way, against the popular norm, and do exceptionally well at it.
    Go for it. You can be w/e you want in UO. That's why it's so great.

My new year's resolution keeps me from supplying my normal answer.

G'luck and have fun!
  5. ham

ham Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I can answer a few questions.

- Firstly you can GM fishing on shore. So you don't need a boat for that.

- Magic fish and fish steaks don't really sell, sadly.

- If you need 20-30K money, I suggest going to Occlo and picking cotton, and converting it to cloth. You can sell this to other players easily through the forum or IRC. I will be happy to purchase cloth from you for 3gp per (usualy rate is 1-2gp per).

- IRC and forum are actually used a lot, though most active on America's time.

- If you find me on IRC, I will supply you a small boat and a couple MiBs for free as a welcome gift! You should already be able to fish them up with your 95 fishing and should get you kickstarted with some gold and items.

Cheers and welcome to UOR!
    Bixby Legbone and One like this.
  6. Telegatto

Telegatto New Member

Well since i'm totally new to this shard's mechanics i would like to know your normal answer, if possible. Or, generally speaking, which are the viable/optimal builds for pve (soloing treasures and MiB) and pvp, since i'd prefer not to waste time training a non-viable character.

To everyone else, thanks. I'm working on the fish steaks for El Horno and looking forward to meet ham on IRC.
  7. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

General consensus is archery is terrible. No special hit, nonrepairable weapons, no runic weapons, slow attack, it can be used but it isnt recommended as a first char.

The most viable pvp template is some form of stun mage.
    Mage, Med, Res, Eval, Anat, Wrestle + Healing/Inscription
    others can give more and better info on this than I

Most recommend a mage/bard or melee/Bard as your first char to farm higher end mobs and generate $.
    Mage, Med, Music, Provo, + Enticement/Hiding/Stealth/LP/Resist/many others
    High end PvM is done on tamers, like it or not, it is what it is. Usually 2-3 of them.

to make money as a fisherman, you will need 3 gm fishers, so make 3 accounts and get them all macroing.
    Bixby Legbone and One like this.
  8. Telegatto

Telegatto New Member

Ok, thanks. One last question: is it possible to slain sea serpents/krakens and stuff with a fencer or a melee char, or do I need a mage/archer to do it from the boat?
  9. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

Mage/Archer would be better. Most mobs run away quickly when low on health.
  10. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I think MIB/SOS's are actually more money than that. I believe the range is like 1 - 3k, and sometimes a plat coin every now and then? If you fish up a bunch, mark them on UOAM and fish them up consecutively you could make some decent money.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

You were talking about PvP there at the end, and what I responded with was my take on the subject.. you're asking me about PvM now? Hehe, I wanna make sure if that was a typo or not as I don't want to lead you astray.

Archery is ... different here. I've done DPS control group tests between a wrestler and an archer with a heavy cross bow. The wrestler does more DPS. In PvP I just can't advise anyone use archery unless they have a specific goal and niche playstyle in mind. If that's the case, then go for it.

If you want to PvP and be an all-arounder, I suggest you start with a stun-mage. There's posts about it, I'll let you search/read those for advice.

Now, regarding the advice your seeking about fishing and treasure hunting. There's a few directions to go, they all work, you'll make money, but I hope you're looking for some fun too. It's just... I wish I hadn't stepped into this conversation. I regret leading a player towards macro automated triple boxing grind fests.

I'll leave that to someone else.

Try to not over plan. I know how you feel though, time and wasting it, etc... you want to do things right out of the gate.

I say, stop what you're doing. Make a new character using the warrior specialized template, get in the game, and head straight to the orc camp, sewers, ogres, ratmen, and then work your way down to Smaug the "dragon" in the treasure room in Ocllo's sewer.

You'll make money, I guarantee it and it won't cost you anything but time.
  12. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but I think @Ahirman was referring to what they sell for if you sell them instead of running them.
    Poogoblin, Ahirman and PaddyOBrien like this.
  13. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Welcome!

First, IRC and the Forums are extremely active! You might have just been logged in during a lul or something. But we are one of the most active communities I have ever been a part of.

Second, Project Sanctuary will help you out with anything you need getting started here on the shard. Some folks wanna do it all them selves, which is AWESOME, but if you are looking for starting gear, materials, hunting/training partners, a home to use until you get your own, please reach out to PS. Its why we are here.

Next, I would suggest starting a peace or provo dexxer for some quick adventure and gold gain. It can be used to fund your mage template (likely needed for higher end t-maps and fishing expeditions). And its just fun to jump in and kill stuff right away.

Fishing has been talked about at length, so hopefully you got some advice there.

Fish steaks usually only sell when players are running Resist Events, so El Horno looks like he is buying from you. Cook em up good!

Magic fish dont sell here.

Stuff from MiBs can be sold or used for deco, and there are chances to get a little more rare things in the chests.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

~Krake
  14. Telegatto

Telegatto New Member

I think there is a misunderstanding.
    I won't do MiB and treasure to get ultra rich. I don't care about that, i just want to be self-sufficient.
    I actually enjoy fishing the sea treasures and going for the land ones is just something i always wanted to try in UO (but never did till now). I just like the "adventure"/sandbox feeling coming with it. That's the only way i'd actually enjoy PvM. Dungeons, taming and other stuff... been there, done that, boring to me.

Apart from the "treasure/fishing" activities, i mostly enjoy pvp, and yes, i was aiming to do an archer for that purpose. But i'm kinda tired of using "under-optimal" characters, since i've always chose the "hard" way during the golden days of UO and avoided OP or just mainstream builds; right now i'm looking for something easy to start again.
    (Still not going for a mage tho. Just hate them. Probably gonna look for a good dexxer pvp template).
  15. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

archery is okay for a sidearm pvp skill. Sometimes you wanna skirmish with a tamer and an orc bow with the extra range is kinda fun to antagonize the dragons/mares at a safe distance hehe.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  16. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

Selling fishes to NPC i fastest done with the sell agent, that you must limit to 5 items, otherwise it will not work. You get aprox 60gc from each npc fisher you sell fish steaks too, so you will have to visit all fisher NPC's in the game, which you will find using a good Rune Library. :)