Special fishing nets...by the numbers!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by BlackEye, Jun 8, 2016.

1. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Heya fellow UORers,

I recently bought 500 special fishing nets and did them. For statistical purposes and inspired by boothby's excellent thread about MIB stats, I want to show you the outcome (but without the fancy diagrams etc.)

----
    General stuff:
    - Special fishing nets are thrown into deep sea. If you target sea tiles that aren't in the deep sea, you get a message.
    -When thrown into deep sea, 20 secs have to pass until monsters spawn.
    - Each thrown net spawns 1-3 monsters (Sea Serpents, Deep Sea Serpents and Kraken), when there is enough free space.
    - Additionally lock lake monsters or pirate ships plus shipwreck kraken can spawn when there is enough space. Patch notes state that the spawn rate for pirate ships/shipwreck kraken is 2% and 4% for lock lakes.
    - The nets are best thrown after each other. You could theoretically throw several out at once, but that would lead to blocked tiles and eventually prevent a pirate ship to spawn.
    - Throwing nets doesn't require any fishing skill at all. I checked with a GM fisher whether there is anything changing (different loot tables or other stats), but there is no difference. So, special fishing nets can be considered the Gargoyle Shovels of fishers.,
    - You want as many shipwreck kraken and lock lakes as possible. Their loot is the most valuable (AMIBs, fishing net carpet pieces, platinum)

----
    Farming method:
    As there are many lock lakes expected, I chose to fight with my tamer (2 trained dragons + mare). In order to be sure, that I didn't block the spawning of pirate ships, I threw the nets at their max range (9 tiles) and moved the boat 3 tiles in the other direction. This also gives enough time to prepare for lock lake monsters and drag health bars etc.
    The advantage of the dragon/mare combo is that they destroy all the normal spawns in no time and without costs. Only the lock lakes take their time and require active healing of the pets. Speed it up by additionally casting ebolts on these bosses.
    ----

Outcome:

- 500 nets thrown, 31 lock lakes (~6%) and 16 pirate shipwrecks (~3%) spawned

- Total time for 500 nets: 768 minutes (average time per 50 nets dropped to ~72 minutes with more experience)

- Killed monsters: 592 sea serpents, 213 deep sea serpents, 128 kraken, 31 loch lakes, 32 Ghosts of Pirates, 16 Undead pirates

Loot:
    - 16 AMIBs (2 red, 3 blue, 7 green, 4 purple)
    - 153419gp
    - 22 platinum
    - 1550 barbed leather, 8050 horned leather,
    - 10 special fishing nets, 29 MIBs, 5 fishing nets (carpet pieces),
    - 1 rope, 592 fishsteaks
    - Regs: 1781 pearl, 107 mandrake, 62 ginseng, 86 silk, 74 bloodmoss, 1650 ash, 85 garlic, 82 nightshade (= 3927 regs in total)
    - Tmaps: 1x lvl1, 1x lvl2, 2x lvl4
    - 56 wands
    - 193 magic items (3 vanqs, 4 silver slayers (+15 silver gnarled staff of vanq), 5 invul armor), crap sold for 13547gp

Loot.jpg

Conclusion:

- The total value of the loot is ~2.06 mil. The initial investment for the 500 nets was 1mil. That leaves 1.06mil profit in 768 minutes --> The income was ~82k per hour.

One thing to consider though: In case the official spawn rates of 2% for AMIBs and 4% for lock lakes are right, I was very lucky. Also the distribution of dropped AMIB types was pretty favourable. If one takes the official spawn rates and assumes a mean distribution of AMIB types, the profit would drop by ~600k leading to an income of ~35k per hour.
    Khari, Lord Sky, King of Fun and 31 others like this.
  2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Excellent content.
    Thanks for the post!

So, now, which is best? Fishing nets or Mibs?
    Tpain likes this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'll chime in and simply say, I stopped doing mibs a long... long time ago.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Tpain and One like this.
  4. BlackEye

Hard to tell, Heretic. Was I especially lucky with my 500 nets, or is it the average drop rate that differs from the original patch notes? I don't know. Probably need another 500.
  5. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Huge point to fishing nets where you don't need to spend a lot of time and agents to sort things out.
  6. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

Nice info!
  7. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Lord Sky and babo like this.
  9. babo

babo Member

Very cool post. I had been wondering how on earth could these be worth 2+k since I think I've used around 150 fishing nets and only managed to get 2 AMIBs. It has gotten to the point where I keep changing spots for "better odds". :D It makes for more realistic fishing though.

I agree that MIBs could use some spicing up.. maybe slayers in the chests or a chance to spawn the ship
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  10. TrammyCalvin

TrammyCalvin Active Member

@BlackEye

If it's okay with you, BlackEye, I'd like to add my data collected once I finish tossing 955 nets. I have not kept track of the time spent, which may be a crucial missing ingredient, nor the enemies I've killed- But probably will be able to gather a close to accurate assumption based on horned and barbed leather collected (Minus regular Krakens as there isn't really an accurate way to count them, since I didnt physically count them - But can still gather percentage of a regular MIB against the total nets thrown), and fish steaks.
    Here is the data that I will be displaying:
    Regs gathered, Plat, GP, Carpet, Rope, Steaks, Leather, Gems (I suppose in an attempt to squeeze the grand total of GPs made), Instruments, and VQ's / Magic Armor,
    MIBs, AMIBS, TMaps
    Tpain and Garresh like this.
  11. BlackEye

That would be awesome!
    Garresh likes this.
  12. Ikibahd

Ikibahd Active Member

Just came across this thread; @TrammyCalvin did anything come of the 955 nets you threw?
  13. Esponda

Esponda Member

[​IMG]

RIP @TrammyCalvin 955 nets was one too many. Some say hes still doing then nets to this day.
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

16 AMIBs out of 500, assuming a 2% expected drop rate, means what BlackEye got had less than 5% chance of happening. If you were an academic, you'd reject the expected 2% drop rate and assume the actual drop rate is significantly different.
    Althorn and BlackEye like this.
  15. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Stumbled upon this last week and figured I would give it a shot and record my results here instead of making a new thread. I was a little late setting aside the leather, sulfurious ash, and black pearl so those numbers aren't as high as they should be. I did not record the time it took either. Started off using two tamers but eventually benched one and had my provo-mage on standby instead. Provoking krakens onto Loch Lake Monsters was a big help.

Started with 586 Nets:

Gold-155,718
    Plat-27
    Amibs-2 Red, 6 Blue, 6 Purple, 4 Green
    T-Maps- 5 Clever, 7 Expertly
    Barbed-1,550
    Horned-7,310
    Mibs- 48
    Nets- 15
    Carpet Nets- 4 Pieces
    Rope- 8
    Armor- 4 Invulnerable Pieces
    Weapon- Silver Halberd of Force

Personal Value added up comes out to 2.191 Mill roughly

fishloots.PNG
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Khari, eherruh, King of Fun and 7 others like this.
  16. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Really looks like the true AMIB rate is more like 3% than 2%, if you add up everyone's numbers.
  17. Faber

Faber Well-Known Member

Thank you for the data Blackeye! I really enjoyed digesting your post.
    BlackEye likes this.