Spirit Speak and Bards: Animate the dead

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Six.spirit, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

I feel like it's nothing but tamers out there(myself included). It would be nice to see some other templates, like bards, get something to boost their potential in PvM(I also think dexxers should get a flat damage bonus against monsters). That said, I doubt this will happen because its not era accurate, but I wanted to share anyway at the encouragement of a friend and because it's fun to dream.

Allow full bards(all four skills) that also have Spirit Speak to raise the ghosts of slain monsters and command them like pets for a temporary period. Similar to Revive in Diablo 2 if you played it.

Balance accordingly, here are my thoughts:

Adjust time that a revive lives. Could be 15 seconds, could be 5 minutes, balance dictate.

Adjust damage they output, could decrease or increase their damage or keep it the same.

Should you be able to gate revives?

Should you not be able to revive some monsters, just like some can't be barded?

Limit the total amount of active revives using max follower limits, like tamers.

Should the use of a reagent be needed to revive?

Should players be able to use veterinary or spells like heal or cure on their revives?

Maybe you can't command them at all, and they just have their alignment altered for their revive duration.

Thanks for reading and sharing!
    Jupiter likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Allow full bards(all four skills) that also have Spirit Speak to raise the ghosts of slain monsters and command them like pets for a temporary period. Similar to Revive in Diablo 2 if you played it. [/SIZE]

Balance accordingly, here are my thoughts:

Adjust time that a revive lives. Could be 15 seconds, could be 5 minutes, balance dictate.
    Should be determined by bard difficulty ans success rate with max of 30 seconds. For example shadow wyrms would be 5-15 seconds usually, with rare success of full 30 seconds

Adjust damage they output, could decrease or increase their damage or keep it the same.
    Same as above 50% to max of 75% of normal damage and reduced or no damage.

Should you be able to gate revives?
    No, the reanimated pet should not wander too far from its corpse

Should you not be able to revive some monsters, just like some can't be barded?
    Yes. If you can't provoke or peace, you shouldn't reanimate

Limit the total amount of active revives using max follower limits, like tamers.
    Reanimated creatures should take up 2-3 follower spots
    Should the use of a reagent be needed to revive?
    A long delay like summoning of blades spirits and possibly a chance to break or significantly wear your instrument

Should players be able to use veterinary or spells like heal or cure on their revives?

Spells that heal the living should always damage undead/ghosts

Maybe you can't command them at all, and they just have their alignment altered for their revive duration.
    You revive and then you can provoke them on almost any npc mob with 0 or little chance to fail.

Thanks for reading and sharing!
  3. Ervin

Ervin Well-Known Member

I'm more of a UO purist so I'm going to vote nay for the sake of voting nay. But since I'm bored and have nothing to do I'll be constructive in case your dreams ever do come true.

3 minutes. I'd also say that you only need Spirit Speak & Magery to reanimate the dead, you couldn't command the dead but you could bard them however. This would mean that upon reviving them they are going to be aggressive towards you. This could promote teamwork.

Decrease. They are merely broken shadows of their former self.

Nope. You can't control the dead.

Wouldn't matter, you wouldn't be able to bard them and you can't control them so they wouldn't serve any purpose.

Again it wouldn't matter if you can't control them. The more you reanimate, the more you'd have to bard, the more risk you are putting yourself at.

Nah. I'd introduce Reanimation Scrolls. Non-scribable. You have to hunt for them, found on higher level monsters. This would create a market for them.

You can't heal what isn't alive, so no.

There ya go, that's my 2 cent. Actually I don't really have a problem with introducing something like you suggested with my take on it but what I fear the most is introduction of hideous animations like OSI tried to do. I'd rather just be the same critter but with a strange hue. Maybe like a Shadow wyrm but in deep grey.
  4. dissident

dissident Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I like the idea, but I think that goes too far from the UO:R idea of recreating 1999 UO.

But if it ever gets implemented, I agree with Ervin on most points except for the Reanimation Scrolls. I prefer Jupiter's idea about the chance to break your instrument. I would add the use of Mana or Stamina, i.e. fully depleting your mana or stamina -or both- every time you revive a monster.
    Jupiter likes this.