Splinter Shard - Alternative Concept (Poll)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Earsnot, May 4, 2019.

Would you play a splinter Shard?

1. Yes

59.7%
  2. No

40.3%
  1. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Purely hypothesizing here.

Keen to know everyones thoughts and opinions on a secondary shard on the UO:R Server being implemented with a specific ruleset similar to Siege Perilous back in the day.

1 account per IP
    1 Character per account

Complete mirroring of the existing map and ruleset we all know and love.

I just figure that we could collectively benefit from a completely new challenge and adaptation to a SP style ruleset.
    We would all benefit from the land rush, the single player mechanics, the weird ass templates it would create, crafters would be gods, tamers would be on a level playing field, the map would be bustling with people out farming and saving for those first houses in those primo spots.

If you have an opinion, positive or negative I'm intrigued to hear it and also, vote, who knows what could happen if enough people said yes and this was received well.
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    r3ckon3r, Hawkeye and Evil Dead like this.
  2. Earsnot

Guys, @scuba said yes. So you know this is a good idea.

Also: ripped from the UO Wiki:

Just thought I would throw that in for discussion topics.
    BabyGerald, Hawkeye and scuba like this.
  3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Interesting idea.

Although, we should hope the shard we love gets fixed before any more side projects...
    fooka03 and Earsnot like this.
  4. Earsnot

For sure. My fingers will always remain crossed for the faction fixes, PVP mechanics updates, archery updates, the removal of the stealing skill chastity belt, and the ever elusive 2015 CUB patch.

I view it more of a 16th character in a new land sort of deal. 6th character slots are a CUB reward - in my head this is an alternative option to this. More of a hardmode version of UOR for those that want a new challenge.
    r3ckon3r and Nusir like this.
  5. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

I like the idea but concerned about player dilution and stretching already limited staff resources.

Disallowing anything but the UO client and UOAM would make it more appealing too.
    Airin, Pharoah, Plentimon and 3 others like this.
  6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

This.

But i hear what @Earsnot is trying to say.
  7. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Voted yes but I have the same concern as @Jill Stihl
    Steady Mobbin and Earsnot like this.
  8. Earsnot

Player dilution could be an issue. Sure.
    I personally don't know how noticeable it would be. You'd still more than likely be on your other 2 accounts AFK plat earning over here.

With the benefit of knowing that everyone you bump into over there is a single person. That one character is your entire identity.

And just the client - no Razor. I'd dig it.
    I think that would be proper hardmode but I'd welcome the challenge. That's like 20 hours of manually casting firestrike on your spell book and meditating. Hah
    Hollywood and Jill Stihl like this.
  9. Earsnot

Oh and re staff resources, yea, I don't know how that would work, specicially server space.

But I do genuinely believe what you'd lose in staff resources we'd make up for with a more active community and a lot of veterans coming back.

Like a LOT.

And ultimately this is a numbers game right? More active players = more server activity = potential more donations = more resources.

I also feel like this would appeal to the "wipe everything and start again" players. Which we know would never happen.

Plus, you know you'd at least have a fucking bash. You totally would. This community is full of vets that aren't actively playing but are still involved in the community because they love it here but feel like maybe they've kind of hit a wall.

We see it from time to time, a vet sells everything, deletes everything and starts again.

What if there was a place where everyone could get in from the ground up, a complete level playing field for everyone.
  10. Talon Karde

Talon Karde Well-Known Member

I would absolutely love a shard with only one player per account.

Problem is... cheaters will VPN and create additional characters and accounts all the time. Unfortunately, we live in a time that if you don't join them, you have zero chance to compete. Same reason everyone has to make triple box tamers.. because you can't compete if you don't.

SP back in the day was so beyond epic. Wish there was a way to make it happen again.

People will say you can still enjoy the shard without joining in.. but it's just not true if you want to compete. You will quickly lose out on the best house spots, rares, rewards, or whatever your goal is in the game... You won't be able to compete.
    Mr. Green, Steady Mobbin and Earsnot like this.
  11. Earsnot

I think that a person cheating and VPN'ing to have multiple accounts would be waaaaaay easier to spot in a single character world.

The first time you see a motherfucker running behind another motherfucker pathfinding the jigs up and you'd be toast. You can't play 2 independent characters at the same time. I've tried here. Hah

And yes, SP was the shit. I loved it.
  12. Talon Karde

Talon Karde Well-Known Member

Well that part would be easy. But you better believe there will be people who VPN more accounts so they can craft(thus ruining dedicated solo account honest crafters). There would be people who did treasure hunters on a VPN... A fisher on a VPN.. And many opther types of templates that could be hide from others. Thus ruining the shard's economy and legit player's competitive balance.

It would be amazing if it could legit happen. I just don't think it can in 2019 and with gamers who have learned all the various ways to get 'win' UO. :(
  13. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Agree with everything said in here on both sides.

Would be great. Stupid cheaters.
    Nusir likes this.
  14. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Say no to pop splitting
  15. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I think it would be neat to have a new area with Siege rules, however, keep it in the main shard. Maybe use one of the default maps from the newer facets. The rules: Only one character per IP. They start with nothing, there's no traveling back and forth. Once the char is there, its there permanently. It would keep the population numbers up without splitting the entire shard, it would just need some way of "entry" either via "siege periliuos moongate" or something.
    BabyGerald, Raag74, Airin and 3 others like this.
  16. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Syphilis_Jack likes this.
  17. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Add a faction revamp to this list, add it all in and the server would be busy for years to come. @Chris

We don't need SP, we need people.
    One likes this.
  18. r3ckon3r

r3ckon3r Well-Known Member

Agree with what you say @Earsnot.. A real faction system that's active will be beneficial for the shard. I haven't tried them out on here though so I don't know what's wrong with them exactly, I've been back 4 months trying to train all my chars, house them and get supplies going. I'm close to doing that, so a working faction system would be good. I remember on an old shard I played, they used custom bases and faction team names. One base was at Lord British's Castle, the others were in quiet towns so they became more active.

I really think a revamp of the current faction system would create more action at least until the next holiday event.
  19. Earsnot

Oh that would be fucking rad.

So same Shard, but a 1 way moongate. It would be like the opposite of trammel hah.
    You arrive dead with nothing.

That make more sense.
    Steady Mobbin and PaddyOBrien like this.
  20. Thelax

Thelax Well-Known Member

Love the idea personally.. Only thing I would counter the idea with is its already fairly small pop and splitting that up might not yeild great results :)
    Pharoah likes this.