Starting up again after a 13 year break!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Toof Cracka, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Toof Cracka

Toof Cracka New Member

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to drop a line and say hello to everyone, as I am going to attempt to get back into UO for the first time since 2002/03!
    I've already managed to mess up my first character, was trying to go for a poisoner/fencer and realized that may have been a little over zealous of a learning curve considering I couldn't even remember how to apply poison, drank both of my starting poisons and realized I didn't give myself any Alchemy skills to make more, but this little hiccup led me to already meeting a positive member of the community Jess, who ever you are, thank you for teaching me how to use active skills haha.

Annnnnnyways, I'm rambling, just wanted to say hi, and tell everyone how excited I am to try and recapture some of those old memories, if any one has some tips or tricks for me, I'd love to hear them, cheers everybody!
    Hydrox, Basoosh, Sockz and 11 others like this.
  2. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the fray, my friend! If you want to learn tips and tricks, read the forums. The Guides forum is excellent. I still use it from time to time. Joining an active guild couldn't hurt either.

Good luck, hope to see you around!

P.S. There is quite a good economy here. Check out the Trading Post forum and look for the player vendor thread. You can buy potions from player vendors around a number of cities. You can also buy/sell/trade in IRC.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Orion GM BD, newme and One like this.
  3. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

Yes, welcome back. I feel for your problem. I have something similar with mages, and also with horses.
    newme likes this.
  4. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the crack!

15buckslittleman1.gif
  5. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

6. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome to the addiction once again!
    newme likes this.
  7. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Welcome @Toof Cracka ! A great starting template is to make a Peace/dexxer. It is quick and easy to get these skills up and there is plenty of money to be made! Look forward to seeing you ingame
    newme likes this.
  8. Valrick

Peace dexxers so underrated!
    newme likes this.
  9. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Yeah a peace dexxer is a good template to start because it's cheap and you can have fun while training.

Like start, play around, when you go to bed macro anatomy or music, wake up play around some more...
    Orion GM BD and newme like this.
  10. Valrick

Once you're skilled up you can literally farm regs as fast as gold. Which will help your caster chars!
    newme likes this.
  11. Genocide

Genocide Active Member

If you give me your location in game I'll give you a free Death Shroud
    Hydrox, Gromm, Pax Romain and 3 others like this.
  12. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Gotta love Genocide, he' s always ready to show new folks the way of the dark side here. lol

Serious though. Good advice on reading the guides on forums, check out the afk macroing rules, player run events ( to get a feel for just how great our player community is) and join our irc. Fantastic way to meet players and ask questions, and threads on various skills you might wish to try.

Welcome aboard,

I'm Westra or Westra One on irc

In game. Marjo, Governess of Wispfelt Village
    Kishember and wylwrk like this.
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I used to think there were a couple of first character go-to templates. I'm now under the impression they're just fun characters to play.

Heck, you could start with 50 lore / 50 taming, head to the outskirts of town, tame a small army of forest wildlife, and unleash them on the orc fort kamikaze style and do just fine. Make a little gold, head to town and train veterinary... head to the cotton fields for free bandage supplies and maybe take a small team of fierce woodland creatures down to the sewers.

Anyway, my point is... there's options.

You could start with a peacemaking fighter as mentioned and eventually turn it into a provocation fighter that does very well with some of the customized content here.... or keep it as is because a peacemaking fighter is a great casual/weekend warrior character to have fun with.

I'm sure you'll find something that suits your fancy but, my other point here is don't put off a character because you don't think it will earn a decent income.

Outliers aside, most long term players have a stable of stock characters to face the content here.
    • tamer of some sort
    • provocation fighter (dexxer)
    • lumberjack/axe fighter *
    • field scout (tracking) **
    • 3 BoD crafters ***
    random notations that might only make sense later :p

* there is a yearly event called Night of Horrors during the Halloween season. While some characters do well on their own during the event, I think a team effort with designated roles does much better. I spent last year very frustrated at the lack of equipment and did quite a bit of scrambling, missing half the event. This year, I've got an all purpose crafter planned out.

** some weaken their tamer by putting tracking on it with either evaluate intelligence for ebolt spam or hiding, magic resist, inscription, etc.
    I personally view the field scout as a necessity and a great SHTF backup character.

*** Bulk Order Deeds (presently blacksmithy, tailoring, and soon carpentry)

Anyway... maybe I'll see you out there. I just recently deleted all my characters to experience starting over and look forward to employing my own advice. Har-har.

edit: Then again, I might scrap the whole idea and just make/play one character. Hmm... if only... if only.
    Valrick and newme like this.
  14. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

Personally I don't "tripple box" anything, including crafters. I really enjoy making/playing a wide variety of characters and I have no problem sacrificing the would-be income for those extra character slots.

I recommend you make the character you most enjoyed back in the day, and play from there. :)
  15. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Werkwerk is slowly but surely talking himself into making a tamer. I watched it happen to @Cynic 2 years ago and it's happening to Werkwerk now. Don't fear trammel, fear the dark side!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Just made it.
    I've literally lost count of how many I've had / deleted here. Gonna just say it now, this one's a keeper.
    I'm going to finally do holiday events the easy way for a change.
  17. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

What is a peace/dexxer??? Never heard of this before.
  18. Valrick

Music/Peacemaking/Weaponskill/tactics/anatomy and either Healing/Resist/Magery/Med for last two skills

peace lets you keep an enemy from hitting you, while you slap them around
    Kishember likes this.
  19. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

Welcome Dude! Even tho I don't play as much these past 2 months due to NOT HAVING A COMPUTER, I still sneak on at work even after being written up cause well it's Ultima Baby. Try to bump into The Great Council people or just anyone.

Make a Musician/Thief/Ninja
    Player X likes this.