Stat loss for reds

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Kane, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It was recently brought up in another thread and I think it deserves it's own discussion. It seems like the general concensus is that if short term counts lasted longer, it would not only give more incentive to kill a red but it would act as a deterrent to those who pk but burn off their counts. The real question is, how many of us would like to see this inplimented?
    One likes this.
  2. 1-1=0

1-1=0 Active Member

I don't think PKs should be hindered any more than they already are. They are a rare and nigh-mythical creature as it is.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I have no PKs yet, so I am kind of the wrong guy to comment it. But I have a question: How bad is this skill/stat loss really? I mean, in the worst possible case, it's like macroing a complete new toon up, or? And that is only time and money expensive for Resist/Magery, or?

Having not PK'd yet, but going to do it, in my view of the world, I could even life with the fact that counts decrease VERY slowly (for the occasional mistake-count that might happen when using Blade Spirits etc). I see it that way, if you want to PK, then life with the consequences and don't be so afraid of the punishment. I find PKs a bit softy, that only hunt without statloss and idle 24 hours for decreasing their counts. Most honorable PKs like PFR and the RRG guys, seem to not care for their counts at all. It's more like a proud proof of ones abilities.

Or maybe not? One could also argue, that's why they recall when there is any worthwhile opposition and that they are even more scared of the consequences... On the other side, is the dexxer that is holding valuable slayers scared when he escapes as soon as possible instead of fighting back or is he a tough guy for using them at all on the field... mhmmmmhmm.
    One likes this.
  4. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

when you res in deep stat it drops your gm skills to 85.0... so your looking at 15%
    nothing is wrong with the current system and it needs to be left as is.
    ebola likes this.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    boothby likes this.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

7. BlackEye

Yeah, but with that argumentation, blue PvMers can set up 2 hidden turrets just waiting for reds to attack the one active farmer, too. Usage of three toons works for both sides. When someone starts about nerfing PKs (and thieves btw too, who also rely on gates. It would be near impossible to steal during a Harrower without gates. No way to escape such a big pool of players), my first thought is, nerf tamers/bonding/general-triple-boxing, but not my poor thief who dies often enough while trying to escape. *whine*
  8. Attila

Attila Active Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Bogugh likes this.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. Attila

Attila Active Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

On OSI, the extra accounts were less common, but mass population was common. It was never hard to ask a friend to log his toon in for you if you needed to spar or have a healer. I would argue that the extra accounts for training really isn't a factor. However, being able to cycle between 3 murderers (1 per acct) is the root of the "free shard problem".

Chris has plugged one loop hole in this by making it impossible to delete a character with a long term count. It's not exactly a clean system, because the gump says the character is already logged in, instead of saying you cannot delete this character because he has murder counts, but the overall concept is fairly unique. If Chris is actually paying attention and reading my constructive criticism, I would suggest patching the system files since you already offer a custom UO installer bundle with all the UOR specialty adjustments. This would make your customization make more sense to people who encounter it.

I would suggest removing short term counts entirely. I would suggest leaving 40 hours as a long term count decay timer and set "murderer status" to anyone with 5 or more long term counts. Why? Because this would increase the "waiting it out" for the stat loss timer for people who are using murderer status as a PvP flag. It would also reduce the amount of blues who PK a player every X days because of natural count decay. This "natural count decay" happens rapdily here compared to OSI, because there's already a passive incentive to stay logged in (platinum).

#1 - Remove welfare platinum for anyone with a murder count on the logged in character. Take this a step further, remove platinum counters for anyone with a murder count on their actual account.. or IP address.

#2 - Add in proper era accurate murder system features such as -5 karma not being able to deal with NPCs. Expanding on what I said in the other thread, make it so if you have any murder counts on your current account, prices from NPCs are increased by X%. This % would not be scaled based on their count total, as much as if you have at least one count, you are impacted by the price bump.

#3 - Discourage murder and not so much murderers from happening is what needs to be adjusted, if anything. Everyone wants to give PKs a nerf, but their suggestions have mostly only been tailored to red murderers instead of the blue players who engage in murder and never become red. These types of players are actually your worse enemy. They are dodging the system entirely and facing the least harm.

The only bad idea I've seen is requiring a red to pay gold in order to resurrect. Someone suggested a cap (500k), but that cap value is really not a factor, as 500k 3 years ago was a decent chunk of change and 500k today is a joke. It also promotes PKing with less consequences for the super rich, a class of players that really don't need a leg up.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Ouroboros, Zagyg, Eugen and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

I don't understand how this increases the "until blue" timer. Clarification? Example?

Edit: A little OT, but if I had a choice, I'd be permanently gray.
  13. Pork Fried Rice

My bad, more in lines with stat loss vs not stat loss. Not hue
  14. BlackEye

Stat loss is determined by your short counts, as far as I know. Short counts burn at 1 per 8 hours. Long counts however at 1 per 40 hours. Thus it would take 5 times longer to be out of stat loss.

Edit: Oh yeah! I automatically read it the way it's supposed to be read. :p
  15. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

So you want people with 5 longs to be in stat? What do you have against people using red status as a PVP flag? I ask as someone who recently decided that this suited my goals better than factions or O/C.

In my case there is nothing to wait out in the current system because my shorts will always be at 0 or 1.

I never do that. This often doesn't work in my favor.
  16. Pork Fried Rice

Absolutely, if they decide to res vs waiting it out.
    One likes this.
  17. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  18. Pork Fried Rice

I guess it depends on what you think actually helps population. I can tell you, if I logged on to UOR as a totally new player, saw 600+ online and then saw how the towns and dungeons look, I'd assume that 600+ online count was fake. This is how I felt when I was logging in and seeing 300-400 clients online. The world actually feels more empty now then it did during those days. I've been around 2+ years now and understand this shard offers all sorts of out of this world (literally) content and the incentive to stay logged in 24/7. For someone who is not familiar with this, they are not going to realize what's going on. I would argue that a high population count compared to the real active population count here is a deterrent. That's a topic for another topic and with the way forum chatter works, I would suspect that type of thread would land me in some type of disciplinary system for being a negative nancy.

I also do not think it will impact people's decision to stay logged in. If someone was going to bother staying logged in to earn platinum and aren't a real murderer, it would provide them time to burn off counts so they can begin collecting again. If the platinum isn't something they're after, then they probably aren't staying logged in right now...unless they are doing it to help with perceived population and if that's the case, this suggested change won't change their status on staying logged in vs not staying logged in. The only people this is aimed to impact are those who choose to murder the innocent.
    Bogugh likes this.
  19. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I don't think you're right about reds on the server being in stat (and active players) by the way. I can't think of many at all. PFR is the main one. A few of the TT reds but not the majority. The RRG guys appear to be barely in stat and I'm guessing they'd wait a couple days and res if they died in their current state. Amfekk has a stat red but he also has a couple not in stat that you're likely to see. Perhaps Clyde's red if he were actually playing.

I can't think of anyone else that's likely to be in stat. Reds with 5-15 shorts don't really count since they'll probably just stay logged in a couple days while they play reds on their other accounts. That's what the majority do in my opinion. The real stat reds are the ones with 100+ that are never going to be out of stat again and will rebuild any time they die.

Almost all across the board the players that play reds keep them logged in across their accounts while they work down the shorts. And some people do it with their blues (I do) so they can take counts on them.

this is why I'd be in support of 3x the long term and 3x the short term

Although I do appreciate that the mechanic in place is the same from this era on OSI servers so it's already familiar to players. It's also pretty impossible for telamon to change it without long threads of people yelling trammel.
  20. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018