Stealing Platinum bugged?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by BlackEye, Dec 25, 2014.

1. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

1. I personally had the experience that I wasn't able to steal from a stack of 6 plats. I failed in my first attempt. Second attempt worked.

2. I received this PM from my fellow guildmember Dimas: " I agree with you that there is something fishy about the mechanics of stealing platinum. I witnessed a trade today of 37 Platinum, immediately following I ran up and attempted a steal on the pile... FAILED... its a pile, you would think I would at the very least steal a couple of the coins at GM Stealing."

I assume that there is a bug cocerning this. From my understanding of game mechanics from this era (any era actually) you have a 100% success rate at GM stealing for items up to 7 or 8 stones of weight. But certainly a stack of 6 plats and a stack of 37 plats weights max 1 stone. That should never fail.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

From what I understand, you can't steal something that was recently traded. I could be wrong here but I think this was patched in at some point.
  3. BlackEye

You are right about that. In case 1 there was no trade. About case 2 I am not sure.
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I don't know much about stealing, however, I'll just say this...

Stealing a pile of 100 platinum should NOT be as easy as stealing a pile of 100 gold.

Sure, they weighh exactly the same, but the value is greatly different. I would assume that's how it's currently working and why you are failing, I assume this considering the fact that house deeds are blessed (or newbied, whatever) here.
  5. BlackEye

Stealing success depends ONLY on the weight and the skill value of the thief (that's how it was for all OSI eras!). Some artificial trading value is not and also should not be considered by mechanics. It must be as easy as stealing 100 gold if it's the same weight (and why shouldn't that be the case?). The difficult part here is to find someone stupid enough to run around with 100 plats (maximum I saw was 36 plats or so and guards had been called on me, so I died).

There definitely should not be a difficulty by "value" of an item. I refuse that idea and its not accurate. If its valuable and stealable, simply don't run around with it. Or why should a PK be able then to loot everything, but a thief not be able to steal within the standard mechanics?
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  6. BlackEye

The reason I post here is because I know that one stone items have a 100% success rate in OSI.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

You're right. Staff should make it heavy if they don't want it stolen. The best thing you can do is take some plat and test it yourself and post your findings in order to get more attention.

As you can see from cynics post there is a bit of an uphill battle for thieves. But your posts so far have been more than reasonable and you should keep it up.
  8. BlackEye

Thanks Mes, its on my agenda. Just need some spare time for testing.
  9. Taliic

Taliic Well-Known Member

I just tried 15 times in a row on 53 plat and it worked every single time and each time I got the full amount. I didn't bother testing any further because of the tremendous success. This was outside in the woods near my house, not IN my house.
  10. BlackEye

Thanks for trying out! I have no clue why my 6 plats attempt failed the first time then :-/
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

As Cynic was referring to, recently traded items can't be stolen for 30 seconds, I believe it is. This is to prevent total scumbags from using age-old trade window scam techniques to specifically control exactly when an item will be in your pack for the taking. Not only that, but the chance to set it as Last Target in the trade window was just a bonus.

I also agree that platinum should have a weight change in accordance with its value.
  12. Taliic

Taliic Well-Known Member

Would that 30 second timer be applied to items received from monsters, as was in the case with the failed steal attempt on ValoriVinyl at the champ spawn?
  13. BlackEye

Not from my experience. There is a slight chance, that Valori traded with another one from the group... it just seems very improbable as it makes no sense.

Blaise: Sure thing! Make loot droppable according to its value when dying, too. How about slayers don't drop to PKs anymore, cause they are soooo valuable. And don't forget CBDs, boat keys, name change deeds, mask dyes, event scrolls and hcoins. Yeah, decrease the steal success rate significantly. Let's all live happy and peaceful in Trollistan, the capitol of New Trammel.
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Not sure having items weight based on their value is a good idea...

[​IMG]
    ReZon and El Horno like this.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan. Considering all the client mods and macros out there that make stealing keys and deeds easier than pretty much anything in the game with a whole whopping jack shit to risk on your person for trying.

How about you go live a life in Fuckoffistan if you think it's a good idea to patch in things that let innocent players get fucking shafted with literally NO viable recourse for the crimes committed against them. Oh wow, you got to kill the thief who already banked your sub-10 stone item worth anywhere from 0.0001 gold piece to potentially millions (valorite hammer being perhaps the most valuable example). Big whoop.
    Now if players could get their items back when they exact justice on a criminal, or in the least, see the criminal put in jail for a good amount of time (entire account, to make it really hurt), I might agree with you on removing the trade-window patches and other things that make the life of crime you enjoy, so forbidding.
    Milky Milkerson likes this.
  16. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Someone stole Blaise's lollipop when he was a baby and that experience has followed him around ever since.

But seriously, there are so many ways to avoid being stolen from I really am failing to understand your apparent hatred of a play style. If they want to spend countless hours as a ghost waiting for criminal flags to wear off so be it. This is a sandbox with a stealing skill, lets not forget that.
    Turtle Chomper likes this.
  17. Turtle Chomper

Turtle Chomper Member

This.

It all comes back to what I posted in the PVP thread... I think people are too quick to jump the gun here on saying certain mechanics are "only used for griefing".

The true risk vs reward scenarios this game provides is what makes it so great. IMHO.

Not being able to steal something that was recently traded sounds pretty lame to me. (and I haven't played a thief in like 5 years)
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I was a thief as a child and once I realized how shitty of person I was, for being so, I stopped and committed myself to a life-long hatred of thieves. Up to and including but not limited to media piracy, stealing in video games even for RP, etc etc.

It's just nothing I can personally do, however I do support its inclusion in the game. The problem is that there is NO risk vs reward for them other than time spent. If there were a mechanic in place that returned my item to me if I killed the thief within X amount of time, by all means, remove the trade-window theft prevention mechanic.

As it stands, any shitbad with a deathrobe and 200-300 skill points can come up and pick an item from you and immediately bank it, hand it off to an alt, etc. This is completely bullshit and as such, I'll never support removal of the trade-window patch until such time as a viable recourse for victims is implemented.

ie: disallow banking of or trading of stolen items for X amount of minutes post-theft. Ability to Recall immediately should also be restricted for such time. If you've got another suggestion for how justice can be a viable option here, I'm all ears. Just like with murderers, I support their inclusion but not total freedom from justice. Blues not getting an aggro restriction on Recall when attacking reds is a minor bonus and a step in the right direction toward encouraging player driven justice that just doesn't exist otherwise.

Statloss is not justice because 3x accounts and alt tamers funding the retraining completely negates that as any sort of serious penalty for criminal action. You can say "it's a sandbox" all day but if there is no justice for criminals, then we are just building a gangland, not a society.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  19. BlackEye

Can't remember that anybody proposed to undo the trade window patch in this thread (although it does more than the wished for scamming hindrance). I certainly didn't propose that. Can't understand why this topic is discussed, it was just a possible explanation why plats couldn't be stolen. And then you (Blaise) started some argumetation with values to be considered. And now its about the trade window thingy (which I am fine with)...
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It's a discussion forum and people are talking about a topic. I posited that I would like to see a weight change on platinum as an afterthought to my comment speculating on the nature of your troubles with stealing platinum. At which point you dropped a load of hyperbole on the thread and discourse ensued.

I, for one, enjoy discourse and conversation.