Suggestion: Dark Nights

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by ravenclaw, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ravenclaw

ravenclaw New Member

Not even sure this would be possible but it is something that I would love to see.

If you go to the UO options, then go to the 'eye and scroll down to the bottom and check 'Dark Nights' the world you play in becomes more realistic and adds a level of difficulty to the game that, frankly, scares the heck out of most people.

If possible I was thinking that a dungeon could be taken, as a test, that enforced this option while players were inside of it. Basically the moment they enter the dungeon the "Dark Nights" option is forced to on and the razor "light Level" option would be blocked. When they exit the dungeon the world could return to normal.

This would add a new dimension to game play, slow down those that run around killing everything in sight because now they would not know what they are going to run into or when and create an interesting environment where you never know when you'll stumble across someone from another faction until it's too late.

Of course the "Alt-Shift" o r"CTRL-Shift" option to show the names of everything should also be disabled here as well if possible.

In any case, try it yourself in the meantime. Go into a dungeon, turn on the "Dark Nights" option and try playing it. You'll see what I mean. It makes the old dungeons new and adds that sense of caution that normally does not exist. Also the lighting is really nice this way as well.

Later.
    Ravenclaw
  2. izcenine

izcenine Member

Night sight. I mean its fun to play if you want to play that way, but I'm just going to cast nightlight the instant it gets dark.
  3. ravenclaw

ravenclaw New Member

Actually if it worked the way I've seen in the past, when "Dark Nights" is enabled, nightsight cast or on object only brightens things a little and still within a radius around the player not for the entire screen. would be similar to using a candle and then with nightsight your using a torch instead. A bit brighter and slightly larger radius of light, that's all.
  4. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Right now there is no real way to have the server toggle an option user end in Razor.

While theoretically possible, some of the steps to do this would be more of a headache then anyone would want to tackle. For example Razor is not open source, and would have to be decompiled or hacked, to respond to a packet. Then this specific razor version would need to be distributed to the players, and enforced that this razor only was legal as a 3rd party program. Then you would probably have to script a new REGION for the dungeon you wanted to have this feature, and have anyone entering the region send the packet that razor would recognize to disable the light filter.

Now were razor not invented, the standard uo client would be much easier to modify, and the server only allow specific version numbers to connect.

Although reacting and toggling an option would be a feat, I bet you could find a way to disable the toggle and have permanent dark nights.
  5. ravenclaw

ravenclaw New Member

I did a bit of research and, admittedly I am no programmer, this looked interesting. It might give you exactly what you need. So if anyone does understand this I'll post the links so you can check it out. (May come in handy for other things as well.)

[QUOTED from RUNUO] - http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/ ... ion.83400/
    Posted by Zippy, Razor Creator and RunUO Core Developer
    [END QUOTE]
    ETC... It goes on to give the script needed.

As to the Light Levels:

[QUOTED from RUNUO] - http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/ ... on.520623/
    Posted by Djeryv
    [END QUOTE]
    It goes on to give the script needed.

I don't know if this will help but if it does it could be interesting and not only for light levels.

Enjoy,
    Ravenclaw
  6. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Yeah some people use that to ensure Razor is the only thing you can connect with, Unfortunately if you enable that, then, Razor is the only thing you can connect with. People not using razor will be kicked, and if you disable the check for that, then no one will be kicked. So the naturalist's or people who just don't know what razor is won't be able to login.
  7. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Unfortunately, as Tater covered above, this is simply not possible because the source code for Razor is withheld among'st its developers and is not available to the public as open source software. Basically, this means that it is beyond our power to modify or restrict what can & cannot be executed by Razor.

The only possible alternative to restricting features of Razor, would require us to force the negotiation of Razor with the server. This change would then require that anyone connecting to Renaissance do so via Razor, else they'd be denied access to connect to the server.

The idea behind using this feature to control & limit certain aspects of Razor is not something that has been discussed among'st the staff team as of yet. I personally am not against utilizing this to restore certain aspects of game-play back to their original design (light-levels & night-sight potions/spell, global weather effects, etc), however the judgement call for a change of this nature will ultimately be decided by Chris.
  8. ravenclaw

ravenclaw New Member

All good..It's not a critical suggestion in any case just thought it would be fun and interesting way to add depth.

As to using razor, I'm sure many of the players already do and for those who prefer not to, they could simply log on with it and minimize it without using the features. I would think that players not using razor might actually prefer this, as in some ways it would help to level the playing field if certain razor settings could be controlled or limited.

When it comes to the look and feel aspects, that sounds great to me The idea of everyone having the same 'light-levels & night-sight potions/spell, global weather effects, etc..' means a uniform playing experience for all.

Well I think I've babbled enough though so I'll leave it in the hands and mind of everyone else to discuss. Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, I'm really enjoying the feedback and discussion.

-Ravenclaw