Suggestion for more PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by El Horno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Just wanted to throw this out there as a suggestion for increased PvP: Teach people to PvP.
    For a few weeks Ervin ran a pvp university guild and all the weekly meetings I attended had 5+ people there trying to learn. He had some real life stuff come up and no longer runs it.
    This leaves a huge void in that there are very few avenues to learn how to PvP. I would just like to suggest that some of these big faction guilds take a more hands on approach to getting more of the server's population PvPing. There are a ton of players who would like to PvP but know that they are 15+ years behind the learning curve.

Yes I am aware there is CTF and dueling, but this simply is not enough. People need to be taken under experienced PvPers wings if they are to really learn that aspect of the game and this is something I see a lack of.
    CTF is a decent place to start but it is run once a day and that is hardly going to get you caught up on the curve in any reasonable time. Also CTF uses PvP mechanics but is pretty far from how world pvp actually goes. You can start feeling super confident in CTF but step out in Sosaria and it is a different ballgame.

That's all I've got. I would love for some PvP guilds to help people get some experience in PvP and I think the result would be more action on the field.
    MikeK and BelXavier like this.
  2. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

Have you ever thought about trying a RP/PVP avenue?
  3. El Horno

There is only like 1 RP/PVP guild on this server, the orcs. They are rarely active and generally have no magery. It is no doubt VERY fun to be a part of that, but it is not really pvp training.
  4. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Once I move at the end of the month to my permanent location I'll do it.
    El Horno likes this.
  5. napo

napo Well-Known Member

We regularly take on new players and train them up, but we can only take so many at a time. We're called a zerg often enough as it is.
  6. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

I would be curious to see what would happen if Telamon disabled stat loss for one hour (and gave everyone a heads up weeks prior to doing so) to see what sort of effect it would have on activity. While most people would probably say something along the lines of "giant red groups popping up to fight other giant red groups" I don't think it's quite that simple.
  7. El Horno

I am failing to see the relation. Players that don't know how to PvP generally don't have stat loss reds.
  8. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

I'm wondering if it would encourage people who wouldn't normally attack other people to do so. And if that wouldn't have some sort of ripple effect.

I mean, disable stat loss and murder counts for an hour. What happens? Does it generate interest in PvP? Or does it just result in pointless killing? Or (more likely) a combination of both of those and more?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  9. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

There's like 5 characters on this shard that regularly play (PK) with stat loss looming. And all of them have a bunch of alt characters that aren't in stat loss range.
  10. The hound

The hound Active Member

That is one thing I kind of miss about osi. Those events where you would literally have 100 players on screen and half of them reds trying to mess up the event and steal rewards. Lots of dying and looting going on. Blues banding together to fight reds in hopes of keeping their spoils.
  11. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Lol. I can hear the massive whine and cry fest that would produce here. Telamon would have to log off irc and stop his forum account from accepting messages if something like that happened here. I mean just look at what happened at this years Halloween events. So many people bitched cried and complained about the instances events, that they will no longer be done as one big group. Now try to imagine if a group of pks came in that event and raided it. Half the server would quit from the massive pussy ache it would induce in them.

Hell, go take 2 or 3 reds and pk someone who happens to be in irc and probably 70% of the time they will having a whining meltdown in irc about how gay and lame the pks are and how it isn't fair etc etc etc.

People love to say they only want to play on a felucca server, until someone pks them or does something they don't like. Then they immediately start screaming for trammel. It's pretty sad.
    PaddyOBrien, [Mobolin] and Jupiter like this.
  12. El Horno

Sounds good, I bet a lot of people will take you up on that Mandevu.
    Jupiter likes this.
  13. The hound

The hound Active Member

What if we just made an exact replica of the map; one that is pvp friendly, one where it wasn't allowed period!

This way it would give players the option whether they wanted to be killed and dry looted and bitch on irc or if they just wanted to afk macro dungeons and mining till the economy is so screwed up that the new method of currency is platinum ingots!!!
  14. El Horno

Where is everyone trying to take this thread? I really have no idea how any of this relates to the suggestion that more PvP guilds take a hands on approach to teaching players to PvP. I don't think the small PvP scene is a mechanics issue, I think its a social one. Fresh blood is my solution.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Jupiter likes this.
  15. The hound

The hound Active Member

Obviously you can tell my post was a joke. I think more pvp is great. I was reminiscing of big pvp battles. All I've seen here is a red or two running around ganking characters that aren't built to fight back. That's not pvp
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've posited the same thing a couplefew times now. Mandevu, HateCrime and several others have gotten on board to at least have their ear open if anyone asked for some guidance. I have some intentions of driving such efforts after the new year so perhaps this latest resurrection of the idea will take better hold.
  17. Wigwam

Wigwam New Member

This. As someone who is just getting back into UO and hasn't PvP'd in a while (but loves it), I just don't see how I can get into it. As it stands, the only PvP I'm getting is an ambush by a PK when I'm in a dungeon with half my mana gone. If it were easier to get in touch with people trying to bring more people into the PvP scene, I'd already be doing it. Then again, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
  18. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

Wigwam, the PvP here is either duels in the pits, some factioners chasing each other around, usually in short bursts. PK's rolling in twos or threes ganking anyone they happen to find, or the rare field fight that breaks out from time to time.

So PvP does happen you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

CTF has somewhat replaced PvP and is a place where people can bring their shiny l33t gear and do it up.
  19. El Horno

No, your looking in the right places, and there are a ton of players in the same exact boat.
  20. Codus

Codus Well-Known Member

i don't pvp becuase i never had. I played live on a phone line that caused me to lag/die and so i never got into it. I would LOVE to learn how to do it (tho I am sure I would be terrible at it) hence the not going out into the field to get STOMPED and spending more time restocking then playing... (Disney-land effect - spend 2 hours on a line for 15 mins of fun).

If there was somewhere to learn in the relative safely of a "class" i'd be there in a minute.
    El Horno likes this.