Suggestion for more PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by El Horno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It would be nice to see a larger scale arena made available for such things. Most of the hurdle is getting your hotkeys setup good and getting really used to them (muscle memory).
  2. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

i would be willing to do this if you could convince me that any of the players who SAY they want to pvp are actually willing to put the time/effort into it.

from what i have experienced, and i think at least Hazy will back me up, most people who SAY they want to pvp (but don't end up pvping) really just like the idea of pvping but aren't willing to LEARN.

the most common way you'll see this manifest itself is people who just can't be bothered to get into VoIP chat, or if they do, they won't bother to get a microphone. "i can hear you guys its cool." whatever, you obviously don't care, THAT GUY!

the second big filter is the harsh reality of what pvp actually IS as opposed to the honorable chess gambit that non-pvpers imagine it to be. most new entrants have an intellectual understanding of their destiny to "die a lot", but when it actually happens become frustrated and quit, citing dishonorable conduct or insurmountable numbers of opposition forces.

it's whatever. i'll make a guild stone tomorrow and become full-time pvp teacher if you want, but i don't think the players you're suggesting actually exist.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Please, for the love of UO, don't be THAT GUY.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

You have some really good points, and I can't speak for these suggested players but I for one have a mic, love dieing, and am looking forward to getting on the stone.
  5. Liberation

aren't you with CoM?
  6. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Nope I haven't ever been with anyone. I've been dueling as much as I can lately to get used to my hotkeys and individuals have helped me here and there but nothing in the field yet.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

None of that stuff matters if you're just interested in 1v1'ing though.

The best way to learn, IMO, is to spend your first couple of weeks just focused on not dying. Find someone in a dungeon, go gray to them (mini-heal the criminal monster they're fighting, or whatever), and see what happens. Also forces you not to rely on recalling. Hold up GHeal, break as many unwritten rules as you can, and just focus on trying to survive as long as you can against one person. (if two or more, just run... it's too much to try to learn when you're new). You'll learn the sounds of spells, their cadence, the damage delay, etc.

Then once you have a good sense of how to live, start trying to kill people.

Everyone seems to want to go the opposite route... they think of learning pvp as learning how to kill people, and so that's what they try to do first. That's only useful if you want to just go out and turn red and pick off easy targets. If you learn how to play defense first, your fights will last much longer, you'll die less, and you'll be less likely to get discouraged.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol, 1v1
  9. Liberation

pvp advice from dalavar. if you want 1v1s, flag grey in high traffic areas!
    Kane likes this.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Dude, he did the math.
  11. Codus

Codus Well-Known Member

well - i have a few pvp templated toons ready to go...

I have every Voice Chat program ready to go and I log into Vent here sometimes - noones on.. i miss voice chat mmoing!!!... even if we dont pvp will you be my vent friend? :p

I die alot pvm already.. im ready to die to people.. now that I have cash to fund it, im good.

MOLD ME.. I AM PUTTY IN YOUR HANDS!
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

1) what's a high traffic area here? I'd farm at EG and see someone about once every hour or two.
    2) not everyone calls in a bunch of friends to jump on a gray in a dungeon. Most people just attack them, or leave.
  13. Liberation

perhaps i have a skewed perception on this since every time i see a blue outside of guardzone they're in #renaissance fully-engorged like GUYS SL ARE AT DUNGEON X.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Not a great deal use Vent. Liberation has a personal mumble host established for their group. I have a similar setup but made it public use a long while ago now. I think Telamon may be registering a larger mumble server for official shard voice services in the coming year as well.

My mumble server, with CTF, Faction and Guild (on request) channels:
    uor.mumbleserver.me port 36236
  15. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

Mumble has a few of us dedicated in there. I recommend definetly defineatly get a microphone. It will enable more effective communication and right off the bat it will make you a better pvper. I am still new here but if you are ever looking for pointers or someone to spar with hit me up on irc or in mumble. I don't recommend getting hung up in duels, take these guys advice and go out and look for a fight.. Do what you must to survive.
    Blaise likes this.
  16. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

I've personally had a hard time getting back into pvp this go around...

and it's certainly not because it's something I'm un-interested in (fighting another player > fighting AI every time; IMHO.).

But rather, fighting other folks is tedious. I can run around literally all day looking for a fight, and hardly find anything worth my while. I got into PVP becuse it was competitive.. it was challenging. These days there seem to be very few 'pvpers' left who are actually in it for the thrill of the fight. (Just my opinion of course)

With all of that said; if ANYONE is looking for some guidance in the PVP realm; hit me (utz on IRC) up ... at the very least; I'm all about it.
  17. ebola

ebola Well-Known Member

i would suggest, finding a group who actively pvp's and trying to join with them. if there taking in members they will definately teach u how to pvp, due to the fact that they wouldn't want a member "not knowing what to do" in pvp situations , cus u know as they say "a group is only as strong as there weakest member"
  18. smoke

smoke New Member

IRC Poorgirl , I will always fight who ever wants to. Rules/ no rules , loot/ no loot, slow to learn or balls out slugging match im game.
    Also im almost constantly running grey in high traffic areas and its a waiting game but ive had some great fights that way….
  19. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that me joining up with any of the current "groups" that have already tried to recruit me (including you guys) would not help the situation.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. ebola

ebola Well-Known Member

i was saying this in general, to anyone
    Mindless likes this.