Suggestion: Poisoning skill should benefit Dexxers

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by xXx, Sep 4, 2015.

1. xXx

xXx Active Member

If you have poisoning, it should increase the % chance your weapon swing will apply the DP. So a PvPer who uses the skill in their template has a more obvious benefit than just being able to reapply on the field. This change is active on other servers in this era, and it works great.

My 2 plats.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I was going to comment but suffered from an epileptic seizure brought on by your """ signature """.
  3. xXx

xXx Active Member

Working as intended.
    Tpain and AnRobot- like this.
  4. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Weapons already have a pretty high chance to apply poison with each swing. Do keep in mind that cure potions have no delay here and nox dexxers are not very efficient in field fighting, although they are survivable they are hard to finish people with, even with purple pots
    Tpain likes this.
  5. xXx

xXx Active Member

And if the application is say, 50% per swing. And having the skill gave you a 75% chance to apply, they would be more efficient. Without the alchemy boost it is hard for any dexxer to finish people off, so the more small buffs the better imo.
    eherruh likes this.
  6. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I'm not saying dexxers are inefficient because of their rate of applying poison, people can easily run from dexxers and chug pots to full health while you hit yourself with purple pots. Nothing is going to make dexxers viable vs stun mages. I don't say this as someone who doesn't play the template either, I have had great success with my nox dexxer, especially in 1v1 anything goes tournaments. But the success rate outside of a confined area is so bad I recently decided to re-roll poisoning off the template.
    eherruh and Tpain like this.
  7. xXx

xXx Active Member

Being able to reapply poison midfight isn't a good enough reason to have poisoning in a template imo. That's why it needs to be buffed.
  8. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Unless you plan on dropping 3+ weapons when you die it is.
    Tpain likes this.
  9. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Tbh, if you're wanting to field fight you don't want to be playing a dexxer regardless of skill set
    Tpain likes this.
  10. xXx

xXx Active Member

Point is, as it stands, there is no true reason to have poisoning on your pvp template. ESPECIALLY if you are only using cheap GM weapons. (carrying 3 exceptional weapons isn't exactly a pocket book breaker) If you are like me and only roll your dexxer with +20 power/vanq, then yeah.. reapplication mid fight is nice. But that is a very, very weak benefit. Being why it could use this buff without unbalancing existing Dexxer strength versus other dexxers or mages.

When you talk about a PvP change, the question is whether or not it will be balanced. That's it. (Not whether or not you should play the character in general lol.)

Just for the record, I have an insane amount of experience with nox dexxers on multiple servers so I am educated on the pros and cons of such a class in all scenarios. That is why I believe this change would be good for the server and the template. I'll take my Swords/Nox over your stun mage in a 10x10 duel arena anyday! hah

I am curious though what the current application rate (% per swing) for DP is ?
  11. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Well it seems you've already made up your mind, I suppose you weren't actually looking for the opinions of current pvpers. Do keep in mind that in 3 years you are the only one to complain about this issue.
    Tpain likes this.
  12. xXx

xXx Active Member

English isn't everyone's strong suit, so I'll give you a pass.

Suggesting isn't complaining. Actually the only one who has complained, has been you.

And your opinions were off topic, if you want to actually say something more helpful than "don't field with dexxers' .... feel free. But so far you have added nothing to this thread in the way of helpful or useful information.
    Baine, amfeKk and Joshius like this.
  13. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

With stackable cure potions, being able to reapply poison is more important here than it ever was in the UOR era. I have PKed people who literally carry 30+ greater cure potions. The ability to poison weapons on the run using Razor is already a very powerful ability for 100 skill points in an era where people can't heal through poison.
    eherruh and Tpain like this.
  14. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

I love playing my Dexxer with 93 poisoning..I really need to get off my ass and finish that up. I use it in PvM and just use greater poison pots. Its great against a casting mob.. They continually try to cure rather than cast on me. Even though I have 100 resist its quite nice. Ive held my own against a few PK's as well being able to reapply poison to my +25 Vanq Warfork…

That said I would like to see someone with 100 anatomy and the the poisoning skill to have a higher chance to poison someone. Such as with lumberjacking. Maybe it could be like this if the standard is a 50% chance with 0 skill.

Such as if you were GM in Poisoning and Anatomy you would only have a 10% chance to fail.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Tpain and xXx like this.
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

* stumbles while recovering from signature seizure *

Potion consumption using spell casting mechanics.

Include short casting/salute hybrid animation to sprite.
    User cannot move for x.x second(s).

Yes, I know I'm not one for game altering suggestions but neigh 3-4 days ago I pulled a GCure keg off someone.
    He/she was firing them off like candy from a pez dispenser.

16. xXx

xXx Active Member

Good ideas gentlemen.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Tpain likes this.
  18. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Been thinking about how this could work.

50+(anatomy skill+poisoning skill\3)\1.29=90.4 % chance on landing poison.

That would change a lot in PvP I think especially since you could repoison your weapon and keep them drinking those pots. I think most poisons last about 8 successful hit before you need to repoison. That could level the playing field quite a bit.
    Holden and xXx like this.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Until dexxers can call a target and watch it die after hitting a couple of keystrokes, the 'community' will never really give a shit about them in the field. Too much gear to risk and no way to 2,1,derp your opponents. Why risk weaponry when the most efficient way to kill someone is with a sack of reagents and a well timed partner casting?

That said, nox fencers are arguably the most lethal pvp melee template there is. No one runs from an LJ like they do from a DP warfork wielding noxxer. I would much much rather see improvement to nox mages, than nox melee characters. Give them better chances at DP casting and at LEAST a greater poison level on Poison Field, to name a couple options.

I do however think there needs to be a cool down on cure potions. Maybe not always, but perhaps only when the potion was successful. ie: You can chain chug until cured but then you have a 10s window where you can't hit one again, if you've been poisoned again. I dunno, would probably be OP but chain chugging is bleh.

I have 30 Poisoning on my LJ template so I can apply Lesser Poisons to my katana. I get 6 more charges than DP and with everyone packing a billion cure potions, the time wasted curing is what I'm after or potentially spell disruptions.

TL-DR: seems fine, let's fix nox mages instead.
  20. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I would like to see cure potions not stackable like purples. The only reason I don't carry 50 purple potions is because they aren't stackable. The same can't be said for people carrying stacks of cure potions based on the near 3000 murders I've committed on this shard.