Suggestions for the duel arena(s)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Pill, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Going to try to keep this pretty cut and dry and to the point:

• Banker available for ease of restocking purposes
    • Implementation of a simple 'Cooldown' Period post duel where recent duelers are unable to be attacked (5 seconds would be sufficient). This is in order to prevent players from seeing active duels via IRC and gathering a gank squad to wait at the duel arena until the duel is over in order to immediately gank and grief them. (Don't worry SL, horses would still be free game)
    • The ability to initiate a duel from anywhere in the world would be nice, but I have discussed this topic with Telamon and it is reliant on an arena "safe zone", which is probably a negative thing to implement.
    I was going to mention the topic of poisoning and resist, but in light of the data @elhorno provided (1k poison casts - ~66% success rate, I guess it is just random and seems excessive at the time).

If anyone has any other suggestions they can think of, post them here.

2. MrCandyMan

MrCandyMan Active Member

I like the first point 100%

The second one would be good as long as the player (post-duel) could not commit negative/beneficial acts on any target for the 5 seconds.

I'm not a fan of your third point. I say this because people could spam "i wish to duel" you to annoy/grief you.
  3. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think the easiest fix is allowing the duel pits in the event lobby to be used. Banker, stablemaster, and relatively safe to go afk there.

Undoubtedly there will be people saying that those that want to duel without any risk should just use test center. I can understand this argument but I don't agree with any "solution" that forces people off of the live server.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

UO:Renaissance is an Ultima Online free-shard, based on Renaissance era mechanics, without the influences of Trammel.

I think notoriety and felucca mechanics should apply wherever you go.

If you show up to a public place orange or red there should be a reasonable expectation that you might be attacked. I get it, it's lame to be attacked when you don't want to be. Telamon moved an orange and a red from the duel pit so they wouldn't get attacked last night. Maybe a year ago, or even two weeks ago I would have been surprised. No point in making a huff about it. You guys ask for a trammel server and you're getting one.

People asked for it back in 99 too.

So just to say my piece:

Assuming this is still a felucca server

No safe zones outside the young program
    No trammel or non combat/stealing events
    Felucca mechanics please
    Kane and garvey like this.
  5. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

inre to cynic

I actually don't think they should use TC. I think they should use places like wrong roof and jhelom farms and be prepared to deal with getting jumped - barring that they could go in a house and lock the doors too.

But again, I joined this server thinking UO:R era, felucca only, and so I hope for a direction of this server that preserves that. Whether it does or not, I'll try not to pitch a fit. It's just a game I suppose.

For what it's worth this obviously isn't the only server with partial felucca and partial trammel mechanics and safe zones and such. And I can't just hold Telamon to something he wrote when he conceptualized the server. But I do think that, like 15+ years ago, the developers are influenced by the crybabies and it will hurt the immersion and experience for everyone (even the crybabies.) Just talking to telamon a couple weeks ago he seemed to feel beat down by players threatening to quit over getting killed or threatening to quit if he didn't change things for them. But I think if we continue down that road we wake up in trammel in 2016.

Maybe the issue at hand is I haven't accepted this as a targetted trammel server yet. When it came to other safe areas and bottled/trammel things I hoped they were not going to become the norm. At this point all of the systems in development in the past few months have been in this direction. Maybe there needs to be someone with a feluccan voice that isn't public enemy number one. I wonder what Sandro or Matron would have to say.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Yea I think we all still want to see the same thing. I don't think you should be safe all the time but I also think that on such a small server with a low pop pvp base that you'd want to encourage those people who want to dip their toes into PvP instead of diving in head first. CTF, Duel Arenas, Fight Nights, etc.. Things like this encourage those wanting to learn to dip their feet in to give it a shot.

Dueling at the duel pits and having a scout call in a horde of enemies to kill you after your duel will probably make people want to use these areas less.

I asked the guys last night to allow SL to think that a GM moved them in order to get some of you riled up. At this point I think it's unfair to Telamon to continue with this farce so for the record: When they saw you guys show up they logged off and timed out. There was no GM involved.
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Also, I don't disagree with using areas like wrong roof or the farms. We were having 3v3's at Timbo's house not too long ago for kicks.

The arenas, however, keep track of W/L and, I guess, give people bragging rights.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Ok, I get it, I just assumed TBH. I knew they had tried to log out and that makes more sense. I just assumed after the event on the bridge a week or two ago. One guy was there and under attack and he disappeared the moment he was attacked.

I don't think it's a fair suggestion that we're out raping newbies all day, preventing them from getting involved in pvp, by the way. The guys we were hoping to attack were the most active no lifers in the pvp community currently. They were a red and an orange that consentually joined the faction scene. Blues could still use the Brit arena and expect the guards to save them. Although in truth, I no longer like the idea of the automated duels now that I see the slippery slope we are on.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I agree with the banker access and feel that Cynic's proposal to make the tournament duel pits accessible regularly is a good thing. Perhaps, in order to facilitate less of a targeted Trammel feel, the existing, and long defunct, tourney grounds outside Delucia could suffice? Leave the tournament grounds open to stealing and open world Felucca rulesets (as it has been since Beta) but anyone engaged in a duel, who declines a rematch, be transported safely and hidden to any of X number of locations in Delucia or Papua. Anything that can prevent people who are just here to cause grief, not actually find good mutual combat, from staging a trap for someone who wishes to engage in a gentlemanly duel. This would also make for a great place to setup player initiated tournaments in the open world. Not simply one-off duels.

While I understand that being here to cause grief is what makes Felucca for many players, I don't think that providing both alternatives removes anything from the shard. If knowing where people are dueling (Jhelom Pits, Wrong Roof) is essential for that Feluccan feel for anyone, they are still perfectly welcome to go there and duel.

Edit: I don't feel that ability to initiate a duel from anywhere is a good idea. That will provide far too easy an escape for players in the open world. One could very easily macro that and running around with a buddy, just poof to mini-Trammel far too easily. Not a great deal different than blessed runebooks and CY runes, but I imagine impossible to 'disrupt'.
  10. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

I think the main point is that duels are announced on IRC while they happen (sometimes delayed, sometimes almost instantaneous). Once seen, this gives a direct advantage to gank squads to come sit at the duel arena while you are trapped within the current duel and wait for the duel to be over to initiate an instant gank.

It is very similar to someone posting in IRC "Vendor at 'x' location with awesome rares super cheap!!" only to have a hidden gank squad waiting at the location. A simple cool down implementation post-duel, would completely rectify this issue.
  11. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I not trying to suggest you guys are out there taking out new players. However, the "no lifers" are the ones at the duel pits consistently dueling with anyone that wants to, from new players to veteran duelers. All's fair in war, last night was lame but it was fair under the rules of the server. No one complained to the management, we all laughed in mumble. Those two could have chosen to duel on top of a keep or fort without ever an issue but they chose to fight there in order to stimulate more people to the pits.

It's a small community, I think automated duels provide a social aspect to the game at an area all can congregate to interact and learn. This is really a niche aspect of the game and it really has no impact on other players. We can hold duels in a private home all day long and be 99% safe from any outside involvement. The point of using the arenas is for the ladder system and as a congregation point where all are invited.

The system wasn't designed to handle situations like last nights. I don't believe the staff designed the pits to essentially feed you to the wolves naked and defenseless.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Can't you make this same argument about someone who wants to dip their feet into PvM via some dragon-provoking in Destard?
  13. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

There are also ghosts and stagnant scout accounts parked there 24/7. The IRC announcement really isn't the biggest issue, although it contributes at times.
  14. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

And to be fair - on the flip side of that, this problem only exists in faction/order/chaos scenarios. I never bring a factioner to the pit anymore, however some people only have that one character available to them at the time.
  15. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Bank access I agree with.

I think we already have reasonable options/features in terms of avoiding being ganked post duel. Mainly, the ability to NOT bring an orange or murderer to duels. I often duel on my factioner and am fully aware that the wins/losses will be displayed in #uorpvp and that means ganks are likely. If the ganking becomes unbearable I would just duel on a blue and use Britain arena.

I personally prefer my factioner for dueling simply because I like putting all my duel statistics on 1 character.'

Plus, there is already a kind of player solution to these situations. It is socially such a reprehensible thing to do on this server that if someone wants to taint their reputation ganking people immediately following duels, that is their decision. They can enjoy being on a lot of peoples shit lists, gotta love uo for that.
    Mes likes this.
  16. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I don't know about you but I didn't learn how to PvM by jumping right into dragons. I didn't take my tamer out on my very first time on a tamer straight to shadow wyrms.

I think the new player dungeons and the young status help quite a bit in learning PvM. You can still go through the first couple levels of a dungeon and see new players farming things like harpies and earth elementals. Not many people jump right to bloods after leaving Wodans house.
  17. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've noticed, but new players aren't showing up to the forums or IRC complaining about their duels being interrupted. It's people that have been in consentual systems like factions for a year.

Maybe there should be a young program for pvp. Telamon can move a duel pit to occlo and you guys can join that program until you're acclimated to a felucca world.

By the way, its silly to phrase all your arguments as appeals to emotion because of what could happen to new players and how everything you don't like is griefing

Actually, I concede the topic. I know that Telamon will give you guys a safer duel pit because I've seen how he responds to whiners. He feels cornered and doesn't know what else to do to make you happy. No sarcasm intended - I'm sure it's a difficult cross to bear.
  18. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Wow, well it didn't take long for this thread to get to this point.

I gave my opinion. I hardly use the duel pits and thus I won't bother spending anymore time here.

You all can entertain Mes some more as he argues against yet another aspect of the game he never partakes in (unless he's griefing it).

Enjoy!
  19. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  20. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

I don't understand the slippery slope you are describing.

If Fek and I wanted to we could duel in our house ALL day... I promise. Instead we decide to make our activity ("as you describe it the most no-life pvpers there are") known... because we actually care about... you know... pvp.