Tailor BoD Reward Sandal Hue Chances

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Blaise, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There seems to be a glaring discrepancy in the rate of BoD sandal hue distribution. As can be seen http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_it ... emnum=170D there are, on average, 3 X more of any BoD hue sandal than 1235. Either this was intentional or something is seriously broken in the drop rate of 1235s.

No, I don't want the few pairs I have to be more valuable. I want more people to have purps!!!!
  2. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

I only ever get black or light bridal. Rarely shadow or dark blue.
  3. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

I've been turning bods over like crazy lately and I've gotten at least 10 pairs of light grey sandals and 1 dark grey. I've also gotten 3 dark green mask dyes in a row. I think it's broke.
  4. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I've gotten a bunch of 901, 902, and 916 (I think that number is right), a couple 1175, 1156, and several blacks. Never seen any 1235s. I got excited this morning when I thought a pair appeared, but they were 1175...

It is an oddity for sure.
  5. Barnicle

Barnicle Member

I wonder if it has to do with the type of leather. How many barbed footwear bods have you turned in? Personally, I haven't turned in anything other than spined. Just a thought.
  6. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Should that make a difference? I've done hundreds of cloth BoD's, and my experience is similar to Avery's.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I wonder if the 1235's don't drop at all from the BOD rewards, but those that exist were acquired elsewhere? I don't have my PhD in Sandal History yet, but given that neither I nor Pirul nor Rezon have ever got one, but have each gotten at least a dozen of scattered other colors, this seems like a possibility.
  8. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I guess if we're making a list, I also have never gotten purple bod sandals. I have gotten multiples of every other color available though.

Also like to mention I also think the mask dye color generator needs looked at. I turned in 3 large 20 ex spined bods last weekend and got 3 of the top tier shadow dyes right in a row. I would think the chances of that happening should be fairly low.
  9. Dalavar

I am 2-for-2 in getting those, but I think Pirul has pulled some different ones. So we can rule out it being keyed on the character I think.

I suppose it could be randomized based on the hour or minute of the day, if you turned all of them in within a very short timeframe. Or maybe it's random by shopkeeper; I.E. Wendy the Tailor in Britain always gives 1109. I think this is all unlikely though. Odds of getting 3 in a row, among 7 options, is 1 in 49. Rare, but not outrageously rare.
  10. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

keep them rare. thanks.
  11. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

I initially assumed that BOD rewards were awarded equally, but most likely not.

When you turn in a BOD and have a 20% chance to get 1 of 8 pair of sandals, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a 1/8 shot to get 1235s. You might only have a 1/50 shot at it, or less. It clearly seems that some hues are lower on the drop % and this applies to all there hued drops. I have never gotten ice white cloth either. Whether it has to do with the type of BOD being filled or not, I have no idea.

I am sure this was obvious to some already, but I still thought it was worth typing out. :D

I am fine with keeping all this stuff rare btw, as long as it is not bugged.
  12. Dalavar

How many of the other colors in that bucket have you received? I've only ever done like one or two, just curious what kind of sample size here.
  13. Dalavar

Also, if you look at the rewards matrix, you get the sandals in a few different ways. There's the 90/10 way, from 20xCloth and 20xLeather BODs. And then there's the 80/20 way, from the high-end smalls. I wonder if 1235's are only eligible to come from those 20% chances, but not the 10% chances.
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

There are a couple of items that seem to have a peculiar behaviour.

• Cloth: I have churned HUNDREDS of small cloth BoD's. In regards to "rare cloth" it seems to drop normally for me...might be a little skewed towards 1109 (2400+ yards) as opposed to the dark blue (1800 yards), but that might just be bad luck, or what not.
    • Sandals: These seem to be VERY much skewed towards 911's. When you get 16 911's, 4 pure blacks, 2 916's and 0 violets (as well as a fair distrbution of blues and dark greys, 4-5 of each)...well, then maybe the awarding mechanism might need looked at.
    • Bear Rugs: Are south facing rugs even awarded? Like really awarded? 7 polar bears looking E for 1 looking S does not strike me as even. Brown bears are only 4 E to 1 S (lol?)
    • Tapestries: Something similar applies in regards to darks and normals. Don't have enough to document, just that I have many darks and only 1 normal.
    • Special Mask Dye: I have had good luck. I have gotten a pretty varied array of dyes (1 1109, 1 green, 1 red and 2 blues). The 1109 and one of the blues were turned it almost together.
    • +5 Mining Gloves: I know most of them only have a 10% chance to be awarded, but really, I seem to have HORRIBLE luck with these. Even when I've turned in the BoD's that awarded them with a 50-50 chance I still get pick axes.

Now keep in mind that most BoD's I churn are small BoD's whose larges have horribad rewards, so maybe it does depend on the type of BoD turned in. (ie. most of my sandals come from 20 exc cloth small BoD's. Maybe if I turned in a 15 exc barbed small BoD I might get violet sandals)
  15. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

If this is the case, I'd suggest splitting sandals the same way rare cloth is split.
  16. Dalavar

That's wacky. I've received four 916's and only one 911.

Mathematically, given all these die rolls, we're bound to find some oddities, so it's really hard to separate the signal from the noise. (in terms of 2400 cloth versus 1800, that's almost certainly noise IMO, given that they come in groups of 80). The only consistent one seems that the 1235 sandals are just not appearing for anyone.
  17. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

This is something that happens so infrequently that going by personal anecdote has no base. If there is an issue with the drop rates of these items Telamon could simply run the code 100,000 times to verify, but "I got 3 <some hue> why isn't <some other hue> spawning?" isn't really valid reason for complaint.
  18. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I think snap is right.

Usually when I think there is a conspiracy against my skill gains or stone ore harvesting it ends up being a patch of bad luck.

Just pray to the gods of UO and keep trying :)
  19. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I got FS'd by a Lich Lord 4 times in a row once, to this day I swear it was Telamon messing with me.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

There is nothing to speculate about. The numbers are plain as day in the item DB. There are 80+ of EVERY BoD reward sandal, except for 1235 that stopped flat at 20 pairs some 6+ months ago, based on my best guess.

HateCrime, I hate you.

At the present drop rate, we're going to have more purple masks/dyes than sandals in about 3-6 months.