Tamer Template Suggestions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Bran, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Bran

Bran New Member

Hello all.

I've never created and worked on Animal Tamer character before. So I don't know much about the playstyle of Tamers. I need some advices and toughts about it.

If I am not mistaken classic tamer template is a Mage/Tamer.

However I didn't create a Mage/Tamer. For the sake of RP I created this.

Animal Taming 50
    Archery 50
    Animal Lore
    Veterinary
    Anatomy
    Tactics
    Healing (I changed this to Magery for Recall and Gate and Healing)

I do some research on it and it seems like it is not a viable tamer build. I like the idea of Ranger Tamer tough. However I had to choose magery to travel easily and it bugs me. Personally I would prefer tracking to make a real ranger :)

Anyways this idea may be child's dream so should I change it to a Mage/Tamer when I still have a time to make changes. Currently my taming skill is at 90s lore 100 and 55+ archery . I actually don't want the best tamer template here but asking if this pvm archer ranger tamer template would do ok or not. Thanks for the answers in advance :)
    newme likes this.
  2. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

This is what you can do (from a tamer-dexxer)

A Taming
    A Lore
    Archery
    90 Magery (100% casting gate with scrolls)
    80 Anatomy
    80 Tactics
    80 Veterinary (Enough to res and with 100 dex, you can heal in 3 seconds, rather than 4 seconds mage do, because you're faster, you'll heal more than a regular tamer mage)
    70 tracking (Expert Ranger title for your Ranger-ness)

With this build you're quite good at tracking, shooting stuff and controlling 2 dragons and a mare. If you are like @Keza because they have an archer tamer here with controlling lot of frenzieds, you can drop taming a bit and add to others.

Statwise go 90-80-55, drink agility to 100 for that sweet 3 second healing with veterinary.

In terms of power: It would be probably better than most tamer templates because instead of 2 dragons and a mare, you are also providing firepower. However, bolts & arrows are expensive. A rebuttal, if you like RP, you shouldn't really care about how much an arrow costs though. I think potentially I could be the highest dps on the shard with a slayer weapon, a mare and 2 dragons. So could you. But you have very little defensive skills, so if a PK comes in, you can be in trouble. I will leave that to someone else.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    newme, Jack of Shadows and Bran like this.
  3. Plankton

Plankton Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Animal Taming
    Animal Lore
    Veterinary
    Magery
    Meditation
    Musicianship
    Provoke
    newme, MikeK and Bran like this.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Tamer-dexxers are SO fun to play, plus incredibly powerful due to the 90-100 dex making vets super quick, plus the extra dmg of your weapons.
    Vincent Blackshadow, newme and Bran like this.
  5. Bran

Bran New Member

Wow this is quite a good template for my taste. Thank you Nymeros:) I was thinking so much but couldn't figure out how to put tracking in there. I guess 80 anat and tactics is enough to give some extra damage. It is really good to have 70 tracking I am so happy right now lol :D

Plankton I thought about using provoking but then it seems to me a little bit defensless against PKs. Not having 100% magic damage hmm I dont know I really dont feel comfortable with provo mage tamer. Correct me if I am wrong about this because I am not an expert on this :D

By the way does vet skill heals humans too?
    newme likes this.
  6. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Hmm, PVP too? I dunno. Best defense is a quick getaway!
    newme and Bran like this.
  7. Bran

Bran New Member

Oh no I didn't mean to do pvp I just want to give some good damage and have time to prepare for escape :) You are right about the best defence is a quick gateaway I agree with that :D
    newme likes this.
  8. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I also run several Dexxer-tamers, great damage and play style.

I either go full dexxer with 100/100/25 and use another character to gate pets around. Or I run 85/100/40 with 55 magery and use gate scrolls with a 80ish% success rate.
    newme likes this.
  9. Bran

Bran New Member

Yeah @Keza 55 magery should be enough cuz Im just adding it to recall gate and heal and going 85/100/40 is good for me because I don't like balanced stats. Yeah it looks like a decent build now thanks everyone :)
  10. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Hey Bran Welcome to UOR!

My favorite build would probably be 7x provo tamer like Plankton mentioned above. Tamer dexxers are a ton of fun though!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    newme and Bran like this.
  11. Bran

Bran New Member

Thank you for advice @Andersonius :) I am going with the @Nymeros 's template right now. But I'm thinking to create another one and make it provo mage or provo tamer.
    newme likes this.
  12. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Taming
    Lore
    Vet
    Magery
    Meditation
    Stealing
    Snooping

You'll find it to be very profitable.
    The Crooked Warden, newme and Bran like this.
  13. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I prefer my fall down tamer...

Magery
    Taming
    Lore
    Vet
    Music
    Provo
    Disco

It all depends on your style, though.
    Fullmetal and newme like this.
  14. Por Corp Wis

Por Corp Wis Well-Known Member

No med? I guess you exclusively use bandages? After you gate your pets you are at a major mana deficit esp if you perform 2 gates in close time frame to each other.

I could see how it would work well with regards to farming either groups or solo mobs but do u find it cumbersome on a daily usage basis to have no med at all?

Heck even taming without med would be a huge pain. Mana is my personal #1 limiting factor to taming unless I get my prey stuck like dragons on the wind stairs/etc.....Para and parafield as well as Gheal are hella draining!
    newme likes this.
  15. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I've always been of the opinion that if I need lots of mana all the time, i'm probably doing something wrong...and that goes for any character class. Regardless, I can certainly use an ALT for gating around. :eek:

I did call him a fall-down tamer for a reason. He doesn't put up much of a fight for anything outside of farming. ;)

He's there to farm and nothing else. He makes a lot of money doing it.
  16. Tank Jones

Tank Jones Member

I was going for:

magery, med, eval, resist, taming, lore, vet.

I actually am at 100 resist right now.

Should I drop eval/resist, and take music/provo? It makes me feel sick to realize I wasted time getting resist up!

Thanks in advance guys
    newme likes this.
  17. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

What's the character for?

The answer to that is the answer to your question.
    newme likes this.
  18. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

To summarise what's going on and what should happen. This post assumes you're not a RPer, because RPers like me like to have "inefficient" templates that are not effective as a power gamer template. If you're a RPer you should NOT be following any template and just play what your heart desires, i.e. @Alice Asteroid who plays a peace-tailor-mage, or @Athena who is a tamer-cook, and myself who is a fencer who believes can talk to dragons.

The following skills are a must for any tamer;

Animal Taming
    Animal Lore
    Veterinary

you have to get them to 100. No negotiations.

Now after this comes your first dilemma. Do you want to gate your pets yourself? Or you have a taxi char to do this for you? If you want to gate, you need 90 magery minimum to gate 100% with scrolls. Obviously a gate costs 40 mana, so you want to be able to recover it at a decent pace. You need at least 70-80 meditation for this. Some people just don't bother and get 100 in both. Assuming you don't, you have at most 30 skill points to be able to use on something else, or get both these skills to perfection.

Now is the real deal and set of questions you need to ask yourself. What do you want your tamer to be? A farmer? Mostly people say yes, so I will only drill down on this route.

Do you like fighting with weapons? If you do, you need to pickup a warrior skill and either tactics or anatomy depending on your preference of DPS versus special hits (parablow etc).

Do you want to crowd control? If you do, you need to pickup musicianship and peacemaking.

Do you want to help your dragons a bit and create a bit of PvE chaos yourself? If you do, you need to pickup musicianship and provocation.

Do you want to farm big mobs that are so strong that you might not be able to solo them with your 2 dragons + mare? If you do, you need to pickup discordance and musicianship.

Do you want to be PK-averse? If you do, you pickup either "Resisting Spells" (for spell damage) or "Wrestling" (to neutralise stun mages a bit). Another option is Hiding, where you can hide between your dragons or something like that, but this is rarely used.

I hope this helps, but it's mostly around what you want your tamer to become. Answering these questions will lead you to your template.
    newme and Alice Asteroid like this.
  19. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Lately I've been pretty proud of my wholly ineffective Spirit Speaking Tank Scribe Mage.
    newme, wylwrk, Vlar and 1 other person like this.
  20. Corporeal

Corporeal Member

I have been reading around the forums and would really like to pick up a tamer/dexer template with my own little spin to it. Could someone be so helpful and look over my template and give me cons/pros/advice about it please?

GM Taming
    GM ALore
    GM Archery
    90 Magery
    40 Anatomy (10% special hit) (I don't think makes a difference with vet right ?)
    80 Tactics (More DPS)
    80 Veterinary (Can still res/heal pets)
    60 Meditation (Low Mana Pool, would be nice to regen some better than none?)
    50 Resisting Spells (What is formula on this? Looking at more protection from pvm/pks)

Stats 88-80-57

Would greatly appreciate it.
    newme likes this.