Taming bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Autolycus, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Autolycus

Autolycus New Member

When you knock down the health of animals so they move slower to tame them,they move slow until you start trying to tame them,as long as you get the message "you anger the beast" the animal moves as fast as an undamaged animal.
  2. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

You are correct, however I am not entirely sure this is a bug. The act of "failing" to initiate the taming process on an animal incites a movement command for them in the code. If you are using razor to spam the taming skill on a creature which can be angered, continuous failures would result in the creature moving extremely fast. The creature's movement speed is relative to its current health remaining, however when this happens in repetition it will trigger excessive movement commands which basically override its slow movement speed due to low health.
  3. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

IMO this is still a bug.

I get why it works the way it works, but it still feels unnatural and is inachronistic.
  4. Phyze

Phyze Member

It would make sense that if you are angering the beast, it would try harder to attack you - regardless of health. JUST LIKE REAL LIFE RITE

Just because you can spam the taming skill with razor invoking the movement command doesn't mean this is a bug. Personally, I think there should be longer skill cooldown upon receiving the anger message and overall reduced anger messages.
  5. Liberation

If someone is attacking you, they're probably exerting the maximum amount of energy trying to kill you. Why would they suddenly get even more energy? How is a dragon with 2hp able to travel beyond full player running speed?

If folks are going to use the "it isn't logical argument" in the Locked Chest thread, where are they in this thread? :p
  6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. Liberation

Gideon,

A reasonable and logical process for making decisions on game mechanics in the context of this server follows:

0) Install RunUO base
    1) Complete corrections to code according to OSI UO:R mechanics
    2) Identify bugs, inconsistencies or ideal modifications within the OSI UO:R mechanics
    3) Make changes to the OSI UO:R mechanics according to #2

Note step #1.

Gideon, if you don't care then that's cool. I just want to help you understand why this (and inconsistencies like this) are a problem. It is this attention to detail that can _help_ to separate just another PRS from a truly pristine game.

People will come here expecting a UO:R base that has been built upon and improved. When you have aspects of the game that are just accidentally and randomly different from UO:R, then that is sloppy. There's no good reason to defend it, other than perhaps having more important things to focus on. The least that can be done, though, is to acknowledge that it's basically wrong.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

While I agree for the most part, the 'second wind' condition of an angered and injured beast is a logical function as well, to a degree. I would be more inclined to suggest that the result of the "angered speed boost", is limited or restricted to a 1:50 or 1:100 chance.

Phyze's point regarding Razor spamming is definitely a good one. In any regard, taming dragons and wyrms should not get easier in my opinion. If nerfing the anger boost is desired, then what balancing factor can be implemented to keep the process difficult?

As the most profitable class in the game, it should be incredibly challenging to tame dragons and wyrms. Not only because it is the most profitable, but because dragons and wyrms should be damn near impossible to train anyway.
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  10. Phyze

Phyze Member

I think Blaise is right on, perhaps a chance to invoke the speed but I don't think this is wrong. Most people probably don't even notice it as para and para fields go down when taming anyways. While there is no good reason to defend it, I see no real reason to advocate it either other than it being sloppy. Then if it's case of being sloppy, your locked box thread would be sloppy if you could manipulate objects in pouch from a locked chests in my opinion.
  11. pdodd

pdodd New Member

More flies gathered with honey, as they say :)
  12. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

I just started taming here, Tamed my first mare yesterday. Used peace and angered the beast upon taming attempt. Was as fun as fighting a red! Took me 20 mins to tame him with 97 skill, all the while hoping someone didnt turn up and hoping i didnt run out of regs, was the best time Ive had on this server. Its perfect, change nothing. For a real challenge try it with a torch in one hand with a dress macro in the dark. wow...to all those who play with the light filter are missing 85% of the game.

We need a lantern that hangs on your belt, just use a slot for kilt or sash. Now thats a bug fix!
    Blaise likes this.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

A magical glowing ring (newbied) perhaps as a platinum reward? It serves only to delight the RP community and has 0 impact on mechanics. :)