Taming cant be this hard, is it?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Mike Oxwells, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Mike Oxwells

Mike Oxwells Active Member

Sitting at 62.0 taming on Dagger Isle taming Snow Leopards and havnt had a skill gain in HOURS and im actively doing this. Seriously? At 62?

Am I doing it wrong?
  2. shopshopshop

shopshopshop Active Member

You might be taming the same animals over and over, which you can't gain from, or trying to tame animals that were already tamed and released, which have a higher skill requirement to tame.
    One likes this.
  3. Mike Oxwells

No Im renaming the animals.

Sigh.
  4. Mike Oxwells

If you see "abagofdicks" on dagger isle, thats my once tamed animals.

Whole damn island will be populated with em. This is silly, really.
    Cheapsuit and One like this.
  5. Rextacy

Rextacy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Tame them and kill him off... Just have the jaguars n wolves attack the polar bears . No need to rename them.

Some people tame them and release them right away without renaming to. If your taming something and not getting a gain or your not able to tame it move on to the next one.
  6. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You're on the tail end of the taming bracket for snow leopards. Min taming for them is 53.1 and you're 9 points ahead which drastically reduces skill gain. It'll be a struggle until you get to white wolves at 65.1.

2 hours without a gain is still uncommon but it does happen. This is when people benefit from having a friend or having an alt to do retames off of but i know not everybody has that oppurtunity of wants a second tamer.
    Erza Scarlet likes this.
  7. Mike Oxwells

It picked up a little right after i started complaining, lol. Still slow but not zero
  8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I miss UO so much.
    Althorn and One like this.
  9. AnRobot-

AnRobot- Active Member

I trained taming a different way. Made things so much easier than dagger isle, but I wasn't in a big hurry either.

STEP IV (a) Keep Grinding at the Desert and Swamp
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend that you keep grinding out gains at the Desert and the Swamp. Those are by far the easiest places to drag large amounts of tameable creatures for your tamer to semi afk tame using the simple macro I posted above. I recommend using this method Until about 67.0 - 70.0 Displayed Animal Taming Skill at which point I recommend that the Rhodesian Tamer go boost his strength by 20-50 points. Basically you want to push your strength up so that your displayed Taming skill equals 71.1

Source: http://uorforum.com/threads/mutombos-rhodesian-tamers-guide.400/
  10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

I also once felt how you felt. So much so I made a video about it.

What you are experiencing is what hundreds of other Tamers before you have experienced and is what hundreds of Tamers in the future will also experience.

Keep on grinding. You're almost there.
    Woobie, Medieval Name, wylwrk and 3 others like this.
  11. Por Corp Wis

Por Corp Wis Well-Known Member

@Sheepdog how do u make your failed taming message red? Mine is always grey. What razor setting is that?
  12. Sheepdog

In razor - go to the options tab - then the second bar down says razor message hue and next to that a clickable box that says set, click that and it gives you the option to select in game with the classic dye tub options - select your colour and hey presto.

I've since changed it to orange as it stands out more and isn't the same colour as the attack alert.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  14. Por Corp Wis

Por Corp Wis Well-Known Member

Thx man much appreciated.
  15. Dr Satan

Dr Satan Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't rename their tames. You probably are stuck on taming something you have 0% chance to gain on. If the snow Leopard has been tamed twice it would be 65.1 skill required by the time you get to it and being 62 the game will still let you try but you'll just try forever with no chance to gain.

if you don't get a gain in 5-7 minutes and haven't tamed that creature yet, kill it and move on.
    Sheepdog likes this.
  16. Sheepdog

What I like to do is tame until I'm maxed out on followers and get them to guard me, when I find another critter I release one and tame the fresh one, if it's one that someone has tamed and I'm not gaining I'd SICK my sweet walrus pack on them.

This also works well for keeping yourself out of trouble with all the nasties on dagger like ice snakes, trolls and elementals as your sweet walrus pack, guarding you, will roll deep on the spawn and all die. Because there walrus and they suck.
  17. Soulman

Soulman New Member

If you have a second account to use I would use this guide. I used it from 50 to GM and I want to say it took a week max and just played another character while it was training.
  18. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Fresh newbie tamer? I used to go ahead and GM herding along with a secondary skill on the first night. I ran a herd to self by type macro along with taming. This trivialized non aggressive type mob training. Once full or near it I found a mob to sent them to die on like a,snow elemental or w/e.

If you think you'll ever have more than one tamer, do it now.
    One and Hollywood like this.
  19. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I usually just made a macro for taming and made char auto follow animal im training off of. If i ran across frost troll, snow elemental i would just have trained animals attack so new ones would spawn. Once i got to max followers i would generally know where the bad monsters were located and do my best to stick around those areas.

Like wylwrk mentioned, if you think you're gonna make another tamer eventually, do it now.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    One and wylwrk like this.