Taming ideas

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Pruslas, Oct 9, 2017.

UOR needs more tamable pets

Poll closed Nov 8, 2017.
  1. YES!

66.7%
  2. NAAAH

33.3%
  1. Pruslas

Pruslas Member

Hey guys,

I have been a part of UOR community for a little while now and I've been thinking how limited the type of mounts non-tamer characters can have. To give people more options and to make the place look more colorful I have a few ideas I wanted to put out here for discussion.

I personally played in numerous different shards and most of them have a ton of different mounts anybody and everybody can have. Most of the time the colors and the type of mounts people can have are either really bad looking or it makes absolutely no sense (weird bugs, scorpions things of this sort). There are mounts already present in UOR here that really cool but are not tamable such as Kii'rin and Unicorn. I was thinking maybe these could be tamed after a boss/champion fight or something and could be owned by non-tamer characters as well, which would end up encouraging people to do these world events. ( Maybe there could be a random drop from these encounters that make the Kii'rin or Unicorn tamable?).

How about some more common horses, like shires or mustangs. These would not have much more hp or attack damage like nightmares do, but they would just look cool. These could be a bit redder, bluer etc. than the normal horse but it would make the areas that are rarely visited in the world a bit more intriguing giving people a reason to go to these places and explore the world map.

There could also be different colored desert ostards ( a dark desert ostard that spawns in a random desert area thats surrounded by more challenging mobs for instance.), llamas ( again, could be surrounded by certain npc enemies that make the whole encounter more challenging and rewarding).

I have also not seen enough alchemists around, maybe alchemy skill could be more useful and on demand if they could make shrink potions. A shrink potion would be a potion you give to your pets and they would shrink to fit in npc vendors backpack. That way you could sell pets without being present in the game. Just place them in player vendors backpack, when they are purchased, they just rescale and appear in the game, all you have to do is to get them to a stable.

What do you guys think?
    -p
    One and Keza like this.
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

There could be a few more tamable options yes. However most people are just too fast to jump on the dragons+mare bandwagon and miss everything in between. If you explore the existing world of tames, you might be surprised at how many effective options there are.

You may want to see my thread on the DPS challenge. Also linked some videos below of a few awesome tames in-action.

Frenzied Ostards

Good Polar Bears

Scorpions
  3. Pruslas

Pruslas Member

Hey Keza,
    Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate the time you put in your own thread discussing different options when it comes to PvM. It is really useful stuff. My take on this is quite different tho. I want to see non-tamer characters being able to access different mounts either for cosmetic purposes or anything they see fit. Currently they can not even have frenzied ostards if I am not wrong. Briefly I wanted to discuss enabling everybody to take a part in owning/trading different mounts. Maybe dragons and mares could only be a tamer character only pets/mounts but these lower tier pets that deal less damage are for everyone?
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'd sell my soul and main a tamer for silver serpent's being tameable.
    Orion GM BD, crazydaze, One and 5 others like this.
  5. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

^ that would at least make them useful for something.
  6. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

you mean you haven't lured a couple of silver serpents to someones house for them to recall into and die a horrible death....?
    Orion GM BD, Sheepdog and Jill Stihl like this.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

tameable Headless plz

EDIT: with pack instinct
    One and Black Tortoise like this.
  8. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

I want to ride a snake! Or maybe surf/skateboard it would be more accurate.
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

Be very, very careful with this basis. Many shards have gone down a non recoverable, dark path with the idea of making it "more colorful". Or one could say, "a blindingly bright neon path," if you catch my drift ;).

I agree, such things would be a terrible eye sore.

I could get down with that. Ever since OSI, Ive wondered why anyone with a chunk of gold can get a Nightmare to ride, but zero players can ride a Unicorn. I dont want one for myself, I am a Nightmare kinda guy, but still, I think there should also be rideable Unicorns (not limited to GM tamers).

Id get behind this!

Thats cuz theyre all macroing in their houses! :p

Also, I dunno about the shrink potion. Just a sense of cautiousness regarding the effect on the economy and in game experience. Alchemists already got their work cut out with them with the potions minigame of PvP.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  10. Pruslas

Pruslas Member

You are absolutely right. This is why I said, it looks either terrible or makes no sense :).
    I would not want UOR to become a server where everybody is riding an iridescent insect, or a silly looking, glowing ice mount etc. It is great the way it is, I just feel the lack of variety, especially for non-tamer toons.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

I am 100% in favor of new horse/ostard/llama etc hues. Who doesn't want a green frenzy named Yoshi?

In regards to unicorns/ Kirin, that might be a tough sale. As I remember unicorns were only tameable/rideable by females. And kirins had some mechanic that they would heal the owner.

But in general, yes please for more tamebles.
  12. Pruslas

Pruslas Member

I do not see why this is a reason for it to be a tough sale. I think this kind of stuff is great, makes it accessible but puts a layer of complication on top if it which is how it should be in my opinion. And let's be honest, we all love cosmetic stuff, people were racing to buy anniversary stuff a month ago, just different hues in the end, I do not see why having a few more horses, a couple more llamas and ostards would not bring a fresh look to the way we trade animals. Again, the idea is to include everybody in this, not only the tamers.

I am really curious to find out what UOR staff thinks about this...
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  13. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

I agree completely.

I only meant a tough sale in the sense of the general resistance to adding out of era mechanics and such.

Personally, I'm in favor of new natural colored hues. There was a thread on adding new hue options to dragons, greens, blues, new reds etc. I don't think it got much traction.
  14. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'm not putting myself in opposition of your idea here but I myself am very careful to say " everyone will… "

Add unicorns kirins and flaming beetles to the server and there will be a goddamn riot on your hands. Oh and there will be blood a lot of blood.

Did you see what happened with the added two special hued crystals to the game? People lost their freaking minds.
    One likes this.
  15. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

^ exactly my point.
  16. Black Tortoise

+1

well, mostly, I mean, I dont wanna get all lawyer on it, but "kind of stuff" could be a tricky grey area. Only female avatars get to ride a unicorn and dont need taming ability to ride a purchased one from another player? Ok :). New mounts that heal you? Nope. Natural hued ostard additions? Cool!

Id personally like to see more people on polar bears, lol. I only ever see it in videos or screen shots, Ive yet to see anyone actually riding one around in the game. Sometimes I see an ostard. Its almost always ethys, mares, llamas, horse. Id love to see someone riding a bull around town!
  17. Pruslas

Pruslas Member

In each and every post I said the same thing, nobody is asking for flaming beetles and silly, unnatural looking mounts. We have these mounts in the game here in UOR already. They are just not tamable. I do not understand why. The idea here is to make it difficult so they can not be tamed just like that. And once they are, they could be accessible to people that are not tamers. Again, no flaming beetles, ice horses, weird looking reds, yellows and oddities. Just a few more hues in terms of horses, we can call them mustangs, shires whatever. A few more hues to llamas, a few more hues to desert ostards. Hues, meaning, natural colors in this case. No glowing green horses, but a saturated brown mustang maybe if that makes sense. Maybe a dark desert ostard instead of only brown. Somebody said maybe a green desert ostard, why not? It is a lizard looking creature in the end, maybe it could be a nice addition we could call bog ostard...
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  18. Pruslas

Pruslas Member

It absolutely is!
    There will clearly be differences between what people like and what they do not. That is why I wanted to put this up here so we can discuss it. At the end of the day it'll be the staff deciding if this is feasible or not, if it is, what kind of new mounts will be available. Discussing the outlines would never hurt tho I think.

And again, it would be awesome to hear opinions from UOR staff. Anyone?
  19. Black Tortoise

They/He probably a bit busy, theres been a lot going on as of late!
  20. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Dalavar likes this.