Teleport

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Lightshade, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Teleport should be able to teleport through floors in certain instances. I won't go into the details, but it could use some fixing. Basically, there's many spots in the game that we should be able to gain access to, but are unable due to teleport not working correctly.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I would like you to go into details. If you mean teleport onto bank roof tops and the like, with the use of a Last Target key, and standing inside, I do not agree at all.
    There should be no way to teleport somewhere without direct line of sight, in my opinion.

On topic, I also feel you should not be able to teleport through the walls in that one dungeon room.

I don't get much support on 'logical' function around here though, so meh.
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

The default runuo line of sight is just so different from UO's. I would like to just see the "log in on a item, get pushed up a floor" mechanic in place as it should be, to make more interesting places accessable. At least until LOS is reworked to be like it was, if it's even worth bothering with.
    Jupiter likes this.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure that implementing bugs would be considered appropriate. LoS should be corrected as one would expect it to work, but allowing table-bumping? Hahah, pass.

The fact that various 'cool' things were possible by exploiting them in era, is absolutely no reason to implement them here.
  5. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

What problem does table bumping cause? You can't use it to get into houses(okay public houses, but you could just not allow that for obvious reasons), you can't use it in combat or anything since it requires you to log, and timeout. It just lets you explore the map with more freedom.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

There is nothing you need to access in areas of the map you cannot already access normally. There is absolutely no reason to implement mechanics that only suit....shit...

Ok, I just broke my train of thought realizing that while I did indeed spend my time in Britannia, a la Black Gate, I never in the day used the crates to access the easter egg room in Trinsic.

I suppose, given the lore, which even plays into the era mechanical failures, I would not be opposed to seeing this possible in areas where it could not possibly be exploited in a way that negatively impacts the play of others or the shard itself. So, basically short of it being used to access some 'neat' areas that are perhaps just hard to get to for newbs, I see it as pointless to implement.
  7. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

You are simply wrong.

There are all sorts of hidden rooms buried within the map that are very much a part of UO's history that are inaccessible to players unless a Staff member gives them a rune. That is not how access to those spots was attained in era.

As it is, these secret rooms are only able to be entered by someone that was lucky enough to be given a rune by a Staff Member. This is completely unfair to the regular playerbase. Its one thing to figure out how to get into a secret room by using the game's mechanics and its another to have been selectively allowed into a room that other players have no ability to get into without that 'lucky' player allowing them access.

Fix the mechanic or delete the runes. Its really quite simple.

NOTE: For the record, I am not talking about teleporting into anyone's houses.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Why? It is just as simple to leave it as is and remove runes on a case of abuse basis if/when possible. Same thing happened to some of the GA runes that have been around and they were not created by admins.
    In fact, I don't know of any specific places on this shard that players have access to simply because administration handed it to them. I'd actually have trouble believing they would do so in any regard.

Hidden rooms 'buried' in the map are just not put to use and if there is nothing in them or no purpose to be in them, there is literally no purpose to implement the bugs you would have used to get to them. I have/had the Serp's bank wall runes since Zagyg left me his books but I don't use them or care for them at all. I guess that's just me being stubborn and logical but perhaps if you could cite any reasonable example of why one might need to access hidden areas with nothing in them, I'd be happy to hear it. Otherwise it just sounds like you're looking for pockets of Trammel in a Feluccian world. :p

No error-accuracy please. Just because historically someone exploited a bug to access an area that was not technically intended to be accessed, does not in any way mean it should exist here.
  9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This is a known issue and has been on the fix list for a while, however it is one of the fixes that done incorrectly can have drastic consequences. As with any line of sight change bad things can happen in unexpected ways. A few house looting, break in bugs from other servers come to mind when they attempted to address issues like this in the past.

ETA: This is currently listed as low priority issue as it affects very few players. Bugs such as this will get lumped into a larger review of similar systems so our work is focused and testing can be done all at once. For instance I have almost 50 projects related to crafting at the moment, and they will all be addressed in a single patch so that the staff can properly test them. Currently we have 3-4 issues related to teleporting and line of sight that are slated to be addressed together. And I suspect by the time i look into it, there will be 3-4 more.

As for how runes exist to these places, for about a month a teleporter was placed inside the britain, moonglow and nujelm banks allowing players to discover a way on top of the bank. This was more a temporary solution while we worked on the problems with the stealing mechanics so players could recall into a classical safe location. After a few weeks, the teleporters were removed, although occasionally we would move one back.

The teleporter on top of the Nu'jelm bank for instance still exists if you look hard enough.
  10. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I think a better question is 'why not?' Who cares if it has no purpose? There are plenty of things in this game that have no purpose. That doesn't mean those things shouldn't be here.
    Iago likes this.
  11. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Giving players as many aspects of UO that they remember from 1999/2000 all go to enhance the experience and give you that nostalgia feeling. Of course we wont re-create bugs just because they existed, but we will take the time to careful craft the world, even the trivial aspects.
    Madraolc likes this.