The BOD Game

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Gideon Jura, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

[​IMG]

THE BOD GAME
    By Gideon Jura

[​IMG]

INTRODUCTION
    Might want to brew yourself up a nice cup of coffee because you’ll need it – and you’ll need the practice!

The BOD Game will certainly keep you busy and you’ll likely be brewing up a fresh pot when you get home from work to prepare yourself for cranking the bellows of that forge or working that spinning wheel.

[​IMG]

At the most basic level, a BOD (Bulk Order Deed) is simply a crafter quest.

For example, as shown below, this Small BOD requires you to craft 20 leather caps of exceptional quality out of spined leather. Once you’ve filled the Small BOD you can simply turn it into any tailor (drop onto them) and receive the associated reward (in this case about 800 gold and some semi rare hue cloth or sandals).

[​IMG]

These quests range from trivial (as in the above example), to incredibly complex, as shown in this example below.

[​IMG]

The BOD above is a Large BOD (it is being shown in a BOD book). This is more like a puzzle. You need to find all 6 of the associated Small BODs and fill them. Next, you fill the Large BOD with those filled Small BODs. See the diagram below which illustrates the process.

[​IMG]

The specific Large BOD above could take a long time to fill - not because it takes a long time to craft golden plate armor, but rather, it is the process of acquiring the specific puzzle pieces (between the Large BOD and its corresponding Small BODs) to complete the “set,” that presents the challenge.

This challenge means that while BODs are simply crafter quests, The BOD Game (tm) is something much larger – it is an entire system of quests. Some would even call it a lifestyle. Maybe even an addiction. For your spouse, the best name to give it is probably just crafter quest or puzzle - no need to worry them!

The rewards make the struggle worthwhile, however. In the case of the Large BOD above, one receives 100,000 gold and a phoenix armor deed - worth quite a bit of gold on the player market. Or better yet, as a sweet wearable for your character!

[​IMG]

BOD rewards like Braziers and Standing Armor shown above can make for a dramatic entrance!

SUMMARIZING THE GAME
    The Game can therefore be seen extremely simply as trying to acquire as many puzzle pieces as quickly as possible, matching up sets, and completing those sets to generate rewards.

[​IMG]

Some sets take longer than others so the process ends up looking something like the picture below which shows several months of progression on many different sets simultaneously.

[​IMG]

You can see that from beginning a particular set to completion can vary from mere days to months or years and the value of the reward reflects that timeframe. This means that BODs can provide both short term fun and profit, as well as a long term endgame in terms of Special Mask Dyes, Standing Armors, and Runic Hammers.

While the above summary should help give you an overview of the process, The Game is complex.

This guide will have a lot of information. To better facilitate that information, I’ve split the guide into the 6 specific stages of The Game:

The diagram below illustrates the 6 stages of the process and how they flow together.

[​IMG]

Mastering The Game requires understanding and optimizing each stage – so let’s get started!
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    gitchu1000, compsays, eherruh and 5 others like this.
  2. Gideon Jura

PART I: THE PULL

To pull a BOD, simply approach the appropriate NPC type with the appropriate skill and skill level (70.1 real) as shown in the chart below, and say “order status”.

order status.png

UO:Renaissance currently has both Tailoring and Blacksmithing BODs. Hopefully in the future we see an expansion of the BOD system. This guide focuses on those two and will be expanded when needed.

Once you’ve pulled your first BOD, you’re on your way. You’ll notice right away that you cannot pull another BOD of that same type for 6 hours. As with most games, this 6 hour timer is often referred to as a "cooldown," meaning, you have to wait 6 hours until your cooldown is over and you can request another BOD.

offer.png

You can get around this cooldown by completing and turning in a BOD.

This will reset your cooldown and allow you to immediately pull another BOD. We’ll discuss that more under PART V: THE FLIP.

The 6 hour cooldown is specifically for that account and that BOD type. This means your crafter can go pull a tailoring and smithing BOD every 6 hours, but no more. Putting multiple crafters on a single account won’t work. However, you can spread 3 crafters across your 3 accounts to maximize your pulling.

If you just pulled your first BOD at the minimum skill required (70.1 real), you might also notice that it is a small BOD. You might also notice that it is most likely of the basic resource type (iron for blacksmithing and cloth or leather for tailoring).

This brings us to this chart below which shows the skill levels at which each type of BOD become available while pulling. Large BODs and higher level resources produce better rewards but only become available with higher skill.

chart1.png

Essential Learning:
    For the sake of not confusing anything, we can jump straight to the essential learning to take away from the above information.
    • Pulling BODs is the bread and butter of building a BOD collection. As such, you want to be pulling as many BODs as often as possible.
    • You will want to get to Grandmaster (100.0) in both tailoring and blacksmithing as quickly as possible to pull the highest quality BODs.
    • Optimally, you should have one crafter on each of your three accounts. Yes, that means you need 3 GM crafters. Personally, I leveled my 3 crafters to 70.1 tailoring one by one, started pulling BODs, and then made the push to GM one by one. I repeated with blacksmithing as the funds became available. By the time all three characters were complete, I already had a sizable collection.
    • If you are optimizing your BOD cooldowns, you will be pulling 3 to 4 times a day with 3 different characters. This will net you 9 to 12 tailoring and 9 to 12 blacksmithing BODs per day.
    Bonus Mini-Guide: Leveling Tailoring and Smithing to GM (Credits to Dalavar and Capt Morgan!)
    Code:
    Tailoring Crafting Sequence:
    Note: Skills are (shown).
    NPC trained (~30) - 50: Fancy Shirts
    50 - 55: Fancy Dress
    55 - 74.6: Robes
    74.6 - 99.6: Oil Cloth
    99.6 - GM: Studded Gorget

Smithing Crafting Sequence:
    Note: Skills are (shown).
    NPC trained (~30) - 45: Mace
    45 - 53: Maul
    53 - 70: Kryss
    70 - 86: Short Spear
    86 - 95: Platemail Gorget
    95 - GM: Platemail Gloves

Tailoring Crafting Macro:
    Note: You can paste this into your macro folder and switch the target by type.
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3997|True
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.2500000
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|300
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|21|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|300
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3999|True
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|7933

This macro will double click a sewing kit, craft last, then double click scissors, and cut item by type.

Additional information on leveling smithing and the macros needed to do so can be found here:
    http://uorforum.com/threads/gming-blacksmithing-under-40k-ingots.7094/
    All credits to Captain Morgan!

Super Bonus Mini Guide: Adding a new macro to Razor
    Code:
    1. Go to Windows Explorer
    2. Go to C:
    3. Go to Users
    4. Select the User you use
    5. In the URL bar, change the location to C:\Users\_____\AppData (the blank is your user name)
    6. Go to Roaming
    7. Go to Razor
    8. Go to Macros

See image below!

macros.png
    gitchu1000, compsays, eherruh and 6 others like this.
  3. Gideon Jura

PART II: THE MATCH

Alright!

Once you've been pulling BODs for awhile, you'll accumulate a collection of BODs and you'll want to start matching them up. Doing small BODs nets some gold and smaller rewards, but you really don't want to be wasting valuable pieces to sets that way. Instead, you will want to start organizing your BODs.

Organizing BODs into sets is the steepest learning curve of this whole process - so stay sharp and listen up!

The thread below details all the various rewards available through the BOD system. You will want to give it a quick read to make sure you understand which rewards I'm talking about from here out.

UO:R Official BOD Guide including reward item images:
    http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-blog-the-bulk-order-reward-review.568/

This is a personal call but personally I think you have to bite the bullet and pickup some BOD Books (shown below).

book1.png

You can either fill some small BODs to have a 10% chance to get them (which I don't really recommend), or ask in IRC if somebody has a few you can have or buy. They are fairly common and should cost you less than 1,000 gold each.

The books are extremely useful because you can drop BODs onto them and then you can double click the book to bring up the menu shown below.

book2.png

You'll notice the following buttons:

Set Filter - Opens a menu which allows you to search the contained BODs by size (small vs large), Quality (exceptional vs normal), Skill (Tailoring vs Smithing), etc. (shown below).

Clear Filter - I've had a little trouble with this button because it seems to work sometimes but not others. Typically I go to Set Filter and within that menu select Clear Filter and Apply. This seems to always work and removes any active filters.

There are additional options which are pretty helpful which allow you to name your book and also give it one of 4 hues which can help you quickly identify the book you're looking for. (also shown below)

book3.png

cbd.png

At this point I would highly suggest taking some time to drop BODs into books and learn how to navigate the book options.

Alright, so this section is all about Matching up Sets - but the hard part will be trying to figure out which sets are worth working towards. Theoretically, you could setup a system of BOD books and work continuously on all available sets, but I think that could become pretty overwhelming.

What I do is shape my organizing around the available rewards. For example, for tailoring, CBDs (clothing bless deeds) are relatively easy to match and fill. They also sell for a good amount of gold (80k to 100k). So I have a book or two dedicated to CBDs. Tapestries on the other hand, only sell for about 20k and are equally difficult to match and fill. However, I like using them for deco so I find it worthwhile to work towards them and have a book dedicated to them.

So basically my organizing strategy looks something like this:

organize.png

Everybody will come up with their own solution, however, so I'm not trying to say my way is best. Try something out and keep working to improve it - and then report back on your findings!

So at this point you have an idea of the way to organize these puzzle pieces, but you still need to figure out which BODs produce which rewards.

This is the hard part so stay focused!

Behold, the Tailoring Reward Matrix:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/bod/tailor.html

And if you were curious, this is the Tailoring Reward Gold Matrix:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page=g_bod_tailor_gold

Both of the above are completely overwhelming at first so allow me to cast a quick In Lor...

Seeing through the Matrix:

matrix tailoring 0.png

Ok so check it out now!

Beautiful Simplicity:

[​IMG]

The matrix above has been edited to show you where the most desirable rewards are located on the matrix. I'll do a quick walk through for you.

First of all, these aren't the only sets you want to go for. These are just the ones I like to focus on, personally.

You'll notice that almost none of the red boxes are around "normal" sets. The reason here is that while it seems like it would be easier to fill these, it's actually harder because normal BODs seem to be more rare than exceptional. So you can set them aside and fill them at your leisure but you'll have an easier time matching up sets for exceptional items.

This image might also be pretty helpful, it details the specific sets into outfits that some people find easier to memorize. Credits to Tower of Roses.

[​IMG]

*Note: I've been told that the hat LBODs can be worth doing if you have left overs because they result in CBDs if they are 10 / 15 and can be a bit easier as they don't require footwear (which can be a bottleneck).

UPDATE!
    Our agents have succeeded in breaking into AlexCCCP's fortress and we recovered his secret to Tailoring BOD success - BEHOLD!

[​IMG]

Thanks Alex for the generous sharing of knowledge!

Pretty important thing to note:

Cloth is relatively cheap (from NPCs or other players) at about 2g per yard. Leather is a big pricier at 6g per piece from NPCs. Spined, Horned, and Barbed can start to get pretty expensive as you have to seek out other players to obtain them. Generally Horned is cheapest since fishers produce a lot of it - I've seen it go for as low as 15g each. Spined and Barbed can go for 20g a piece or more.

Additionally, while crafting cloth and leather is generally not too much of an issue and you won't fail too often (even to craft exceptional pieces), studded and bone armors are an entirely different story. These items are quite difficult to produce (especially bone, PLUS they require bones which aren't exactly easy to collect in large quantities).

For the reasons above, I prioritize cloth and leather armor BODs but do not prioritize studded or bone sets. If I complete them, great, but I'd probably just sell them if given the chance.
    I'm going to start from the bottom and work my way up.

The box at the very bottom right is around the hanging armor, ore mask dye, and special mask dye. These sets are the top tier for Tailoring, especially special mask dyes which sell for 100k to over a million gold each. You'll notice that you need a 6 piece set which includes spined exceptional 20x, any 6 piece exceptional horned, or any 6 piece exceptional barbed. So I'd suggest making a BOD book for those sets and anytime you find a piece that matches, throw it in the book. Occasionally go through the book to check how close you are to getting a full 6/6 on the smalls + the corresponding large. If needed, buy or trade for the last few pieces!

The next red box up also contains the hanging armor, ore mask, and special mask dyes. All these are definitely worth completing (hanging armor is up to you, personally I stopped filling those and prioritize the masks dyes now).

Moving up from there you'll see 7 smaller boxes. These contain Bear Rugs, CBDs, Tapestries, and Black Dye Tubs. All of these sell quickly to other players for good money. I'll list prices in Part IV: The Market.

This image shows me working on a set to create a CBD. Hopefully! There is a 50% chance you'll get a CBD and a 50% chance of a leather dye tub (worth much less), as shown in the included portion of the matrix I'm working on.

You can see in my BOD book I have 3 pieces so far - the Large and the 2 Smalls for Bandana and Shirt. I just need 2 more (thigh boots and skirt) and I'm in the money!

[​IMG]

The last 2 boxes are blue and contain cloth and leather small BODs. You might be wondering - "But Gideon, you said not to waste your time with small BODs" - which is true, however, you'll find that over time you're usually working on matching up sets in the red boxes (and occasionally elsewhere) but you will steadily build up a supply of small BODs which don't match up with anything useful.

These smalls you start building up are referred to by the BOD community as 'flips' or 'resets'. Typically when a player has built up a decent pile of these, they'll fill them all up and turn them in, making sure to request a new BOD after each turn in (remember, turning in a BOD resets your cooldown!). This allows you turn useless BODs into new, hopefully useful BODs! We'll discuss this more in Part V: The Flip.
    So hopefully the above information is not too overwhelming.

Essentially you need to learn the ins and outs of the reward matrix, develop an efficient sorting system, figure out which BODs you have and which you need, and then start completing sets!!

Assuming all that is clear, I've done a quick run through of smithing BODs and rewards below. There really isn't that much of a difference in the process, however, there are more worthwhile rewards and more ways to complete those sets, resulting in more boxes to worry about.

Smithing Reward Matrix:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/bod/smith.html

Smithing Reward Gold Matrix:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page=g_bod_smith_gold

[​IMG]

You can see that just like with tailoring, I didn't highlight any normal quality sets. This doesn't mean you shouldn't do them, just that I don't focus on them. My goals are, working from the bottom of the chart and moving up, to match up:

Sets for Valorite Runic Hammer (requires 20x exceptional valorite platemail set).

Sets for Standing Armor and Verite Runic Hammers (several ways to accomplish this, as shown).

Sets for Phoenix Armor deeds, Agapite Runic Hammers, and Golden Runic Hammers.

Sets for Hanging Metal Armor and Braziers.

Sets for hanging shields (cool deco item and easy to match! shown in yellow).

Anything left over I generally just throw into the blue area and complete/turn in as a flip (again, we'll go over that later). The next thing about smithing flips is those rewards in the blue box are top tier! I'll go over the specifics of each in Part IV: The Market, but as a quick rundown you can expect to receive the following rewards: Prospector Tools, Gargoyle Shovels (replace the +1/+3/+5 gloves shown in the matrix as of a somewhat recent patch), Gargoyle Pickaxes, Fortification Powders, Hued Anvils, BOD books, Lesser Quality Runic Hammers (dull through bronze), and even the occasional Hanging shield!

UPDATE!
    Our agents have succeeded in breaking into Captain Morgan's fortress and we recovered his secret to Blacksmithing BOD success - BEHOLD!

[​IMG]

Thanks Capt for the generous sharing of knowledge!!
    Pretty important thing to note:

Everything is fairly trivial to craft (even exceptional) for Blacksmithing, however, you'll burn through ingots FAST. You'll find immediately that you'll be in short supply of ingots. You can buy iron ingots from vendors using macros (much like folks do to buy regs in bulk), but colored ingots will become a bottleneck. You will want to hunt down other players or find a good way to acquire large quantities of these yourself. I'll go over this more in Part V: The Flip.

Platemail is actually quite challenging to craft in exceptional quality, however. Filling a 20x Large BOD with plate will seem rough the first time through. Don't worry though - the reward and gold bonus is huge! You won't regret the trouble - you'll just need to find a way to more quickly acquire those ingots and fill those BODs!
    Essential Learning:
    • Matching up sets takes some time but being organized pays dividends! Setup a system of BOD books (acquired from fellow players at about 1,000 gold per), and get to sorting!
    • Organizing by material type or reward (or another system, your choice!) and familiarizing yourself with the reward matrix will speed up your matching process. The longer you work with the reward matrix, the more you'll learn and the quicker you're recognize pieces you have and need.
    • Match sets, fill, and make it rain gold!
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    puppz, Seba, eherruh and 7 others like this.
  4. Gideon Jura

PART III: THE FILL

Sets are matched and ready to go - now for the fun part!

FILL EM UP!

I've broken this section into two short videos to change it up!

Video 1:
    This video shows me using 3 different razor macros to quickly fill three small BODs. After making the items I combine the items with the BOD with a single click (thanks Telamon for that amazing feature). I then turn in each BOD, remembering to request a new BOD after each turn in (netting me 3 brand new BODs).

Video 2:
    This video shows me using the first macro to fill each of the 4 Small BODs before combining them into the Large BOD. You can see that I completed my CBD set by aquireing the 10x exceptional skirt and 10x exceptional thigh boot BODs. I did this by flipping to get the first and trading with a friend to get the second. Both of which I will talk more about in parts V and VI.

Bonus Mini-Guide: 3 simple Razor Macros to help you fill BODs
    Code:
    Remember to change the tool type in game.

Assistant.Macros.ForAction|9
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:05
    Assistant.Macros.EndForAction

Assistant.Macros.ForAction|14

Assistant.Macros.ForAction|19

Essential Learning:
    • Filling small BODs goes much faster with Razor macros.
    • Exceptional items can present a little difficulty from time to time. Don't hesitate to smelt the unexceptional and bang out a few more items to fill that BOD!

• Always remember to immediately collect a new BOD after turning in any filled BOD - even larges! It's easy to forget!

• Bank your rewards quickly and get back to work!
    Seba, eherruh, bart simpson and 5 others like this.
  5. Gideon Jura

PART IV: THE MARKET

Ok so you're rollin around in BODs, matching up sets, filling sets, and turning them in - now what?

12.png

Well if Jesse and Mr. White taught us anything - now we make CASH.

I've put together the following spreadsheet to help you out - but mostly because you can always use MORE SPREADSHEETS.

In the sheet below you can see the 20 possible BOD reward categories for Tailoring across the top. Below that I have put a description for each, a simple rating of how difficult they are to acquire during your BOD adventure, and how much you can expect to return on them. Additionally, I put what I feel to be the easiest way of getting those items out to market.

Please keep in mind that this is just my viewpoint and the prices I've listed are ballpark. They will fluctuate as market conditions change - quite often in fact. For example, during events people typically start blessing more clothing, masks, and sandals so you can see the price of particular hues of cloth, sandals, and CBDs jump. Alternatively, house deco contents can cause stretched hides, tapestries, rugs, and hanging armors to jump in price.

So get a feel for the market and price your wares according to what you feel they are worth! Set up a shop and push wares out to the public using NPC vendors, establish a good rep and sell bulk items or premium items, and hawk those rares in UORTrade. Get paid son!

tailoring matrix 2.png

Below is the Blacksmithing Reward Market Matrix (tm). Have fun and remember - sell your wares for what you feel they are worth!

Please note that the mining gloves in column 2 are now Gargoyle Shovels.

smithing matrix 2.png

Essential Learning:
    • Know your wares and your customers.
    • Find good price points and quick ways to move items.
    • Get rich!
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. Gideon Jura

PART V: THE FLIP

FLIP.jpg

A time will come when you've run out of sets to complete and you're bored of pulling and trading and hunting for those last pieces. You've pulled and pulled and pulled and you're looking at a fat stash of smalls thinking "Why! Why aren't you an Apagite 20x exception plate helm!? Why!?"

In this moment of desperation - and wisdom - you will turn to the Dark Side and you will embrace The Flip.

[​IMG]

So anything that doesn't match your sets is eligible to be a flip, however, I think you should prioritize as follows:

Tailoring
    Optimal: Small Cloth
    Desperation Time: Small Regular Leather (no studded or bone)
    Avoid/Trash: Everything else

Blacksmithing
    Optimal: Small Irons (no plate), Small of all other colors (again, no plate)
    Avoid/Trash: Everything else

The sweet thing about the Flip is check out those rewards:

[​IMG]

Tailoring Flips will net you the following rewards of note:
    Rare hue cloth and sandals, BOD books, and possibly black dye tubs.

Smithing Flips are a whole different animal - they generate the following rewards:
    Gargoyle shovels (they replace the gloves shown on the chart), Gargoyle picks, Prospector Tools, Fortpowder, as well as the occasional hued anvil, hanging shield deed, and a nice pile of low quality runic hammers.

If you'd like, you can go back to section IV: The Market for a bit to check out the values on some of those but suffice to say, between the gold reward on the turn in and the rewards themselves, if you manage to setup a shop with a lot of visitors, you'll be rolling in gold in no time. Not to mention each flip generates a new pull! Jackpot!

Bonus Mini-Guide: 3 simple Razor Macros to help you fill BODs
    Code:
    Remember to change the tool type in game.

Assistant.Macros.ForAction|9

Assistant.Macros.ForAction|14

Assistant.Macros.ForAction|19

With a decent sized collection, flips themselves won't be the rate determining step in the equation. It should take you awhile to knock them all out, turn them in, collect new BODs, and then flip the flips from among those pulled (also known is flipception).

Eventually you might be on the hunt for large supplies of flips.. maybe even dreaming about them and waking up in the middle of the night wondering where you've gone wrong. Don't worry, acceptance is the first step on the path to greatness!

The rate determining step and the biggest hurdle to learning the art of The Flip will be acquiring the raw resources to keep those BODs churnin - Cloth, Leather, Iron, and colored ingots. So let's get our learn on!

Cloth
    The image below details the cloth creation process. Seems humble, but it's tried and true and won't do you wrong. Just mark all the flax, cotton, and sheep pens in the world and set yourself up a runebook. Maybe even create a few sheep farms. There's a ton of information out there but cloth can be made with not too much effort - or purchased from players or NPCs. At 1-2 gold per yard you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping this resource in supply.

[​IMG]

Regular Leather
    The easiest way to stockpile regular leather is mark runes to all the Tanners in Sosaria and travel around buying out their supply. In a few cycles you'll have them all up to 999 and you'll have a huge supply. While expensive, it's considerably easier and probably more efficient than slaughtering animals.

Spined Leather
    Spined leather drops off snakes and lizards and such. Generally folks prefer to farm ratmen and lizardmen - awesome locations are Baracoon and Riktor Champions. In the lower tiers you can farm monsters like crazy and build up a huge supply.

Horned Leather
    Horned leather drops off drakes and sea serpents. I try to keep a tab on avid fishermen and buyout their supply.

Barbed Leather
    Barbed can be found from dragons so Destard is your best bet!

Iron Ingots
    The best way to build a pile of iron ingots is to either mine yourself (pretty slow and painful but I'll go over a few strategies below), buy from avid miners (generally newer players or folks who recall purchase from vendors like reg sellers do), or setup a recall macro and buy from vendors. If you join the blacksmithing guild you can get a discount and purchase them for 8gp each. Additionally, you can join the tinker guild to get the same discount from them (would need to do this on a separate character). If you're getting iron at 7 to 8.5 gold per ingot, you're doing good. Resources are in huge demand on UOR.

Colored Ingots
    Colored ingots end up being a huge bottleneck in your flip game because you can't buy them from vendors. You can mine the old fashioned way or setup a recall mining system - both are tried and true and there are guides in the guide section to help you out. Aside from purchasing off other players, which I totally recommend, I also think the following two strategies work extremely well:

Gargoyle Shovels
    [​IMG]

Once you've been in the game awhile you'll have a pretty big supply of these. I plan on writing a full guide for them but here's the basic summary:

Gargoyle shovels are akin to special fishing nets in that anybody can use them, regardless of skill. The restriction is that you have to use them in designated golem caves (typically indicated with obvious decor). Additionally, the shovel type determines the type of golems you'll pull (not the node type).

The strategy here is pretty simple - load up some shovels on a character, multiple characters, or with a friend or three, and go beat down some golems! Each golem will drop a lot of ore (about 50 ingots worth) as well as having a chance at platinum and statuettes.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gargoyle Pickaxe and Prospector Tool
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gargoyle pickaxes work a little differently. These require mining skill and are generic - meaning that they can be used anywhere you can mine. The node quality determines the ore and elementals (rather than golems) that you'll be pulling. Ore elementals drop about 50 ingots each as well as loot - gems, gold, magic items, maps, etc.

[​IMG]

A few more notes:
    1. The pickaxe acts like (and can stack with the effect of) a prospector tool - upgrading the ore quality from the node until it is depleted.
    2. The pickaxe has a chance to pull a stone elementals (rather than an ore elementals). These have a chance to drop up to 4 stone, sandstone, or marble ingots worth of ore.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The upgrading quality idea is a little confusing at first so I created the table below to help you understand the process. On the left is shown the base node quality. As you move right you can see the result of hitting that same node with various combinations of tools.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it's possible to upgrade a regular iron node all the way to shadow which will produce shadow elementals and stone elementals. This can be a really effective farming strategy if you want to strip mine a location with a miner dexer template (tamers and magic are pretty ineffective versus these monsters) or a team of characters.

All of the above information on resource gathering should provide you a good base to begin. I'll be creating a guide in the future to really get into the details on golem and elemental mining. Both are very fun and I've spent a lot of time in those caves.
    Essential Learning

• Flips can be extremely rewarding between the gold rewards, various reward items, and the new BODs you pull. The more efficiently you can flip, the faster you can complete large sets.
    • Flips burn through resources at an amazing rate. You will want to establish systems to replenish your cloth, leather, and ingot supplies!
    • Buying bulk flips might be worthwhile as it will allow you to churn through more pulls in search of those set pieces you're missing.
  7. Gideon Jura

PART VI: THE TRADE

At this point your head might be spinning a bit with all the information - but don't stress - it'll all come together in time!

This section is simply a reminder that in addition to pulling and flipping, another option always available is to trade with other players.

You can trade direct with players via IRC, the forums, and in game. Always, always, keep in mind, however, that BOD books can be random stolen, as can BODs themselves. The best way to show somebody the BODs you wish to trade is likely using a post on the forums and listing all BODs you wish to trade and all the BODs you are looking to acquire. This makes it fast and easy for other players to figure out what you've got and need.

Once you figure out a deal with the other player, an easy way to trade is by placing the BODs into BOD books and opening a trade window with the books. Within the trade window you can look through the book to make sure you're getting the item you requested (as can your trading partner).

The final advice I can offer is that a great option is to buy BODs off player NPC vendors or sell them yourself the same way. In the picture below you can see my BOD vendor where I typically list my BODS. The book allows you to price each individual BOD and customers can sort through them to find the one(s) they need.

bodsforsale.png
    Essential Learning

• Always look after the safety of your BODs - they can be stolen or looted.
    • Setup trades with other players via forums, IRC, and in game.
    • You can buy and sell BODs on NPC vendors.
    • Selling BODs (rather than filling or flipping them) is always an option.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. Gideon Jura

EPILOGUE

BETWEEN GENIUS AND MADNESS LIES THE GOLDEN PATH

Let it not be said that you were not warned!

The BOD Game is an adventure unlike any other – offering you a safe outlet in times of danger in which to finance your game goals. With a steady production of Tapestries, Clothing Bless Deeds, Fortification Powder, Picks and Shovels, along with the periodic Bear Rug, Brazier, and Mask Dye, you can be sure to enrich yourself and your game experience.

You will network with other BOD collectors, wholesalers, resource gatherers, and clientele. You might even establish a thriving store from which to sell your wares or end up apprenticing new players from which to buy resources.

Keep these positive outcomes in mind and try not to stress or dwell too much on some theoretical end game goal – for example, the elusive Valorite Runic Hammer. Simply be content in the process, the fruit of your labors, and know that all good things come with time.

hyping much.png

* Disclaimer:
    I did not make this hammer.

Good luck and happy BODing!

Gideon Jura

snake.png
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. Gideon Jura

The Grandmasters

I wanted to leave a spot to acknowledge the legendary BOD slayers of UO:R. The following image shows those who have crafted the much coveted Valorite Runic Hammer.

These are all exceptional players with a ridiculous amount of game knowledge. If you need help on your BOD adventure, hopefully they are available to help you as they certainly know their way!

smiths.png

The Masters

There's a wealth of knowledge available in our community! Off the top of my head, the following names come to mind: LesClaypool, AlexCCCP, Kane, Avelmira, TheDave, Avery, Darkwing, EriZ, SteelyDan, Basoosh, and many many more. if you need more help with the game - from direction to finding a missing piece of a set - seek these folks out!
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Kiryana, Rockers, rick and 8 others like this.
  10. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Wow Gideon, you are one crazy dude. Your guide is insane. Best of luck!

P.S. Great section on the market info, I think I'll refer to that for my bod reward peddling :)
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  11. Gideon Jura

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    bart simpson and Iago like this.
  12. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Wow Gideon, this is an excellent guide! Thanks for all the work, I may even do a BOD (help me).
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Well-Known Member

Awesome guide! I'm not sure how I'm just coming across it. I got to check out the guide section more often. :)
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  14. Eugen

Eugen Active Member

10/10 would read again
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  15. Fungus

Fungus Member

I'm starting out on this path and this is a great read for me so mahoosive thanks!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  16. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

You made my BODing life SO much easier. This macro is wonderful!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  17. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

Great Guide! Includes everything + recognition!!

HYPE TRAIN!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  18. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Heya @Gideon Jura , I noticed that the template shown (like the first picture in the whole guide) doesn't have mining.
    I assume it's purley a collector and not used for crafting then, right?

Do any of your BoDers have mining, do you have a battle miner standby, or what?
  19. Gideon Jura

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  20. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Gideon Jura likes this.