The Free Watchmen ~VoP~

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by The Watch, Aug 28, 2013.

1. The Watch

The Watch Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Ascher trotted his horse between the trunks. The glow of the shrine was unmistakable here. He was so close that at times, between the trunks, he would catch a glimpse of a white marble column, or the shimmering water of the reflecting pool.

It was a comfort to know the shrine was still there. Just as it was a comfort to know that the Village was still there. And it was for that reason that Ascher Kraw rode tonight.

A thick band of ettins had come through a few days earlier, the strange wanderer he'd found and then immediately lost, and the strange trail of an undead bear... There were deep and dark things moving in the woods these days. And such things often had no respect for the peace of the village, town, or shrine.

And so, Ascher rode patrol. It was lonely work, and often he rode alone. He would fight whatever darkness he found, for he'd once been told, "As long as a single candle burns, the darkness cannot be complete."

Suddenly, there was a dwarf walking next to his horse. Ascher started, and his hand went immediately to his bow. He notched an arrow, but didn't draw it. The dwarf wasn't doing anythign threatening... just walking.... for the moment.

The dwarf extended his hand, after a moment, "I am Kiln," He said.

Ascher frowned, but afte a brief hesitation, he released the arrow and took Kiln's hand, "Ascher Kraw."

The dwarf smiled, "I know," He said simply, "Your reputation precedes you. A certain Wizard friend we have in common speaks quite highly of you. He has suggested that I take you on as our first official Watchman. Are you interested?"

Ascher nodded, "Yes, I definitely am."

Kiln eyed him for a long moment, his eyes seemed to weigh every inch of him, but finally the dwarf nodded at Ascher. "Very well," He said, "You'll have your chance. We'll see if you're worthy to take the oaths."

Ascher nodded, and saluted sharply, "I will defend the weak," He said in a loud voice, "I will pursue the guilty, I will champion the just. I will keep the long watch. I will stand against the darkness. I will keep the Watch."

Kiln nodded approvingly, "You know the old words. That is a good sign..." The dwarf's eyes suddenly looked cold and hard as gray granite, "But it is not enough."