The great UO:R thieving contest - December 2015

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by BlackEye, Dec 1, 2015.

1. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

UPDATE:

The contest is over and I am glad to announce it was a success (because I say so)!!! Thanks to everybody who participated!

We had in total 11 adventures contributed by a cool number of 7 thieves, who also unlocked 5 perks.

Although for most thieves the thrill and adrenalin rush of thieving is reward enough, I am sure, you are eager to hear the winners of this contest.
    I had the hard task to judge all the contributions fairly and I hope everybody will be satisfied with my choices. I will try to provide my reasoning, but as initially stated in the OP below, I am considering "creativity, persistence, value of stolen goods, manners during and after the player interaction, supportive media (photos and videos) and your skills in story telling."

Judging.jpg

Best thieving adventure: The Crooked Warden! Congratulation!
    This is the big price. Until the last days, it looked like A White Zombie (high value AFK-steal of the xmas scroll plus his great use of it in a team run) or Steely Dan (very skilled weapon steal with proper timing which is very difficult on the field) would win, but The Crooked Warden's spectacular 64 hcoin steal in front of several NPCs (and me) as well as the follow up steal of the fishing net piece made it in the end. The story telling with supportive screenshots was also flawless. Sadly, Random awoke some days too late from his winter sleep, which I have to consider when judging. Otherwise, his house inspection would have been a very promising candidate.

Best newcomer thief: Steely Dan! Congratulation!

Out of the 7 contributing players, four thieves were sharing their adventures for the first time. I want to thank all of you and gratulate you to your first thief stories (of which I am aware of at least) @Russell, @a white zombie , @Puck, @SteelyDan. I must say that Steely Dan's weapon steal was very impressive and that's why I chose him to be the best newcomer thief. You indeed have to have nerves like steel in order to hide on the edge of the screen, waiting for the right moment to run to the mark and snatch his prized weapon taking screenshots along the way. Bonus karma handed out for saving a reindeer, too!

Best x-mas related tale: A White Zombie! Congratulation!
    Nice steal of the x-mas scroll and very cool to run it yourself with some friends instead of just selling it. That's the proper holiday spirit. Also thanks for your numerous contributions and kudos to your creative use of mob luring.

Best looks during thieving: The Crooked Warden! Congratulation!
    Phew, difficult choice. Russell certainly looks great with his outfit. But he already knows that and his ego is big enough already. :p And Puck definitely looks good too in his purpleness. But in the end, The Crooked Warden's style won this category: cool white hair and neon green beard, complete Valorite outfit and a pimp ethereal llama. Gratz!

Honorable mentions:
    This category was meant to be for all participating thieves who did not win the big price (best thieving adventure), but accomplished great steals or feats.

- A White Zombie for his many nefarious mob-kill contributions punishing idlers in cities.
    - Random for his unrivaled house inspection skills. If he just had woken up earlier from his slumber... :eek:

That's it. Game over. Telamon already agreed to provide plat trophies for the contest. Once I have the rewards, I will try to get in touch with all of you for the exchange. Oh, and I will copy-paste all your contributions into the big thieving thread in the Salty Dog as one big post. I hope that's fine with all of you.

Thanks again for participating and good luck with your (roguish-)adventures in 2016!

-------------------------

Original post:

Hear ye, hear ye, all ya roguish folks and honest businessmen living in the shadows,

hereby I want to announce a thieving contest which will hopefully challenge your guts and enflame your creativity: From 1st December to New year's eve you are invited to share your thieving related adventures in this thread and thus partake in the contest. I will judge your contributions and choose the winners of the respective categories (see table below). Your tales will be judged for such things like creativity, persistence, value of stolen goods, manners during and after the player interaction, supportive media (photos and videos) and your skills in story telling.

Naturally, there will be prizes for the winner(s), which can be seen in the table below. You will also recognize fields with question marks, which are hidden achievements - maybe the prizes can give you a clue? ;)

Prize table.jpg [​IMG]

This means, if you are a fabulous looking new thief writing the best tale which coincidentally is xmas related, you can win up to 70 hcoins + extras. :eek:

One remark about the term "thieving": I include all roguish/shadowy ways of acquisition of goods that are not brute-force no-interaction PKing (killing is not necessarily excluded). It's not required to use the ingame skill "stealing".

In case you need some stimulation and ideas I recommend reading the following threads: the big UO:R thieving thread, snap dragon's tales, SJ's threads like this one.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Jupiter, Random, newme and 14 others like this.
  2. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Awesome idea BlackEye, thanks for this!
    newme likes this.
  3. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Fantastic idea. Thanks for this @BlackEye. Can't wait for the tales!
    newme likes this.
  4. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Please report any suspicious looking persons to:

Stormhold Bureau of Investigation (SBI)
    Chief Erza Scarlet
    North of Vesper
    FELUCCA
    newme, ebola, BlackEye and 2 others like this.
  5. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member

Btw..

Hows about a bonus category for thief hunters @BlackEye ?
    The Donuts seems to be a reasonable trophy for it ;)
    newme likes this.
  6. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Hahaha

I'm going to have to break my habit of never thinking to take screenshots.
    newme and BlackEye like this.
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Hmm. Be the behavior you want to see more of.

Bloody brilliant! I'm psyched!!!!

[​IMG]
    BlackEye likes this.
  8. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Well I guess I'll kick this thing off!

Having recently moved in beside @Azoth 's rare vendor in Yew, I found myself particularly low on funds after acquiring some needed decorations for my Villa. I set forth to the famed Blood Elementals in search of riches. Unfortunately, upon recalling in, I appeared right next to none other than Coressa. Attempting to fool her, I ran away and stealthed back to her position, only to be embarrassingly revealed with my hand in her pocket! I knew this was going to be a tough steal but I wasn't ready to give up. I stealthed back in one last time and was able to "last target" a wonderful treasure map without being detected. With a quick mount of my Llama, I ran in for the map and made my get away.
    a.png a2.png

Later in the afternoon, I returned to my post at the Blood Elementals where I witnessed the Death Dealer known as crooks surrounded by numerous dead bodies. With a diseased elemental not far away, I returned to the shadows in order to wait for the days next set of adventurers. Minutes later, crooks had resurrected the poor souls (Coressa AGAIN!) and was actually helping them to kill this creature! As it reached it's final health points, crooks recalled away, leaving the poor Coressa standing there with platinum in her backpack. I once again mounted my trusty steed and ran away with the riches in pocket.
    a3.png a4.png
    skratt, Random, newme and 4 others like this.
  9. BlackEye

Thanks for the nice words so far and gratz to The Crooked Warden for posting the first thieving tale and thus unlocking the first hidden achievement! One also should note CW's excellent valorite looks on his llama ethereal. That's definitely some points in style worth.

I also added/changed some perks. @Erza Scarlet , there might already be a thief hunter related perk in there. Or perhaps not! :p I suggest you try your luck and post some of your law enforcement tales in here too, I am sure it will be worth it. :rolleyes: I wouldnt want to create another category for it though, but I will consider any good police tale for honorable mentions as long as it's wrapped up in a good story.

@wylwrk

[​IMG]
    newme and wylwrk like this.
  10. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

+1 for Christmas colored image borders
    newme and BlackEye like this.
  11. BlackEye

12. Russell

Russell Well-Known Member

The Idoc looting is over when I say it is!

Felix_12-14_21.15-2.jpg
    BlackEye, wylwrk and bart simpson like this.
  13. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I love this idea.
    newme likes this.
  14. BlackEye

Go go, xmas event started. So far, the development of this thread is showing a very desolate state of the thieving community on UO:R...

EDIT: YOU can change that! :D
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    newme and a white zombie like this.
  15. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I was trying to get in the spirit of the holidays, but since the dungeons are so full right now, decided to earn some holiday rewards in a less than legitimate way. Hoping for a scroll, I settled with the holiday coin that dropped. Hopefully, more adventures will follow. Wish me luck!
    Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 7.39.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 7.41.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 7.41.53 PM.png
    Random, newme, BlackEye and 1 other person like this.
  16. BlackEye

Gratz to your first posted adventure. I am always weary when I see "of the lake" on my non-thieves. ;)
    newme likes this.
  17. a white zombie

a white zombie Active Member

In a most unfortunate turn of events for one afk Delucian banksitter, a glimmer of Christmas Cheer valuing 650k fell into my thief's backpack.

Attached Files:

• Dang.jpg
      Dang.jpg
      File size:
      693.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

The cell phone screenshots always give me a chuckle.
  19. a white zombie

a white zombie Active Member

I had to show my homie what I just did. I was too excited for screen shots. I had no intention to enter a thief contest until I realized the magnitude of it. I wish I had better proof, but it was all so sudden. Well, I suppose you could ask KickingWing.
    edit..
    KickingWolf
    Sry pal

And here is the results! (edited Christmas Eve). Look how beat down we are Micheal of Vick_12-24_11.37.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    newme, BlackEye and Million like this.
  20. Million

Million Active Member

Ya no doubt one of the best steals ive seen yet

White zombie
    newme and a white zombie like this.